ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-186/)
-   -   GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/595906-gs430-better-tranny-shifts-just-by-adjusting-dial.html)

GammaLex 10-04-11 07:19 PM

GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?

There was a thread before about the a650e tranny in the 430 that you can make it shift better just by adjusting the pressure regulator. Theres 3 settings its comes on the lowest setting factory. Has anyone done this? Will it decrease the life of the torque C or tranny unit? Looking forward to hearing feedback. Others said it was like a shift kit. You wont notice it in "D" just cruising but WOT shifts were alot quicker.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...Picture531.jpg

vwynn 10-04-11 08:43 PM

if anything i believe it would make it better on the transmission cuz it wont slip into gear causes more heat. least thats from what ive been reading in CL regarding valve body upgrades.

Rock-a-Lex 10-05-11 05:56 AM

Wow! This is pretty cool! So basically this tranny "adjustment screw" can be accessed simply by jacking the car up, going over to the driver's side and locating the tranny pan?

Tell me a little more about the shifts.

-Is it night and day difference?

-Do you feel like the car performs better? i.e. quicker as result?

-Have you been monitoring your tranny fluid every couple of days since this "mod?"

-How is normal acceleration, does it bang into gear? Only reason why I mentioned this is because sometimes when a VB upgrade is performed (increasing line pressure for firmer shifts) it shifts firm and fast at WOT but sometimes it really bangs into gear hard when driving casually.

-Lastly, is this the same layout for the GS400? I think they share the same type of tranny IIRC.

Thanks!

denut-L 10-05-11 08:02 AM

In for more info..gonna try this when when I get home from work :)

DeanGS 10-05-11 09:26 AM

While I have not done this on my GS there are a couple of things:
1) you will need to drop the transmission pan which means replacing the fluid
2) Not sure if you need to drop the valve body to get to the adjustment screw
3) Looking at the circuit diagram this will raise the pressure across the board (or rather reduce accumulator travel) which will increse both the speed and firmness of the shifts. It should be progressive though as it does not directly increase line pressure so the shifts will be close to norm at part throttle and then maybe a 10% increase at WOT.

I am curious as well for feedback from anyone that has done this.

Thanks

Rock-a-Lex 10-05-11 11:05 AM

Good stuff in here...keep this thread going. I like!!! :)

vwynn 10-05-11 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex (Post 6728849)
Wow! This is pretty cool! So basically this tranny "adjustment screw" can be accessed simply by jacking the car up, going over to the driver's side and locating the tranny pan?

Tell me a little more about the shifts.

-Is it night and day difference?

-Do you feel like the car performs better? i.e. quicker as result?

-Have you been monitoring your tranny fluid every couple of days since this "mod?"

-How is normal acceleration, does it bang into gear? Only reason why I mentioned this is because sometimes when a VB upgrade is performed (increasing line pressure for firmer shifts) it shifts firm and fast at WOT but sometimes it really bangs into gear hard when driving casually.

-Lastly, is this the same layout for the GS400? I think they share the same type of tranny IIRC.

Thanks!

i think the OP is trying to find more info on this :p haha. i dont think he tried this yet

GammaLex 10-05-11 01:33 PM

I have a 2800 stall in there now havent done this yet lol All you need to do is drop the pan and change the gasket the dial should be visable. I bumped the thread in the sc430 forum. Members have done it and said it works I figured theres way more performance minded folks in here than sc430s lol it should help with the GS crowd.

sinstrex 10-05-11 01:58 PM

this sounds pretty amazing!!! We need feedback.. Anybody who tries it first, please take some pictures :D

vwynn 10-05-11 02:27 PM

(place finger on nose). NOSE GOES!

someone should try it :)

denut-L 10-05-11 03:30 PM

Taking my tranny pan off as we speak. Can't wait to rerace my buddy's M3 again. This time I should pull him further before my speed cut off kicks in :)

vwynn 10-05-11 03:55 PM

DO IT MAN!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Cant wait for outcome :). see if you can do a DIY as well.

ill be needing to replace my tranny pan gasket/seal soon since its slowly leaking so itll give me something to do while im down there

sam430 10-05-11 07:23 PM

Nice find OP, this plus a tranny cooler is gold. Now, I'm gonna eye a dragon tc.

Rock-a-Lex 10-06-11 09:11 AM

Seriously, if this works it would make my car pull so much harder...plus it would hold me over until the SC install.

vwynn 10-06-11 09:17 AM

wait theres multiple sleeves. how come you only adjust just one vs maybe adjust the others as well?