Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

M2 Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 01:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stasis3131
good article joez , and they have some valid points and but they way i look at it its business nothing personal.

and joez i will be buying one of you intakes instead of the lexus fsport intake. should lexus be mad at you. lol hell no they shouldnt cause they now their stuff is over priced anyway and you are getting the same results if not better.

so kudos to you bro.... and soon as you have the blue or red anodized intakes in i am game to get one.
I thought it was a good article too...

For the record, Lexus could never be mad at me...

The "Joe Z Intake" for the IS250 / IS350 was released in the Spring of 2006..

**** F-Sport didn't come out till sometime in 2008.

Ever wonder why they didn't make another "Short Ram Intake" ?

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 05-09-11, 01:30 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I thought it was a good article too...

For the record, Lexus could never be mad at me...

The "Joe Z Intake" for the IS250 / IS350 was released in the Spring of 2006..

**** F-Sport didn't come out till sometime in 2008.

Ever wonder why they didn't make another "Short Ram Intake" ?

Best Regards,

Joe Z

haha thats cool you were ahead of them.... got me there. i wish all lexus cars had your intake instead at the price you sell em for.
shoot me a pm once you get more ready to roll
Old 05-09-11, 01:42 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MashinA
first off, let me begin by saying that i have both expensive jdm products on my car(exhaust, wheels, grille etc.) and i have replicas as well. In regards to the exhaust i dont think this exhaust is a knock off copycat...they made an exhaust called it M2 and are selling it for much cheaper...they are not calling it a Tanabe replica or anything like that...thats like saying target for example sells replica knock off abercrombie polo shirts. just cuz abercrombie sells "higher quality" polo shirts doesnt mean other companies arent allowed to sell similar product for much cheaper...and with that said SO many people buy used brand name exhausts for half the price...should we not do that as well? i mean that doesnt really help the poor jdm companies...
i for one bought replica vertex kid from next mod...if you wanna talk about the economy how is spending $2-3k for a piece of plastic from Japan helping the US economy? Its not...
I bought high end work wheels because the quality and craftsmanship of those wheels will not be matched but a company selling cheaper products. But on items such as an exhaust or a roof spoiler i really cant blame if ppl decide to go the cheaper route..
I really wish people get off their high horse and stop judging...
well put my friend...cause i have mix and match stuff also.
and i would feel kinda bad if this exhaust said tanabe on it our something but like you say it has its own brand m2.... now i would never support a company making stuff under another companies name... thats stealing in my eyes.
Originally Posted by pli
i wouldnt necessarily say this is a replica. because the design is similar to tanabe doesnt mean its a tanabe replica. it doesnt even sound like a tanabe. arent tanabes quieter than this? it was just stated by one of our members because it kinda looks like it.

m2 is its own brand that produces quality stuff at a "reasonable price", and just because its on ebay, a lot of people tend to just call it an ebay product. we buy HKS products off ebay that are legit. arent they ebay products? some may say you get what you pay for, but hey! some products, we get more than we pay for. and that's what makes us happy. and thats also why i wait for reviews before purchases. if i know the product is a quality item and its good stuff for a good price, why not. just because its m4d tyt3 jDm, doesn't mean we gotta get that product specifically.

this can be an example to show the differences. just look at stasis's photo vs this link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-like-new.html

just my 2 cents.
good post. but some people are set in there ways and no matter what it is gonna be seen as not cool and some people are gonna dive in and get the deal and save some money to go elsewhere on the car.

this is the great thing about living in america...we all got choices and its a open market.
now only if we could get this damn gas to go down things would be in order lol
Old 05-09-11, 01:42 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

JoeZ,

Making another batch of your intakes?
Old 05-09-11, 01:55 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Silkky
JoeZ,

Making another batch of your intakes?
Yes of course...
Old 05-09-11, 02:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
first off, let me begin by saying that i have both expensive jdm products on my car(exhaust, wheels, grille etc.) and i have replicas as well. In regards to the exhaust i dont think this exhaust is a knock off copycat...they made an exhaust called it M2 and are selling it for much cheaper...they are not calling it a Tanabe replica or anything like that...thats like saying target for example sells replica knock off abercrombie polo shirts. just cuz abercrombie sells "higher quality" polo shirts doesnt mean other companies arent allowed to sell similar product for much cheaper...and with that said SO many people buy used brand name exhausts for half the price...should we not do that as well? i mean that doesnt really help the poor jdm companies...
i for one bought replica vertex kid from next mod...if you wanna talk about the economy how is spending $2-3k for a piece of plastic from Japan helping the US economy? Its not...
I bought high end work wheels because the quality and craftsmanship of those wheels will not be matched but a company selling cheaper products. But on items such as an exhaust or a roof spoiler i really cant blame if ppl decide to go the cheaper route..
I really wish people get off their high horse and stop judging...
you're missing the picture.

