Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Is the left side of your F-Sport exhaust louder and have more drone then the right?
Yes, there is a noticiable difference
26.09%
No
13.04%
I dont have an F-Sport Exhaust
60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Exhaust Sound: Driver vs Passenger

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 05:53 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Exhaust Sound: Driver vs Passenger

I just got my used F-Sport Exhaust and I installed it over the weekend. When it was time to give it a test run I immediately said WOW this is stupid loud! I drove it all over and I was super worried that every one I passed by would like there was some stupid civic huffing and puffing away. However when I let my brother drive and I rode shotgun the exhaust sounded amazing! It was perfect! I drove it again later that night but I started to get used to it, and it did not seem as loud as before.

Today going to work I started to enjoy it! I think it is funny that I do think the driver's side is a bit obnoxious but I still roll down my windows and leave the radio off. It is like I love hearing it even though it may be excessive

So the question is: Is your F-Sport Exhaust louder/more drone on the left(us driver) side then the right? I am worried that my exhaust has some sort of issue. The very interesting thing is that the right side is the muffled side of the exhaust so shouldn't it be softer?
Old 03-19-12, 06:04 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard somewhere that the right exhaust is a dummy, which might explain why its not as loud as the left (driver's) side - don't quote me on this since I follow several other forums as well, but maybe some others can chime in?

Also, the best way to gauge how loud your exhaust is is by having someone drive by/pull away while you're standing outside.
Old 03-19-12, 06:07 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

One side is an actual muffler.

The other side is empty to make it go VROOOOM!!

Enjoy the F Sport Exhaust ,) Step it up now with some Headers!
Old 03-19-12, 06:08 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Also, the best way to gauge how loud your exhaust is is by having someone drive by/pull away while you're standing outside.
Also agree with this, our cars sound meh inside because of all of the dampening.

Go stand a few feet behind it and have you buddy floor it and you will melt to the ground in bliss.
Old 03-19-12, 06:10 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I heard somewhere that the right exhaust is a dummy, which might explain why its not as loud as the left (driver's) side - don't quote me on this since I follow several other forums as well, but maybe some others can chime in?

You are correct the right is a resonance chamber it gives that really nice sound that I love. The right side is the actual muffed side and I thought maybe that should be quieter.

I did stand out side while my bro drove by and it had a good noise, I think i need more of this testing to convince myself it will never sound like a civic coffee can when I drive by people
Old 03-19-12, 07:18 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm i do not know if one side is louder than the other but I do like the way it sounds both inside and from the outside.
Old 03-20-12, 12:06 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by jbjones85
hmmm i do not know if one side is louder than the other but I do like the way it sounds both inside and from the outside.
I did some pretty detailed analysis this morning on my way to work. Here are my findings.

On little throttle input speed @ 35-40mph & revs@1.3-1.5k there is some serious vooom (drone) Then if I punch to 2k revs to accelerate it makes a completely different and awesome noise. I also think there is another drone at ~2.5k but going faster (40+ mph)

Can you guys agree that these are the two drone zones?

Here is my F-Sport Exhaust Drone Flowchart
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Exhaust Sound: Driver vs Passenger-drone.png  
Old 03-20-12, 12:43 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Every time I have my friends drive me around in my car, I feel like it's not as loud as when I drive it. *shrug*
Old 03-20-12, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yup the right side is just a test pipe essentially. This thread has every thing you need to know about the difference between F-Sport and Lexus HKS including pictures enjoy!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ds-inside.html
Old 03-21-12, 06:04 AM
pdpgps
Rookie

LOL to the drone flow chart. Someone has way too much time.

Glad you like the exhaust! I had no idea one of the exhausts was a dummy.
Old 03-21-12, 07:10 AM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yup the right side is just a test pipe essentially. This thread has every thing you need to know about the difference between F-Sport and Lexus HKS including pictures enjoy!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ds-inside.html
Yup but wouldn't that make that side(right) louder then the left muffled side? What I and others, as my poll seems to confirm, is that the opposite is true. The left side is louder!

In other news the exhaust passed the hardest test of all, The Girlfriend test. I kept asker her if she liked the sound, all she could say was that it was not quiet anymore and that she thinks I shouldn't have gotten it. I then asked if it sounded like crap and she said softly and reluctantly said no I think she likes it just a little!
Old 03-22-12, 02:03 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

Originally Posted by m4gicm4tt
Yup but wouldn't that make that side(right) louder then the left muffled side? What I and others, as my poll seems to confirm, is that the opposite is true. The left side is louder!

In other news the exhaust passed the hardest test of all, The Girlfriend test. I kept asker her if she liked the sound, all she could say was that it was not quiet anymore and that she thinks I shouldn't have gotten it. I then asked if it sounded like crap and she said softly and reluctantly said no I think she likes it just a little!
Get some videos up homie! If the drone gets too bad you could always overdrive it and put it in a higher gear :-/
Old 03-22-12, 03:06 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

^ We have an overdrive button? Where's it hiding?
Old 03-22-12, 07:51 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Get some videos up homie! If the drone gets too bad you could always overdrive it and put it in a higher gear :-/
It really is not a drone. I was so used to nothing coming from my engine(at low rpm) that any constant noise was too loud and a drone. I have come to enjoy the below 40 MPH @ ~1.4k ron noise. And sometimes I do step on it to hear it really purr on me
at2.5k rpm.

Basically I am really liking this bad boy and it is not as loud as I first came to realize.

I really think there is just a sudden shock from being whisper quiet to awesome performance car noise. Once you realize its ok for your car to sound awesome you come to accept it. I will see if I can post a daily driving video shortly.
Old 03-23-12, 08:47 AM
yoegster
Driver

Originally Posted by m4gicm4tt
It really is not a drone. I was so used to nothing coming from my engine(at low rpm) that any constant noise was too loud and a drone. I have come to enjoy the below 40 MPH @ ~1.4k ron noise. And sometimes I do step on it to hear it really purr on me
at2.5k rpm.

Basically I am really liking this bad boy and it is not as loud as I first came to realize.

I really think there is just a sudden shock from being whisper quiet to awesome performance car noise. Once you realize its ok for your car to sound awesome you come to accept it. I will see if I can post a daily driving video shortly.
I can't agree more. The biggest difference is that it is SOOOO different than stock. Also, there is no doubt there is a "break in" period, which when combined with the "getting use to" period makes it a great mod.
So, while I can't do a cool chart like the one above - I give you....
F-Sport Exhaust
Quite Stock Exhaust + Getting Use to It + Break In = Great, Deep, Sport sounding exhaust note

Quick Reply: F-Sport Exhaust Sound: Driver vs Passenger