Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VIDEO & Photo's - IS350 Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 04:18 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
Listen, I can appreciate what you guys are trying to accomplish here, but coming out and going, "Whoah brahs! Check it out! We like tooooootally built a S/C kit from scratch in 2 days! DGAF brah! Tune? Who needs it! WE GET SH_T DONE! DGAF!" seems just a tad bit laissez faire and ridiculous. What are the long term plans? Tuning options? Just because you got the thing to crank and revved it a couple times doesn't really speak well for the longevity or even the performance of the kit. Let's see some dyno #'s... hell, AFR's would be nice. Did you guys even log the thing or did you just crank her up and make some loud noises?
It was made clear that this kit was put together at the last minute to get the car ready for SEMA. You followed the whole Turbochargers.com fiasco, right? I think the excitement around "2 days" was directly related to how long Wierdazndude's car was sitting on the shop floor at Turbochargers (several months, although R&D was being done).

Once SEMA is done, I fully expect a battery of dyno tests, fine tuning, and updates. At that point we can judge the merit of the kit. Until then, we can share in the excitement that the 2IS might have a new option for boost.

Btw, calling two respected members of CL "shade-tree mechanics" isn't going to win you any style points.
Old 10-18-09, 04:30 AM
ddquach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djkhanvict
Thanks for the compliments doug

That means alot coming from the guy who sold me the wrong procharger unit, and refused to give me a refund not only did I lose alot of money because of you, but I had to spend even more to buy a new supercharger... and have yet to get my money back for the one that you sold me.
Oh don't you worry you got your refund back from the chargeback you got through paypal and also kept the blower. So who ask out now. If you want to bring facts out tell everyone the whole story, Yet you forget to mention not sending the blower back that you kept. And why don't you answer your claim on how it was R&D so quickly.

Last edited by ddquach; 10-18-09 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-18-09, 04:41 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on boosting the DD (happens we got the 250) and amuse ourselves daily

Phiber.. here's the thing..

1. I don't drive a race car.. I drive a Lexus.. I didn't get my IS250 expecting it to be a fast car.. I have other car's for that my 250 is my daily driver / show car

2. If I was going to trade it in for ANY other 2IS I sure as hell wouldn't trade it in for a 350, I'd go straight for an IS-F.

You are absolutely right, it would be funner boosting an IS350. But I don't have one.. I have a 250.. and it would be stupid to trade it in for a 350 just for an extra 100hp..

I rather boost my 250 for fun and have a 250 on boost (I'm not trying to race anyone or have the worlds fastest car lol)

At the end of the day, there's a handful of IS owners who would be very happy with boost for a reasonable price, being that I am an enthusiast and also in the industry.. I thought it would be nice to make a bang for the buck kit that is affordable FOR the people who want it.

There are plenty of 250 owners who would be satisfied with boosting their cars and still being slower then an IS350.. boost is boost.

lol, now enough of this debate. We can talk about it in another thread..

How about we keep this thread on topic?
Old 10-18-09, 05:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There will always be a first for everything in the aftermarket world. Competition is a great thing for us, the consumer, when others bring out similar products.

Look at the Exhausts that are out for the 2IS. Who was the first and how many now have similar if not identical set ups?? Certain things can only be designed one way to work even if you wanted to do something different. Where is the thread bashing the MFG's of exhaust's?
Old 10-18-09, 07:08 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
There will always be a first for everything in the aftermarket world.
this definitely isn't the first time something like this has been done for the 2is. LMS and toms are two that come to mind that had a 2is supercharger kit way before this was done.
Old 10-18-09, 08:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We just simply said that it only took us 2 days to put it together.. what's wrong with that? People want forced induction, we pretty much proved that its not rocket science and it CAN be done on the 2IS.
It already had been done...years ago... so you didn't really prove anything beyond the fact you could largely copy previous work in a couple of days.

Also, how about doing some research before ragging on someone. iSuxeL has a boosted IS350 on about 5 pounds of boost, and im pretty sure his motor isn't about to blow.
Heh...you even provide an example of someone else who did it before you in your own post...

Again, it's great you threw it together and got the car to crank in 2 days... but it's a SEMA car... quite a lot of those aren't actually meant to work correctly, they just need to look like they work correctly.

K&N had a supercharged IS250 at SEMA in 2006.

It didn't run correctly, and never made into production, but it looked great at the show.

With 5 lbs of boost it won't really need "tuning", the LMS kit didn't, and there's no substantive tuning available for the 2IS anyway.

As you say though, putting a 5-lbs boost kit together for the 350 isn't rocket science, and many have done it before you.... I'm sure if you take a little time after SEMA you could make a production-ready kit... it's still almost certain to cost $100 per hp or more, though you can probably get it to come in a touch cheaper than the LMS kit was.

So it'd be great if you guys put an LMS type kit back into production for those who want to spend a ton for relatively small gains... even greater if you can cut the price a touch or eek slightly more boost out of the kit... but please don't make out like you just invented the wheel or something.
Old 10-18-09, 08:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
this definitely isn't the first time something like this has been done for the 2is. LMS and toms are two that come to mind that had a 2is supercharger kit way before this was done.
I know that was my point....so why the bashing for someone else to release something into this market

This happens all the time...

Borla was the first to release a "true" dual exhaust for the 2IS. Then JoeZ had his product that was slightly different but basically used the same idea and Borla is the one that really tested and did all the R&D. This is no bash to Joe or his products but lets face the facts if Borla didn't have success with the exhaust no one would have tried to mfg. (this is an example so don't read into it)

JoeZ was the first to release the exhaust for the ISF...so then the rest will be followers right? It just goes on and on and on....

Another great example-

JoeZ was the first to have the intake tubes and Lexus now offers the same thing? I don't see anyone bashing Lexus for having a product manufactured and private labeled that someone else already did. It is slightly different but in reality its the same.

It just shows that there will always be a leader, or the first, and others will follow and either try to improve on quality or simply try to find a better way to do it. This is competition at its greatest and with out it what would we as consumers have.

We need to give credit to them for taking the risk to bring this into the market (especially this market) and if you don't think its worth the money or time why bother to post?

We are all car enthusiast at the end of the day. Some with slightly different tastes/styles but can't we just all respect each other and call it a day
Old 10-18-09, 08:58 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Kurtz, at least someone else gets it.
Btw, calling two respected members of CL "shade-tree mechanics" isn't going to win you any style points.
Imagine what that means to me.
Old 10-18-09, 09:22 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

I know that was my point....so why the bashing for someone else to release something into this market

Borla was the first to release a "true" dual exhaust for the 2IS. Then JoeZ had his product that was slightly different but basically used the same idea and Borla is the one that really tested and did all the R&D. This is no bash to Joe or his products but lets face the facts if Borla didn't have success with the exhaust no one would have tried to mfg. (this is an example so don't read into it)

JoeZ was the first to release the exhaust for the ISF...so then the rest will be followers right? It just goes on and on and on....

Another great example-

JoeZ was the first to have the intake tubes and Lexus now offers the same thing? I don't see anyone bashing Lexus for having a product manufactured and private labeled that someone else already did. It is slightly different but in reality its the same.

It just shows that there will always be a leader, or the first, and others will follow and either try to improve on quality or simply try to find a better way to do it. This is competition at its greatest and with out it what would we as consumers have.

We need to give credit to them for taking the risk to bring this into the market (especially this market) and if you don't think its worth the money or time why bother to post?

We are all car enthusiast at the end of the day. Some with slightly different tastes/styles but can't we just all respect each other and call it a day
i'm going to agree with mike here...there will always be leaders and followers...instead of bashing...let's just wait it out and see the results...all this will lead to is more bashing back and forth...it's like "tennis bashing"...we've waited over 2 years already, we can have the patience to wait a little longer for the stats
Old 10-18-09, 09:38 AM
Srd555
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Another great example-

This is the best post since this thread went to crap.

Great work guys.... Do your thing....Forget the negativity.

Also.....
I am a car guy, we are all cars people. If someone wants to spend THEIR money on a car YOU deem unfit for power why do WE care so much? Why fight so hard in every thread to crush dreams and hopes????
Support our 250 brothers....DAMN IT

In the end this is all cool stuff to us (car folk), even if it doesnt make the CRAZY power or make sense intellectually.... Hell us car folk dont make sense to any other group out there either....

Now I am going back to the youtube video and listen to the whine and blow-off sounds....

Good Day
Old 10-18-09, 09:39 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

2. If I was going to trade it in for ANY other 2IS I sure as hell wouldn't trade it in for a 350, I'd go straight for an IS-F.

You are absolutely right, it would be funner boosting an IS350. But I don't have one.. I have a 250.. and it would be stupid to trade it in for a 350 just for an extra 100hp..

I rather boost my 250 for fun and have a 250 on boost (I'm not trying to race anyone or have the worlds fastest car lol)
Wouldn't we all want a IS-F? But look at the price difference. The difference between a IS350 and IS250 is about ~$5000. But if you look at IS-F that is nearly $25,000 difference from a 250. For a car who does 0-60 in mid to high 4 seconds stock is pretty impressive don't you agree?

