Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Diff options for GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 10:26 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diff options for GS400

ive searched a couple times on here but didnt come up with any good, solid, resource...just mainly DIY install threads with random info....

im trying to figure out all the gearing/diff options that are available...what fits, what doesnt....what diffs, or complete rear ends from other models will fit, what ratio's they have etc etc. anyone know of a good online resource that has those bases covered? or should we hash it out right here and now???

lol, thanks
Old 03-30-10, 10:36 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All fit
gs4 3.2
gs3 3.9
stt 3.7
sc3 4.1
Old 03-30-10, 10:56 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

go 4.27 if you do not care about top end speed.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rs-are-on.html
Old 03-30-10, 02:41 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Originally Posted by slowdiver
go 4.27 if you do not care about top end speed.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rs-are-on.html
good reading! thanks looks like im after an sc300 or sc400 diff!
Old 03-30-10, 02:51 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

question....does it matter what year i get the diff from? (referencing the above diff's)
Old 03-30-10, 07:47 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
question....does it matter what year i get the diff from? (referencing the above diff's)
Search bro, all of the homework has been done for you. Are you just looking for the gearing? Do you want an LSD? Can you transfer the ring gear? etc, I don't mean to bust your *****, but seriously this info is all out there. Yes, it does matter, but the good news is that they only made the SC in the certain years and those years fit our rear end. My thinking is that if your gear it that high, you will not like your mileage, and you will roast one wheel with that ratio. Why not do what many have already done, including myself and get a GS300 3.92 rear end for <$100 and bolt it in and go, there tons of them out there. Eventually once you save up enough, buy an LSD insert and your good to go.
Old 03-30-10, 08:05 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your a brave man to do the 4.27 gears...I hope it's NOT your daily driver. With the 3.76 gears I run 3000rpms @ 80mph and my top speed is limited to ~130mph...you will easily be at around 3800-4000rpms @ 80mph and top speed would probably be limited to 110mph or so. I don't like to drive that fast anyway but jes, that top speed is only 30mph faster than highway cruising. If it is your weekend car then def go for it! GL!
Old 03-30-10, 08:53 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

So im confused. You can pick up a gs3 3.92 rear end for under $100. If so where could you get this? Then later on you can add a LSD too it? Or would i be better pony up the extra dough and getting a 3.76 LSD like ROCK.
Old 03-31-10, 07:58 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Search bro, all of the homework has been done for you. Are you just looking for the gearing? Do you want an LSD? Can you transfer the ring gear? etc, I don't mean to bust your *****, but seriously this info is all out there. Yes, it does matter, but the good news is that they only made the SC in the certain years and those years fit our rear end. My thinking is that if your gear it that high, you will not like your mileage, and you will roast one wheel with that ratio. Why not do what many have already done, including myself and get a GS300 3.92 rear end for <$100 and bolt it in and go, there tons of them out there. Eventually once you save up enough, buy an LSD insert and your good to go.
i have searched BRO (man i hate that word) like i said before, info is scattered all over the damn place. there is hardly ANYTHING that is black or white on this subject. some threads, people will say, such and such diff fits with no modifications....then 3 posts later someone says it doesnt "bolt on" and then a couple posts later someone goes on about the differences from year to year. i would really be p.o'd if i spent a few hundred bucks on a pumpkin only to find out it didnt fit and i got some bunk info. i do search, i search A LOT...and the answer is very muddy so i figured i would make a thread. these parts are not very easy to find for me locally (there is not a single lexus sc300/400 gs300/400 in any of the 9 junkyards that are within 50 miles of me.) so i want to be clear on what i need....

anyways, YES the gs300/sc300 pumpkin is what i have my eye on....and NO im not scared to do the 4.27 and daily drive it (based on slowdrivers personal experience, and facts about his car, its hardly any more strain at freeway speeds...besides, im rolling on some big *** 20's) i come from the honda world and turning 5k on the freeway and daily driving on a 4.9fd is something i did for years. i have my reasons for doing this, and doing top speed, 130mph runs is not one of them lolol...besides, the cool thing about gears is......if you find you dont like it....replace it!

i appreciate the usefull info
Old 03-31-10, 08:03 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

figured i would put slowdrivers post in this thread as well, so people arent so scared off by the 4.27

I'll make this quick and dirty....

Drove over to KAAZ and had my SC300 pumpkin put on today. Ray and Sajee swapped my KAAZ LSD out of the 3.92 pumpkin and into the SC300 pumpkin which has 4.27 gears.....no issues with fitment at all and bolted right up to the GS4.

