Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 01:16 AM
Triton3k
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ok been away for a bit but seems like my P1349 code keeps coming back. Another thing that happened when I pulled the bolt out to remove the filter I noticed the filter fell out inside so now I gotta try and get the filter out tomorrow and see what tool I can use to get it out. If it aint one thing its another with this car. Also i'm not mechanically advanced but how am I applying 12v to the solenoid to test it? That part still has me a bit confused. Sorry if I sound crazy, I just hope its not nothing with the actual VVTI system thats gonna cost me lots of money. Aaargghh

Last edited by Triton3k; 03-31-13 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-31-13, 10:50 AM
Triton3k
Driver

And now I'm getting a p1656 code. FML
Old 04-01-13, 10:17 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

use a paper clip to get that filter out...or are you saying its WAY deep in there??? My filter will go in/out using my pinky, it wont go in "too far"...Im wondering if your engine doesnt require the filter?

On the 12V thing - unlpug the wire harness from the OCV valve, looking at the OCV Valve where the wires plug into you will see 2 pins, take 2 wires and apply 12V to those pins, (-) to one (+) to the other...you can jimmy something up to keep the wires from touching.

I used large wires and didnt strip one end, then I forced the wire over the pin on the OCV went into the end of the insulation of the wire...that forced the pin to touch the actual wire while keeping it insulated. You could use 2 small alligator clips also.

If you keep throwing the code after all this, then its most likely the cam shaft sensor, or possibly sludge built up inside the VVTi CAM or the rubber seal inside the VVTi Cam may be leaking internal oil pressure - (I took mine apart it was a major PIA...so DONT TRY IT!)

Originally Posted by Triton3k
^ok been away for a bit but seems like my P1349 code keeps coming back. Another thing that happened when I pulled the bolt out to remove the filter I noticed the filter fell out inside so now I gotta try and get the filter out tomorrow and see what tool I can use to get it out. If it aint one thing its another with this car. Also i'm not mechanically advanced but how am I applying 12v to the solenoid to test it? That part still has me a bit confused. Sorry if I sound crazy, I just hope its not nothing with the actual VVTI system thats gonna cost me lots of money. Aaargghh
Old 04-01-13, 11:47 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

use a paper clip to get that filter out...or are you saying its WAY deep in there??? My filter will go in/out using my pinky, it wont go in "too far"...Im wondering if your engine doesnt require the filter?

On the 12V thing - unlpug the wire harness from the OCV valve, looking at the OCV Valve where the wires plug into you will see 2 pins, take 2 wires and apply 12V to those pins, (-) to one (+) to the other...you can jimmy something up to keep the wires from touching.

I used large wires and didnt strip one end, then I forced the wire over the pin on the OCV went into the end of the insulation of the wire...that forced the pin to touch the actual wire while keeping it insulated. You could use 2 small alligator clips also.

If you keep throwing the code after all this, then its most likely the cam shaft sensor, or possibly sludge built up inside the VVTi CAM or the rubber seal inside the VVTi Cam may be leaking internal oil pressure - (I took mine apart it was a major PIA...so DONT TRY IT!)

Old 04-02-13, 08:06 AM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jackmk9
My Toyota Altezza gave me this error
P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1), I need help to sort out the problem which might be due to blocked oil control valve filter. What part do i replace is it the oil control valve filter.
This is a Lexus forum. For your answers you should be looking in the proper forums
Old 04-02-13, 08:14 AM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

I have questions
1. Where can i locate the OCV in a Toyota Alteeza 1999 model which is similar to Gs300 (USDM model IS300).
2. Where can buy the OCV am located in Zambia, Africa and i need the OCV urgently.

Jack
Search the correct forums for your answers.
Old 04-02-13, 08:18 AM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

I have questions
1. Where can i locate the OCV in a Toyota Alteeza 1999 model which is similar to Gs300 (USDM model IS300).
2. Where can buy the OCV am located in Zambia, Africa and i need the OCV urgently.

Jack
It takes 2 minutes to get the ocv off. Just take it off & turn it over & the filter will fall out. I had the same problem & sticking things in there to try to get it out caused mine to go in deeper. All the time I wasted attempting to fish it out could have been avoided just buy removing the ocv & shaking the filter out
Old 04-02-13, 08:31 AM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

It's not easy to part with $120 but all the alternatives to replacing the ocv such as soaking it, cleaning it or just changing the filter is pretty much a waste of time. Rarely do the filters get clogged & rarely is the filter the problem. I tested my ocv while hot & it still performed well but when ur trying to pump hot oil thru it it can not perform the same as when it's removed & tested while not pumping oil. Just change the ocv & rid urself of the headaches. Just a heads up....when ordering ur new ocv make sure u order the new filter at the same time. It's an $8 filter & it does not come with the new ocv, it must b purchased separately....AGAIN, I have the whole procedure step by step in photos so if anyone needs to photos just ask & I will email them to u. It's 5 photos that will explain exactly & easily how to change ur ocv. Even if you don't have any mechanical experience it will take you about 45 minutes tops & the job only requires a 10mm socket & a 5mm hex head. If u need the pics make sure you quote this message so the forum alerts me that there is a request. I don't always check this forum & I would love to help ppl fix this simple problem themselves & not have to pay a mechanic a fortune to "possibly fix it"
Old 04-02-13, 08:49 AM
Triton3k
Driver

