Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anybody instaled a MKIV supra diff??? (I just did and had a nasty suprise)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 05:33 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody instaled a MKIV supra diff??? (I just did and had a nasty suprise)

I just been thru 5 hours of streching the rubber between the driveshaft and the diff to mate a TT automatic MKIV Supra on my GS300. Turns ouut everything else fit like a glove except that the flange on that diff is slighty bigger. Well the only other option would have been to swap the flange, but I didn't want to change the crush sleeve.

For those who did the swap is there a rubber available that fit both without steching the crap out of it (Supra, LS400, Soarer)?? I have a small vibration over 70mph and I'd like to be able to remove and instal this rubber easely to clock it for final tune or further work done on the car.

I did my research before and found nothing about that topic. I hate being a guinea pig, but at least now I know and now you guys too. I'll work to find a bolt on solution.

Can't wait to try tis thing in the snow. I won't have to rely on the crapy TRAC system anymore.
Old 10-10-11, 07:01 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you use an auto or 6spd diff? Auto is a direct bolt in whereas the 6spd requires you to swap flanges
Old 10-11-11, 10:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Did you use an auto or 6spd diff? Auto is a direct bolt in whereas the 6spd requires you to swap flanges
he asks about the differential but then mentions the tranny so i dunno what he put on

Originally Posted by rwdfreak
I did my research before and found nothing about that topic. I hate being a guinea pig, but at least now I know and now you guys too. I'll work to find a bolt on solution.
what research and about what? because they talk about which tranny's will fit ALL the time on here AND the supra's diff is a direct bolt on. i had one
Old 10-11-11, 03:06 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the confusion. I was a bit pissed and tired when I wrote the post.

I instaled the differentlial from an automatic TT MKIV Supra. Everything lined up perfectly except the flange. I just did a quick look on ******* and found out that the TT JZA80 with Auto trans has the same coupling flage (aka rubber between the shaft and the diff) as the UZS160, but the JZS160 has a different p/n.

If you take a carefull look back and forth between the UZS160 (JZS147 and MKIV Supra) and the JZS160 here are the main important part and their respective P/N

JZS160
Coupling: 37511-24010
Flange sub assembly: 41204-24020
Transmission Yoke (output): 34780-30070

UZS160
Coupling: 37511-30020
Flange sub assy: 41204-30040
Transmission Yoke: 34780-30060

From my understanding, the driveshaft between the tranny and the diff is bigger on a UZS160 than on a JZS160. The UZS160 share the same couplers, as the rest of the bunch SC, TT Aristo and TT auto Supra and the JZS160 is on it's own.

You guys are right it's bolt on... for a GS400, but not for a GS300. To properly fit a Torsen diff. from a TT auto Supra, you'd have to swap the Yoke which is a painfull and somewhat expensive task to do properly (by replacing the crush sleeve and adjusting the preload).
Old 10-13-11, 11:59 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did the Auto TT supra LSD on my sc430 direct swap. Are you sure you have the right rearend?
Old 10-13-11, 12:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdfreak
You guys are right it's bolt on... for a GS400, but not for a GS300.
im pretty certain its a direct bolt on EVEN for the GS300....several members have this, see below for my next thought

Originally Posted by GammaLex
I did the Auto TT supra LSD on my sc430 direct swap. Are you sure you have the right rearend?
i second this....are you sure you have the right rearend? it was a direct bolt on/off for my gs430 also
Old 10-13-11, 04:47 PM
samarooai1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone with a gs300 with a tt diff have any info to confirm? i have one to try this weekend on my gs300 will let u know how it goes
Old 10-13-11, 04:52 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

I bought it from a friend (Zazzn moderator on Supraforum and member here) that pulled it off from his 1991 Aristo (it was not stock). The diff, was drop on on his car. It was originaly sold to him by an other close friend (Phil Bridge from Adrenaline). It's writen on the diff, TT Auto. It's not big enough to be from a TT manual and It's a 3.73 ratio so it's not a N/A diff.

Like I said the p/n number for the rubber/coupling flanges are different from the GS400 and all the rest of the UZZ/JZZ, UZS/JZS Turbo and JZA80.