While the install was being done, I asked the guys if I would feel a difference going from 3.92 to 4.27 as I had some doubts if I would even notice the difference because I've had the 3.92 gears on for awhile. Please note I am NOT a mechanic. They both responded that I would defintitely notice the change and explained why in great detail.

Well they were right....the initial low-end acceleration off the line with just minor throttle is amazing. The 4.27 gears and PI TC combo is money. I then did a WOT and noticed the car pulled ever harder off the line. I did not have rev limiter issues (remember I'm on 20s) which was nice but I only did WOT a couple of times on the way home.

Update: Freeway speed of 80 mph produced RPM level of 3400-3500.

Start searching for those SC300 pumpkins!!!
Old 03-31-10, 08:05 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

slowdrivers take on the 3.92 and some other very usefull info....

Finally got it done today.......would like to thank Ray and Sajee at KAAZ USA for the install. For more info on KAAZ LSDs go to www.kaazusa.com.

Well its confirmed that the SC400 pumpkin with 3.92 gears is a direct bolt on for the GS400. No issues with swap whatsoever. These should be easy to find at junkyards for all of you still wanting to do this.

Dropped off the old pumpkin with open differential at home after the install and went for a quick spin. Lets just say the heavy 20s in back no longer exist and that I will be tire shopping on a regular basis. Also will be buying a Valentine One and looking for a BBK. First stop light on a very open straight away was amazing. Left VSC off like I always do and the tires basically lit up with a very hard launch. No torque braking at all and the launch was significant.

Haven't had a chance to go on the freeway yet but got it up to 60 and mid range pull was very nice. The best part of the clutch-type LSD was cornering.....you can definitely feel the inside wheel gripping the road as you make a turn......this obviously never happened with the open differential (or peg leg ). I didnt want to push the throttle too much in the corners until I get used to it. More comments to come on cornering.

My initial thoughts on the gear change is that if you dont care about top-end speed and you are rolling on heavy 20s, go for it. I know its early in my testing, but I honestly don't see why you couldn't go all the way up to 4.27 gears if you are running a large wheel. With the 3.92 thus far, drivability has not suffered at all and I noticed no difference in terms of cruising or daily driving besides a slightly higher RPM. I think that most people who are complaining about traction issues are running a smaller wheel and therefore are not getting the traction that a wider, heavier wheel provides.

UPDATE: Freeway speed of 80mph had a RPM level at 3000. Regarding cornering, I can now get my car completely sideways as the inner wheel grips significantly hard when giving it more than the normal amount of gas........it is so much fun!! Get rid of that peg leg!!! Also with a clutch-type LSD, you must leave VSC off.

After doing research on LSDs, I chose to go with a clutch-type for various reasons. One major factor is I liked the ability to adjust the locking percentage on the clutch-type LSD in order to suit ones driving needs. The overall feedback that I got from many people is that for the type of driving that I do on a daily basis, clutch-type LSDs are superior to Torsen. There are pros and cons for each and depending on how far you drive each day should be a factor in your decision.

Some of the info I came across during my reserach is posted below:

http://overboost.com/story.asp?id=1340

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/art...azvstorsen.htm

Gear ratios expanded with Supra axle codes and Pros/Cons of Clutch-Type LSDs vs Torsen:

Lexus:

95-97 LS400 has a 3.62 gear ratio.

98+ LS400s have a 3.26 ratio.

92-97 SC300
6 cyl, AT (4.27 ratio)
6 cyl, MT (4.08 ratio)

98-00 SC300
6 cyl, AT (4.27 ratio)

92-96 SC400
8 cyl (3.92 ratio)

97-00 SC400
8 cyl (3.266 ratio)

92-96 MKIV Supra

w/o turbo; (4.27 ratio) Limited Slip
w/o turbo; (4.27 ratio)
w/turbo, MT (3.133 ratio) Limited Slip
w/turbo, AT (3.769 ratio) Limited Slip

97-98 MKIV Supra
w/o turbo; (4.08 ratio) Limited Slip
w/o turbo; (4.08 ratio)
w/turbo, MT (3.133 ratio) Limited Slip
w/turbo, AT (3.769 ratio)
w/turbo, AT (3.769 ratio) Limited Slip

Supra Axle Codes denote gearset family, diff ratio and open or LSD centre.

A01A - 3.916 ratio Open Centre
A01B - 3.916 ratio Torsen LSD
A02A - 4.083 ratio Open Centre
A02B - 4.083 ratio Torsen LSD

Torsen-type (helical gear) LSD advantages:

+ Responds to slippage almost immediately.
+ Won't contribute to understeer.
+ Won't lower your gas mileage.
+ Won't require periodic rebuilds.
+ Requires only hypoid gear oil.

Torsen-type (helical gear) LSD disadvantages:

- Weak compared to the nearly-indestructible clutch-type LSD.
- Slip-restraint action is more jarring than the clutch-type LSD.
- Nonadjustable.

Torsen-type (helical gear) LSD is particularly suited for:

= A relatively stock power output (no more than 133% of stock).
= A car that is driven with a wide range of aggressiveness, with no particular bias within the range from no-aggression cruising to sporty mountain running to all-out road racing - a Torsen-type diff doesn't resist differentiation in the absence of actual slip, hence doesn't provoke understeer in high-grip condition nor provoke oversteer in low-grip conditions.
= A car that is also used as a high-mileage commuter - a Torsen-type diff doesn't contribute to increased fuel consumption.

Clutch-type LSD advantages:

+ Almost indestructible.
+ Smooth slip-limiting action.
+ Adjustable by competent mechanics.
+ Available in high bias percentages.

Clutch-type LSD disadvantages:

- In high bias percentages, can manifest understeer in grippy conditions while manifesting oversteer in slippery conditions.
- Lowers overall fuel economy.
- Requires clutch-plate set replacements as they wear.
- Requires friction modifiers in the gear oil.

Clutch-type LSD is particularly suited for:

= A power output modified significantly (over 133%) beyond stock, but still putting power through the stock-dimensioned diff case - the clutch-type can handle a huge load and lots of abuse, which is important if you're completely exceeding the OEM design parameters.
= A car that is primarily driven at all-out race pace - the understeer issue don't apply since a race-driven RWD car should always be on the verge of oversteer.
= Not a high mileage commuter - that is, unless gas is cheap and you're into rebuilding diffs.

"Car manufacturers don't equip even super-performance stock cars with clutch-type diffs because with full engineering and fabrication control, they don't have to tolerate any of the disadvantages of the clutch-type diff. For whatever high level of power, a manufacturer would just use a bigger diff case to hold a higher-torque-capacity Torsen-type LSD. Note that neither the MKIV Supra, e36 Euro M3, nor e46 M4 came with a clutch-type diff. The Supra and e36 M3 both came with Torsen-type diffs. The e46 uses an advanced but oddball diff, in case you were wondering.

The only case I can imagine a party with full engineering and fabrication capabilites (a professional racing team) resorting to a clutch-type LSD is in racing, where a smaller clutch-type LSD can do the job of a bigger and heavier Torsen-type LSD, nevermind the drawbacks.

But in the absence of engineering and fabrication capabilities, clutch-type diffs are a godsend for amateur racers with dedicated race cars."

Hope this info helps........on to the next project.......custom shorty headers!
Old 03-31-10, 08:44 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Are you running the stock 16's or a larger wheel with that 3.92 rear? I am wondering how traction would be on a 16 inch stock wheel with that rear gearing. Did you notice an improved 0-60 time?
Old 03-31-10, 09:00 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Go for the 4.2 and keep us updated. I gotta say this was a great upgrade for the price you pay.
Old 03-31-10, 09:22 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds good DumpedGS!

I say go for it, but are you going to go with a clutch-type LSD? If so, is your car modded more than 133% over stock output (or 400hp-crank)? When I read the disadvantages of the clutch-type LSD I feel that since it REDUCES gas mileage then it is adding to further powertrain loss (i.e. more friction); probably why it is stated that it should be used on a HEAVILY MODDED car. IMHO, I would NOT go with this type of LSD if you aren't going extreme as far as power mods go...it could be overkill for your application and you are PAYING for lower gas mileage (more power drag) for indestructability; which at power levels under 400hp this "protection" is not necessary. The Torsen unit is JUST FINE for a nice moderately modded car - after all it is OEM to the Supra TT.

BTW, FYI...there is probably minimal difference in performance between the 3.76/3.92 gears (with lightweight 18" or 19" wheels VERSUS the 4.27 gears with heavy 20" wheels...rotational weight is a Bi Tch! Just some food for thought...

GL!
Old 03-31-10, 12:16 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

im actually not going to put an LSD in the new rear end. not yet anyways. its just not in my budget right meow. (car needs new tires all the way around, RCA's, spacers, etc etc.) i will be welding this diff up. thats my reasoning for buying the entire pumpkin, to make swapping between stock and welded diff a breeze. if i dont like it, i can always sell it to a drifter....or swap an lsd in it later...whatever. i wouldnt ever think of gearing it down and still keeping it peg legged. so for now, welding it will have to do. ballin on a budget baby lol

Quick Reply: Diff options for GS400