At the end of the day, there's a handful of IS owners who would be very happy with boost for a reasonable price, being that I am an enthusiast and also in the industry.. I thought it would be nice to make a bang for the buck kit that is affordable FOR the people who want it.

There are plenty of 250 owners who would be satisfied with boosting their cars and still being slower then an IS350.. boost is boost.
If your main objective is to obtain boost why even bother getting a 250? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to buy a evo/sti/335? Stock boost and retain OEM warranty. Or if your after speed it would be more reasonable to just trade in your 250 for a 350. Instead of boosting a car that still won't be faster than a 350 and may cost more to maintain.
Old 10-18-09, 09:43 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phiber
If your main objective is to obtain boost why even bother getting a 250? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to buy a evo/sti/335? Stock boost and retain OEM warranty. Or if your after speed it would be more reasonable to just trade in your 250 for a 350. Instead of boosting a car that still won't be faster than a 350 and may cost more to maintain.
To people like him, actual performance doesn't matter I guess. He claims he drives a Lexus, not a "race" car, but in the same breath, talks about adding an FI option to his already high-strung car; if you ask me, it's playing with fire boosting the IS, until a good rotating assembly (read: boost friendly rotating assembly) is made.

To him, it's more for the fact of being able to say, "Yeah, my IS250 is boosted. Yours isn't."

I don't get that mentality at all. Then again, a lot of the folks in the IS community do weird things, like stretch 205 tires on a 10.5" rim, add curtains to the rear windows, and hang knots from their rearview mirrors that would make an Eagle scout cringe. All for "style" I guess. Pfffffffft.
Old 10-18-09, 09:46 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

there is a difference between releasing a new, improved product into the market that's backed by real R&D done by the company... and a product that's a "copy" of another company's product.

btw, before anyone jumps on ^, mind that there are allegations in previous posts that haven't been answered.

i believe joe z/pts actually put in real R&D into their exhaust system for the 2is. the general concept is the same (true cat-back exhaust system), but the joe z/pts system isn't a "copy" of the borla system.

Another great example-

the joe z intake pipe may or may not be the same as the f-sport intake pipe, but the f-sport intake system also includes the upper and lower portions of the f-sport version of the intake box - something the joe z intake didn't address. lexus didn't "copy" joe z's idea; they took it, put in real R&D, and "differentiated" their offering.

agreed, but this isn't a case of quality improvement or "finding a better way to do it." what you have here is company B copying company A's idea down to the details. unless someone intimately close to the project can actually refute the claims that are being made, i think it's fair to say what i just said. (btw, i'm not the one making the allegations; i can only read what's already posted.)

i give them credit for putting a kit together in 10 hours. however, what's the involved risk when you take another company's product design (and the R&D that went into it) and call it your own? if indeed the allegations are true (and still unaddressed as of this post), then all the credit should go to LMS for obvious reasons.

agreed, but this isn't a discussion about tastes/styles...
Old 10-18-09, 10:18 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

don't hate guys... geeze. just wait untill the real numbers come in before all this hate talk. then after your finished bashing on them, go make one yourself and stop talking ****!
Old 10-18-09, 10:36 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

FIRST and for most... for everyone that is talking crap on here and making it seem like we think we made the FIRST forced induction kit for this car.. you should go back and read from page 1... WE never stated that we are the kings of the world nor that we created this first...

Do you know how many companies make exhausts for numerous vehicles that are the same concept and same exact thing.... a bunch of pipes with mufflers on it...

Would you go rag on someone who makes a cat back exhaust after another company and gets the same gains? Because, that is utterly stupid.

There is no rule anywhere that states that someone can't make a supercharger for a car because someone else already did it.. or in your terms "copied"

What about coilovers? So many companies make them, Megan LP Series and JIC Magic do the same exact thing. Does that mean that Megan copied JIC Magic?

I don't expect compliments from everyone either, this is a forum and everyone can express their views on a topic as they wish.

But there is a difference between talking ***** for no reason and expressing your view.

If you want to talk smack, get out of this thread and go start another one.

I will state this again, we did not say we were the first one's to make a supercharger kit for the IS. Tom's, LMS, and HKS were way before us.

I'm an enthusiast and would love to have forced induction on my car for fun. I'm not trying to be the fastest guy on the planet. If there is a demand for something, and no on is making anything available for consumers, someone steps it up and puts together a kit...

you guys talk smack and hate on them for doing something good?

Last edited by IAMJAVEDG; 10-18-09 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: VIDEO & Photo's - IS350 Supercharger Install