Why Toy o diy was censored?

Anybody with a JZS160 that has done it??
Old 10-14-11, 08:47 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GS300 has a different differential. Auto TT supra will fit GS400 and 430, but not 300, 300 has the same input shaft flange as the N/A Supra
Old 10-16-11, 07:40 AM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bippu147

If I had known this before I would have plan to swap the yoke or put the Torsen guts in the GS300 carrier. So far it works for me, but I dont know how long the coupling flange will last. I had a bitt of vibration at first, but it seems to cure itself overtime. This is the first time I drive a car with a Torsen and it sure lock well, but it's not as smooth as the Clutch type (Salisbury) diff I have in my Celica. Dunno if the chatter is normal or not when I make a sharp turn with low trottle input (like pulling from a parking spot).

Thanks for your inputs guys. Would you consider it a good thing to make a sticky thread about the Supra diff. swap and put all the info all at one place??? I could try to make more research and do a good write up.
Old 10-16-11, 10:45 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a DIY for this a few years ago, but my site went down when one of my hard drives in my server took a dump. The diff bolts up physically to the cars mounting points as well as the axles, but the driveshaft mating area is different sized. No need to swap the torsen LSD guts out.

Here is what you do, remove the companion flange(the 3 bolt flange going to the rubber driveshaft isolator) from the old GS300 diff, and swap it with the one on the TT diff. Simply remove the large(I think 32 or 34mm nut holding the 3 bolt flange on the diff) nut, and pull the flange out. Reinstall according to the factory manual specs and check preload on the diff. Replace the crush sleeve if necessary. When you're done, stake the nut and you're good to go. I've done it a few times and did not have to replace the crush sleeve, the torque I applied was enough to reach specified preload. Only once did I ever have to replace it. Just follow the factory manual and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-16-11, 10:53 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^haha yes that is the way to do it. but not everyone knows how to set up preload on a diff properly.

i would recommend getting a mechanic to do that. I've seen guys **** up diffs pretty good from attempting a DIY.
Old 10-17-11, 05:59 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks jeff for the tip.

I did it with one of my buddy who happens to be a good tunner/mechnics. At one point he suggested that we could swap the companion flange easely but even if our face turned red, blue and then purple, the stupid nut never came loose. So we went back to streching the crap out of the rubber. It works for now, ut I'm not a big fan of getto solutions.
Old 12-30-12, 09:35 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Pulling up from the dead to help some folks out.

1: Yes, a auto Supra TT diff will NOT mate to the driveshaft. They use different bolt circles on the flanges.

2: I was able to use the back half of an Aristo TT driveshaft with a front half stock driveshaft. Personally I find this easier than swapping companion flanges. When you mix and match the half shafts, make sure you align the front and rear flanges 180 out from each other (triangle flange to the transmission should be 180 out from the triangle going to the differential). There's also a preload nut on the slip joint but I found mine to be fine.

Though I haven't tried it, I would imagine the GS400 back half will mate to a GS300 front half just the same as the Aristo one did.
Old 12-31-12, 03:16 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
Pulling up from the dead to help some folks out.

1: Yes, a auto Supra TT diff will NOT mate to the driveshaft. They use different bolt circles on the flanges.

2: I was able to use the back half of an Aristo TT driveshaft with a front half stock driveshaft. Personally I find this easier than swapping companion flanges. When you mix and match the half shafts, make sure you align the front and rear flanges 180 out from each other (triangle flange to the transmission should be 180 out from the triangle going to the differential). There's also a preload nut on the slip joint but I found mine to be fine.

Though I haven't tried it, I would imagine the GS400 back half will mate to a GS300 front half just the same as the Aristo one did.
Not sure what modek Supra diff that you're usinb but my 3.73 torsen lsd diff is made for a '93-'95(?) auto Supra TT. Mine bolted up just fine. I bought mine new and it was the entire pumpkin. I have a GS400 and its been on there for over 5 years now; good luck!

Quick Reply: Anybody instaled a MKIV supra diff??? (I just did and had a nasty suprise)