Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Keep getting pulled over for "Unlawful exhaust"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 08:10 PM
ksareen90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep getting pulled over for "Unlawful exhaust"

I run the HKS hi power exhaust + F sport intake combo and i keep getting pulled over because the HKS hi power exhaust tips are huge. Any sort of after market exhaust is illegal in Virginia. There are many cars in this area that are much louder than mine but their tips are much smaller and some of them even look close to stock, therefore those people dont get pulled over by cops as much.

I was thinking about getting one of the Lexus made exhausts being the F-sport or the HKS Lexus as they are factory made they will be legal however those sound a bit graspy whereas i like the deep mean sound the hks hi power has to offer. However I was thinking if i tried removing a resonator or adding some sort of midpipe with one of the Lexus exhausts, i could some how manage to get that deep sound.

If anyone has any ideas or solutions to this problem, i'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 08-04-10, 08:19 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about the law in Virginia.

I only wish the tips of our exhaust produce the awesome sound. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Huge Tips are just for decoration/looks. I suggest going to local muffler shop, have them cut your tip and weld a smaller one - problem solve and you still have the same sound.
Old 08-04-10, 08:24 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get f-sports. Not huge and sounds good (not to loud)
Old 08-04-10, 08:32 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I feel you i have the same issue in Mass. $50 ticket and it goes against you on your insurance for illegal modification. That my reason for not running an exhaust anymore. But if I do I'm go with tom's exhaust look oem.
Old 08-04-10, 09:10 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait. Are these the tips that look like grapefruit shooters? Hoooo Boy! I'd LOVE to see a picture of those!! I agree with Dexterr. Can a muffler shop put on smaller diameter tips instead?
Old 08-04-10, 09:20 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe its the way you drive? Do accelerate quickly?
I used to get pulled over all the time back when i had my LMS exhaust. Probably because of the way i drove.
Old 08-04-10, 09:24 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I have HKS exhaust. Can be seen here:

They are pretty big, but they look nice if you have a body kit on the car! Otherwise, if they're on your car just stock, sometimes they look like a 100lb woman with gigantic *****.
Old 08-04-10, 09:25 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Wait. Are these the tips that look like grapefruit shooters? Hoooo Boy! I'd LOVE to see a picture of those!! I agree with Dexterr. Can a muffler shop put on smaller diameter tips instead?

Yes, any good muffler shop can make it happen . I'm actually thinking of replacing my F Sport tips with these Kreissig/Meisterchaft tips.

Old 08-04-10, 10:12 PM
shiny250
Advanced

i think a member (joshis408?) has fsports with invidia midpipes that sound super sickk. hes got a thread on here somewhere with video clips. check them out!
Old 08-04-10, 10:19 PM
shiny250
Advanced

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eo-review.html
Old 08-05-10, 01:13 AM
DaNiELx626
Lead Lap

damn that really sucks lol i have hks+invida+k&n setup and im loving this setup
Old 08-05-10, 02:42 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

[/QUOTE]They are pretty big, but they look nice if you have a body kit on the car! Otherwise, if they're on your car just stock, sometimes they look like a 100lb woman with gigantic *****.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I guess I need to get a lip kit now.
Damn love the rear of your car, so sexy!
Old 08-05-10, 03:09 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ksareen90
I run the HKS hi power exhaust + F sport intake combo and i keep getting pulled over because the HKS hi power exhaust tips are huge. Any sort of after market exhaust is illegal in Virginia. There are many cars in this area that are much louder than mine but their tips are much smaller and some of them even look close to stock, therefore those people dont get pulled over by cops as much.

I was thinking about getting one of the Lexus made exhausts being the F-sport or the HKS Lexus as they are factory made they will be legal however those sound a bit graspy whereas i like the deep mean sound the hks hi power has to offer. However I was thinking if i tried removing a resonator or adding some sort of midpipe with one of the Lexus exhausts, i could some how manage to get that deep sound.

If anyone has any ideas or solutions to this problem, i'd greatly appreciate it!
Where in VA are you?

I've been pulled over before for my HKS exhaust (or it's been ticketed if I get pulled over for other reasons ). If you get a rear body kit, that will mask somewhat the "coffee cans" that the police target.

If you're going to get a new exhaust, check the Performance section. Plenty of combos have been tested and commented upon.
Old 08-05-10, 04:32 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.....I've never heard of this going on down here in the 757 (knock-wood).
Old 08-05-10, 05:08 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

I don't get it how is it illegal? Did you actually get a ticket and if so under what vehicle code?

Quick Reply: Keep getting pulled over for "Unlawful exhaust"