if you've flipped through this thread and looked at the pics, it looks nearly identical to the tanabe touring medallion axleback system. so much so, you can probably pass it off as one to the unknowing consumer. it's visually obvious that it's a replica, even if it's not called a replica or if it's uniquely branded and marketed.

the context of my discussion is not about the global economy (that's saved for the debate section) but rather about the aftermarket performance parts industry. because the market has become so saturated with counterfeits, fakes, replicas, and knock-offs that these authentic parts manufacturers are feeling the hurt. you can make the argument that these manufacturers left the door open for for replica/knock-off companies to come in and erode their respective market shares, but it's with and from the support of the consumers in the form of buying these replica/knock-off products.

does an authentic body kit warrant its associated price? how about an exhaust system? wheels? if our collective consumer attitude (not just the 2is or lexus "crowd", but the entire population of automotive enthusiasts) is reflected in our preference for generic parts, these authentic manufacturers are likely to no longer cater to us (lack of demand and/or profitability), and those that are (barely) still in business will continue to command a premium knowing that it has to mark up its goods to (barely) break even.

just as much as you wish for people to get off their high horse and stop judging, i wish that automotive enthusiasts would stop supporting these replica/knock-off companies and support authentic manufacturers. if the lessons of BBS (bankrupcy/financial restructuring) and HKS (operations consolidation) aren't enough to prove that authentic aftermarket parts manufacturers are being hurt by these replica companies, we'll continue to see/read/hear more and more about these companies closing their doors.

/OT
Old 05-09-11, 03:44 PM
peterhx123
Driver School Candidate

I dont see this as a replica, for me a replica is a product that wants to be seen as another product, a replica uses confusing advertisement, and uses a marketing strategy to be placed over the real deal. The point of HKS is bad business management, when a big company drops and has to close out, its their own fault. Global market changes every single day and we all know that, so they should have been prepared for what was coming. I do admit HKS is a great brand and company but they have noone else to blame for this but themselves.
Old 05-09-11, 07:29 PM
machefai
Driver

There are a lot of ways to spin this, but at the end of the day, competition is good for the consumer. Maybe they should have lowered their prices to see if increasing their sales quantity would have helped overcome their steep profit margins? Let's face it, there will always be someone trying to make it cheaper, better and more attractive. It fuels innovation within companies and drives competitive pricing. And if you can't differentiate yourself somehow in the market space, then you're failed.
Old 05-12-11, 05:20 AM
350FSport
Driver

I would say I am an image-aware consumer. I am really torn on the exhaust debate. I WANT an F-Sport exhaust, because it says F-Sport on it. Thats the only reason! It is "sanctioned" by Lexus, it "goes" with the car, and it has a stamp, that you can see, that says F-Sport. Same reason I bought the F-Sport intake over joe-z (sorry joe).

That being said, $1200 shipped from Sewell is quite a bit higher than $750 for Tanabe or $300 for M2. And with exhaust, you have volume to deal with. I want aggressive but not loud. So maybe for this particular decision I might go with Tanabe. But, I would rather pay $750 for a known reputable brand (if it is not going to be F-Sport), then take my chances with replica.

Money also comes into play. For some people, this car was easy to purchase as it is "cheap" (relative to what you get vs competition). For others, they stretched every last dollar and are eating rice and beans just so they can ride in their Lexus. For the first set, F-Sport or Tanabe, for the latter, there will always be a market for replica. And there is nothing wrong with that.

What I don't understand, is are these items (design wise) not patented? Can you not sue another manufacturer if in fact they are making "replicas". If they are just making "similar" but cheaper products, then that is nothing wrong just good old fashioned capitalism and competition at work. Then it just comes down to consumer preference. Cheap and no-name, or expensive and brand name. I choose latter, you choose former, nobody is wrong for either choice.
Old 05-12-11, 08:59 AM
pli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350FSport
I would say I am an image-aware consumer. I am really torn on the exhaust debate. I WANT an F-Sport exhaust, because it says F-Sport on it. Thats the only reason! It is "sanctioned" by Lexus, it "goes" with the car, and it has a stamp, that you can see, that says F-Sport. Same reason I bought the F-Sport intake over joe-z (sorry joe).