Originally Posted by az-dave

Gotcha. Is the Cam shaft sensor easy to replace or would I be better off taking it to a mechanic.
Old 04-03-13, 04:36 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Not as Easy. OCV is super easy. If changing the OCV and filter do not rid the problem, then 90-99% of us wont have the equipment or skill to fix the other parts.

Cleaning filter/OCV Valve us usually useless as Nuck's said. Must be test Installed and with engine running HOT.

At that stage you either take to a good mechanic (or dealer if you really want to), and see if they can run diagnostics to determine the real error.

My experience with the dealers isnt great, in EVERY case (from Multiple Lexus Dealers) on a difficult problem they simply suggested replacing entire expensive modules...Entire Throttle Body, Entire ABS Unit, Entire OCV VVTi Cam/Pully System, Even the ECU - EACH Time they were WRONG!!!

They should be able to Scope the car while running, rev up and down, see the timing using the scope and strobe, and then determine if your problem is related to actual timing, or maybe just the ECU, or maybe a loose wire...how much time will that take, and how much are you willing to pay another person to invest that time to narrow down and find the real cause of the problem.

Gotcha. Is the Cam shaft sensor easy to replace or would I be better off taking it to a mechanic.
Old 04-03-13, 04:40 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Nucks - My filter wasnt located where the OCV installs, it is located where the Oil line and hollow bolt connect a few inches below below the OCV valve...The first post on this thread shows the diagram, which is identical to my GS300 2JZGE NA engine.

are there alternative setups?

Originally Posted by NucklBustr
It takes 2 minutes to get the ocv off. Just take it off & turn it over & the filter will fall out. I had the same problem & sticking things in there to try to get it out caused mine to go in deeper. All the time I wasted attempting to fish it out could have been avoided just buy removing the ocv & shaking the filter out
Old 04-03-13, 04:44 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Another thing the ECU uses to determine the VVTi is the Camshaft sensor, located below the harmonic balancer - The crank shaft has a fitting on it that has teeth on it, and those teeth are magnetic and pass over the sensor. Forgot about that.

Guess just saying, if its not OCV itself, your gunna have to take it somewhere. :-(
Old 04-18-13, 09:09 PM
johnniehd
Driver School Candidate

Ok..I have read every post on this thread and I still can't figure out where the OCV filter is located on my 98 LS400. It still presents the same problem at idling and low speeds. The VSC light still came on and code P1349 came up from a visit to Pep Boys. I have taken out the OCV and cleaned it thoroughly. Still have same issues. Anyone can help lead me to the OCV filter?

It had a broken drive belt tensioner, a bad alternator, and a leaking PSP. I replaced the alternator and the tensioner and reconditioned the PSP.
Old 04-19-13, 09:36 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

johnn: Thats prob cuz this thread is for GS's with the I-6 engine.

But...that being said, I would have swore someone posted a few pages back on where the OCV's are located on the V8's (there are 2 of them, since the V-8 has 2 VVTi cams)

You may jog over the the LS4xx forums and try a search for that engine code if this thread doesnt help.

Or try googleing that code and LS400 and that might find the OCV thing in the LS forums (ive found it easier to google search for clublexus than using the search tab...just my take on it)

In any event, since yours is the LS, not the GS, whatever you find out may help others if you post info on the LS forums.

Originally Posted by johnniehd
Ok..I have read every post on this thread and I still can't figure out where the OCV filter is located on my 98 LS400. It still presents the same problem at idling and low speeds. The VSC light still came on and code P1349 came up from a visit to Pep Boys. I have taken out the OCV and cleaned it thoroughly. Still have same issues. Anyone can help lead me to the OCV filter?

It had a broken drive belt tensioner, a bad alternator, and a leaking PSP. I replaced the alternator and the tensioner and reconditioned the PSP.
Old 04-19-13, 10:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by johnniehd
U for 100% didnt read every post of this thread because if you had you would have seen where i did a write up for the GS430 which essentially is the same motor as the SC400/LS400/LS430/GS400. also if you had actually read this thread you would know a few members and myself stated the OCV filter is built into the V8 models. you need to replace your whole OCV

Originally Posted by az-dave
johnn: Thats prob cuz this thread is for GS's with the I-6 engine.

But...that being said, I would have swore someone posted a few pages back on where the OCV's are located on the V8's (there are 2 of them, since the V-8 has 2 VVTi cams)
i did.....on post # 67.....but yeah, he def read EVERY post on this thread

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter