Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 09:30 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Best option is probably a JoeZ pipe with a K&N drop-in filter. Cheaper than the F Sport, same gains, same sound.

But if you want that aggressive sucking sound when you rev it, the exposed filter intakes will do it. F Sport and Joe Z will not.
Not quite. You'd need to drill a hole in your intake box in order to achieve a similar sound with a Joe Z pipe + K&N filter.
Old 09-05-12, 10:25 AM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Not quite. You'd need to drill a hole in your intake box in order to achieve a similar sound with a Joe Z pipe + K&N filter.
is that recommended?
Old 09-05-12, 10:36 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by FinsIS250
is that recommended?
If you want that "whoosh" sound at higher RPMs.
Old 09-05-12, 11:09 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

is that recommended?
I've seen many IS owners do this, infact its more cost effective. But that being said you do own a GTR so im sure dropping dollars isnt a problem.

Very interesting contrast you have here you own a IS 250 and a Nissan GTR, must be 50k difference in those purchases. Everyone I know who owns a GTR wouldn't have purchased the baby of the IS family. Just saying...
Old 09-05-12, 12:08 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have K&N as well and I hear that sound clearly
Old 09-05-12, 12:09 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is that recommended?
Why not is just drilling some holes in the plastic...the FSport intake airbox comes with that extra hole, but we can just DIY and make our own
Old 09-05-12, 12:40 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
If you want that "whoosh" sound at higher RPMs.
I'd say it's more of a "gggrrrraaaaa" sound than anything haha!

it's at least 3.5/4k rpm that you can actually hear it growl. Short rams are the loudest and the aforementioned cold air are good in their own rite but frankly with a 250 you're aiming for sound over performance.

Hope that helped.
Old 09-05-12, 01:02 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Onomatopoeia was never my forte.
Old 09-05-12, 08:38 PM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

I love my GTR that's my baby, my IS is my everyday car now for work and stuff but i also want it to be as fly as possible..why waste money on an IS-F when I got a GTR its the same almost..

I also have a subaru which im selling.

Originally Posted by TooFly4Ya
I've seen many IS owners do this, infact its more cost effective. But that being said you do own a GTR so im sure dropping dollars isnt a problem.

Very interesting contrast you have here you own a IS 250 and a Nissan GTR, must be 50k difference in those purchases. Everyone I know who owns a GTR wouldn't have purchased the baby of the IS family. Just saying...
Old 09-14-12, 07:12 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Best option is probably a JoeZ pipe with a K&N drop-in filter. Cheaper than the F Sport, same gains, same sound.

But if you want that aggressive sucking sound when you rev it, the exposed filter intakes will do it. F Sport and Joe Z will not.
I heard that ppl are have problems with the MAF sensor going bad after using the K&N because of the oils on it. any truth to this?
Old 09-27-12, 12:15 AM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Low Life
I heard that ppl are have problems with the MAF sensor going bad after using the K&N because of the oils on it. any truth to this?
After how many miles? i havent had any problems and i put on over 2000 miles on my k&n so far.
Old 10-01-12, 07:48 AM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

you use an intake on the is350? but its not really needed, did you see any difference? maybe on the mpg.

Originally Posted by Adam350is
After how many miles? i havent had any problems and i put on over 2000 miles on my k&n so far.
Old 10-01-12, 08:03 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

you use an intake on the is350? but its not really needed, did you see any difference? maybe on the mpg.
The only difference you will see in MPG is negative because your accelerating more to hear the intake.

How would the intake affect MPG in a positive way? Its just replacing a tube and filter. Its sucking hot air, not cold air like a CAI would...
Old 10-01-12, 09:02 AM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

If used properly like not accelerating more, the engines breathes better........therefore better mpg, my is250 went from 22 mpg to 27mpg and thats with pedaling to the metal.

Originally Posted by bob4256
the only difference you will see in mpg is negative because your accelerating more to hear the intake.

How would the intake affect mpg in a positive way? Its just replacing a tube and filter. Its sucking hot air, not cold air like a cai would...
Old 10-01-12, 09:07 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
How would the intake affect MPG in a positive way? Its just replacing a tube and filter. Its sucking hot air, not cold air like a CAI would...
The aftermarket intakes increase the flow of air being sucked into the throttle body. This is mainly due to the aftermarket piping being smooth compared to the ridged OEM piping. The reason for the ridged OEM piping is to reduce noise. It works similarly to how a resonator in an exhaust system works.

The minimal increase in air flow should increase MPG, but it is very marginal, and further reduced by the fact that the filter sits in the engine bay, where it will mostly be sucking in warm air instead of the more dense cold air. These types of intakes (Takeda/aFe, Injen, K&N) will be the loudest, but the F-Sport and Joe Z should yield the better MPG results. Also, I think the F-Sport intake also uses a thinner filter, which would further increase air flow.

Quick Reply: Intake Sound?