That being said, $1200 shipped from Sewell is quite a bit higher than $750 for Tanabe or $300 for M2. And with exhaust, you have volume to deal with. I want aggressive but not loud. So maybe for this particular decision I might go with Tanabe. But, I would rather pay $750 for a known reputable brand (if it is not going to be F-Sport), then take my chances with replica.

Money also comes into play. For some people, this car was easy to purchase as it is "cheap" (relative to what you get vs competition). For others, they stretched every last dollar and are eating rice and beans just so they can ride in their Lexus. For the first set, F-Sport or Tanabe, for the latter, there will always be a market for replica. And there is nothing wrong with that.

What I don't understand, is are these items (design wise) not patented? Can you not sue another manufacturer if in fact they are making "replicas". If they are just making "similar" but cheaper products, then that is nothing wrong just good old fashioned capitalism and competition at work. Then it just comes down to consumer preference. Cheap and no-name, or expensive and brand name. I choose latter, you choose former, nobody is wrong for either choice.
You gotta understand that m2 is not a replica. its just another brand that most people are not known to and it happens to be sold on ebay. If tanabe was not known and was sold on ebay vs. m2 being the popular brand, couldnt we also say that tanabe may have knocked off m2 and tanabe is an ebay brand? also, its not like m2 is calling this a tanabe style or T-style exhaust. so again, i dont see replica in this.

as for patents, even if this was a replica, tanabe cant do anything about it because its just not (keyword) identical or an exact copy. just like the jdm wheels vs. rota. rota doesnt make exact copies of the jdm brands. its similar. and thats exactly why even if the jdm wheels have a patent, they cant sue them. correct me if im wrong on this.

and yeah, this exhaust may be cheaper than most competitors. it makes sense for a lexus company to mark up their fsport exhaust because they are stealerships and they like to put a huge price tag on their products. and sure, tanabe can sell their exhaust for ~700, because its jdm, craftsmanship may have taken more effort and it requires shipping over here. m2 seems reasonable for it being a 300 dollar msrp axleback exhaust. it just so happens that this specific seller is selling it at a really good price, way below msrp. idk for sure but craftsmanship may not have been done as well as tanabe but quality sure as heck looks good on the m2. they may have just acquired resources at a lower price or even lower their price vs. their competitors so they can get more buyers to buy their exhaust over others. these are all possibilities. but again, like you said, some people care about the image of the product. to each their own. im all for quality and price.

lastly, a lot of people may say, oh, you get what you pay for. but hey! this m2 exhaust seems solid. we get more than we pay for. aside from that, its about about companies making that extra buck. if youve ever worked with distributors, they require you to have a price floor. you can't sell below this price. so they keep their image along with the final seller making a better profit. but when there is so many final seller-competitors out there, you might just have to sell at the price floor price just to get people to buy your product over the other guys same product. its how the economy works. you gotta play dirty to win over the consumers sometimes.

Last edited by pli; 05-12-11 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 11:34 AM
sensaznis
Driver School Candidate

Do you still like the M2 after having it in for a couple of months now? Any check engine light or anything pop on? I know people are saying it sounds nice but did it actually give you some HP as well? I'm thinking of getting one myself. Thanks.
Old 05-12-11, 01:06 PM
peterhx123
Driver School Candidate

I got mine yesterday and let me tell you something.. It is amazing, the fit was perfect on my IS350, and sounds deep and aggressive but its not too loud for a daily driver. I installed as well K&N Intake, I would totally recommend this set up. Ill try posting a video on the weekend.
Old 05-12-11, 01:38 PM
RickJames1
Lead Lap

pretty excited to hear a video^^^
Old 05-12-11, 03:16 PM
pli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sensaznis
Do you still like the M2 after having it in for a couple of months now? Any check engine light or anything pop on? I know people are saying it sounds nice but did it actually give you some HP as well? I'm thinking of getting one myself. Thanks.
its an axleback. theres no o2 sensors for it.. nor do axlebacks generally give you significant, even if any, HP.
Old 05-12-11, 06:18 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually thinking of taking off my HKS exhaust since it scrapes on my driveway everyday and buying the m2. Do you guys know how it would sound with the invidia mid pipe? I'm hoping the m2 won't scrape on my driveway so I can lower my car finally!

Quick Reply: M2 Axle-back