Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin-turbo vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 03:53 AM
boostedis3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, for the amount of money you're going to spend buying a TT head and additionally purchasing all of the stock TT accessories or going single, you're better off going NA-T...
Old 07-11-11, 08:32 PM
ajh1717
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not dual charge? Run both a super and turbo charge set up. Give you a extremely smooth power band.
Old 07-11-11, 10:00 PM
boostedis3
Driver School Candidate

He'd be better off running a compound boost TT kit. The amount of money required to make a "twin charged" SC of any type is an absurd thing as compared to just going the good-old-reliable NA-T route. Wanna do it on a budget?

You can buy a VVTI head and delete the VVTI, or buy a non-GTE head and ditch the ditributor. Piece together your own kit (I did mine for roughly $2000 including TT rods/pistons, FIC, injectors, fuel lines, BL 2.5mm HG, ARPs), build your own FFIM from some D Extrusion for a few hundred bucks so you can retain the stock NA lower runners/rail, and either buy VVTI or NON TT spark/valve covers depending on what route you go. Assuming you're crafty, you can find built autos for well under a grand, or you can find a TH350/400 and go that route if auto is your thing.

The point is, if you're mechanically inclined at all, have a solid budget, and have a reliable daily so your IS can be down for a couple of weeks, you can build a very fast, very reliable car for well under $5,000 (and that's being generous assuming you buy a built auto, and go with a full standalone). Obviously supporting chassis/suspension/brake upgrades should be tacked on as well.
Old 10-20-11, 12:15 AM
knightIS30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darksparkz
Much more work required for a turbo job, especially if your planning to do a twin turbo. It's harder to find a TT manifold for the 2JZ-GE. Much easier to get a TT manifold for the 2JZ-GTE, so you might as well do a swap for it.

Otherwise, for the 2JZ-GE, a single turbo would probably yield higher gains in the long run. You'd need to start doing internal upgrades if you plan on boosting over 7-8psi, things like headgasket and such would need to be upgraded on the GE motor.

I'm wondering what the difference between the GE and TT exhaust manifolds are " besides the fact that ones a twin turbo manifold"?? Like why cant I just buy a stock TT manifold and turbo's from some guy that went big single on his supra and bolt it up to my IS300??? I'm new to the IS world and was just wondering that. Thanks.
Old 10-20-11, 06:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by knightIS30
I'm wondering what the difference between the GE and TT exhaust manifolds are " besides the fact that ones a twin turbo manifold"?? Like why cant I just buy a stock TT manifold and turbo's from some guy that went big single on his supra and bolt it up to my IS300??? I'm new to the IS world and was just wondering that. Thanks.
The heads are quite a bit different, so the manifolds won't bolt up at all...

In fact, the GE head actually flows more than the GTE head...

Just to clear up some inaccuracies in this thread as well:

There is no reason to run a forward facing intake manifold unless you plan on making more than 700hp.

There is also no reason to limit yourself to 7-8 psi without a thicker headgasket or different internals. It has been proven the VVTI motors, in stock form are very happy up to minimum 400 hp, and many have seen 500-600 without touching the VVTI GE motor. Sure, its higher compression, but who cares - pull some timing or run E85 and you are good to go...

You can find a whole single kit for $1450 from ClubNa-T - includes all of the turbo stuff, just add intercooler piping kit and fuel management, and you can run 8ish psi and make 300 hp. Add bigger fuel system and up the boost and 400-450 is doable with the stock motor - just make sure you are capable of pulling timing, or run E85...
Old 10-20-11, 07:48 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knightIS30
there are few differences. the tubing and flanges are different. one is round and the other is oval and the bolt pattern is different. it doesnt fit. ie round peg square hole. also where the turbo sits is differnt. on a GE the turbo needs to sit a little lower becasue the intercooler pipe from the Throttle body has to go over it. the GE manifold also **** the turbo at an angle. most GTE manifolds have the turbo sitting straight.

Last edited by baadhabit; 10-20-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-20-11, 07:55 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ajh1717
Why not dual charge? Run both a super and turbo charge set up. Give you a extremely smooth power band.
yeah sure. go ahead and try that and let me know how that works out for you.

theres a lot of missinformation in this thread. this thread needs to be deleted or let die.
Old 10-20-11, 06:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by baadhabit
yeah sure. go ahead and try that and let me know how that works out for you.

theres a lot of missinformation in this thread. this thread needs to be deleted or let die.
actually, a twin charged car works pretty well... a buddy of mine used to have a twin charged MR2... excellent throttle response, big power up top...

but, yes, lots of misinformation here...
Old 10-20-11, 07:01 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless your willing to dig deep in your pockets you should just do a GTE swap and do a BPU++ setup so you can make around 4xxhp. Or you can just go single. I'd personally count the supercharger out.
Old 10-21-11, 06:28 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
actually, a twin charged car works pretty well... a buddy of mine used to have a twin charged MR2... excellent throttle response, big power up top...

but, yes, lots of misinformation here...
its possible. yes i know. but there are easier ways to make power.

i was being sarcastic because the suggestion to do a twin charge sounds so easy. "yeah just twin charge it". sure why not "hey lets just get a v12 Ferrari motor and drop it in there"
Old 10-21-11, 06:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by baadhabit
its possible. yes i know. but there are easier ways to make power.

i was being sarcastic because the suggestion to do a twin charge sounds so easy. "yeah just twin charge it". sure why not "hey lets just get a v12 Ferrari motor and drop it in there"
I hear those Veyron W16's are coming down in price too
Old 02-18-12, 10:05 AM
super300
Rookie

s/c is different but most likely isnt going to make good power. better off sticking to na imo
Old 02-18-12, 06:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by super300
s/c is different but most likely isnt going to make good power. better off sticking to na imo
better off sticking to n/a? not a super big fan of supercharging, but, forced induction is almost always easier to make more power than staying n/a... to make real power on a Lexus V8 and stay naturally aspirated, you'd need very aggressive cams, individual throttle bodies, increased compression and more...
Old 02-29-12, 11:24 PM
SinisterIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ajh1717
The problem I've seen with most "dual charge" setups (besides the obvious trouble with it) is that the power making potential is usually only as strong as its weakest link, which is usually the supercharger. This is even more apparrently if the turbo boost is going INTO the blower first, then into the intake. Then the actual size of the blower unit becomes an eventual limiter of the turbo's boost potential.
Old 08-23-12, 04:33 PM
Bnneil
Driver School Candidate

I think a twin charged setup could be a blast but it will be expensive and of course lots of custom work. It seems like there are plenty of cheaper options out there that will make pretty decent power. There is that Lotus Exige rolling around that is twin charged with a Billet 6265 that makes crazy power all over. I know he paid a grip for it! I would think dropping the twin turbo Aristo GTE setup could be a very reliable option though I have no clue what all would be involved in doing that swap. Is there a sticky thread somewhere that outlines what is needed to do this swap? Obviously the wiring and full swap but would you use the IS trans and rear diff? Or the Aristo trans and diff? If you could use the Complete Aristo setup it seems like that would be the best solution. Everything is already setup to work together perfectly especially in Auto trans form. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking of swapping my GS400 at first but I think an IS might be more fun than a big heavy GS.

Quick Reply: Twin-turbo vs. Supercharger