Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking of supercharging...again revisited; some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 12:11 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
not to burst your bubble but why GS400+supercharger? seems like its a lot easier to get a GS300 and turblow it.
....well, for one I already have a GS400 and am not going to sell it just to buy a GS300 to turbo it; I would probably get a whole different car all together. Anyway, that is not an option for me. Also, I just want some extra ooomph on my V8. It is my daily driver and I feel that a supercharged 6-8psi with a mild tune would suit me better than an aftermarket turbo'd GS...that's better for racing (if I wanted it to be my weekend racing car). I constantly hear guys having to tune and rebuild turbos whereas I know people that have superchargers that just do basic period maintenance.
Old 07-30-08, 03:53 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could just buy this one for 10,799
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2153
Old 07-31-08, 08:39 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

....just called about it...sold in Orange County about 7 days ago. Someone got a CHEAP very fast ride. $5000 more and they could get a sweet paint job and do some clean-up maintenence on it. Great DEAL!
Old 08-04-08, 06:14 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
....well, for one I already have a GS400 and am not going to sell it just to buy a GS300 to turbo it; I would probably get a whole different car all together. Anyway, that is not an option for me. Also, I just want some extra ooomph on my V8. It is my daily driver and I feel that a supercharged 6-8psi with a mild tune would suit me better than an aftermarket turbo'd GS...that's better for racing (if I wanted it to be my weekend racing car). I constantly hear guys having to tune and rebuild turbos whereas I know people that have superchargers that just do basic period maintenance.

I wouldn't count on that. A turbo setup done right will out last the car. I can't tell you how many times my friends threw belts and had their pullies flying on them out of a famous name supercharger kit!!!
Old 08-05-08, 05:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...Then my next question is can I put a single turbo on my GS400? Is there a mild turbo kit where I would not need to change the engine's internals? Guys, I just want a little more reliable power...without going nuts; my car is NOT my primary anymore it's my fiance and my new home. Car is a close second though, lol.
Old 08-05-08, 11:16 AM
klynchgs4
Driver

i'm not a frequent poster here but i'll chime in on this...first - nothing significant comes straight off the shelf for a gs400 (all has to be custom built)...i started out with just srt intake, pi t/c and the rmm lsd (3:76 gears)...wasn't satisfied - picked up the rmm supercharger - running 13.2's at 104 mph (best dyno was 400 to the wheels - average was around 380)...still not enough - sold the supercharger and bought jeff's (tturbopimp) srt twin turbo kit - had the engine built and more (pistons, rods, dual hi-flow fuel pumps, return fuel line, the works)...then half-way through the project, the tuner talked me into going another route...so i sold the tt kit to another cl member (who then sold it to another cl member - i think that kit is just going to continue to change hands - not sure if i'll ever hear about it on an actual gs400)...anyway, we're now going to be putting on a garrett gt42r...i have a race built tranny in the car and another race built tranny in my garage for when i blow the one inside the car (hopefully not, but i've blown a tranny and the down time sucks)...i have not had use of my car for the past 3 years...hopefully it will be ready in the next couple months...i have spent more modifying the car than the original cost (i bought it new in '98 for $42.5k and the last time i added up how much i've spend on the car, well it was a bit painful)...so, if you're like most of us, i doubt you'll be satisfied with just a little more power...i'm at the point where i'm so burned out, i think once i get the car - i'll drive it for a week and then put it up for sale (maybe not...)
Old 08-06-08, 05:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Hey Klynch...you got PM.
Old 08-07-08, 02:03 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

track your car. i wanna see what it runs. pleeeeeease
Old 09-24-08, 02:40 AM
DavE713
Lead Lap

yes track ur car!!! also maybe 125 shot? instead?
Old 09-29-08, 07:33 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 125 shot.. it was fun.. but sudden surge of power isnt good on your tranny... Also the bother with filling the bottle is old...

I am in the same boat you are.. I wll just map out a few differences in turbo chargers v superchargers for the GS400..

Turbo chargers require:
Turbo-good turbo is about $800 +
Downpipe - about $300 at a local shop
Custom manifolds - EXPENSIVE about 2500
BOV (or diverter valve) $200
Wastegate (unless its internal) $150
Custom IC piping - depends
IC- $500 for decent precision
Couplers-
Screws.. etc

Supercharger systems:
Mounting bracket- doing custom prob about $300
Supercharger- I got mine 600 + $500 rebuild
Belts-
custom piping
(optional IC)

You can see from just that info provided the difference comes to be a great deal... I know I left stuff out.. thats just to show the major parts

You will also need fuel management like a walterboro 255, something to tune the new fuel with like a SAFC, ... etc.. injectors... list gets longer

when all is said and done I am lookin at a cheaper option than turboing with a supercharger..

Its all about power goals... I dont want to build my tranny OR blow my motor so I am going to say concervative with under 400whp.. If I wanted to go faster I would drive another car.. I just want to be able to outrun other cars that are coming out with 380hp stock.. makes me feel like my 300hp isnt anything anymore..

hopefully this helped you a little bit

I am doing all the piping myself, (it may not be perfect but its saving me money)

It would prob be easy for me to do two of each to save us money.. esp with the bracket thing...
Old 09-30-08, 05:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dcz
I had a 125 shot.. it was fun.. but sudden surge of power isnt good on your tranny... Also the bother with filling the bottle is old...

I am in the same boat you are.. I wll just map out a few differences in turbo chargers v superchargers for the GS400..

Turbo chargers require:
Couplers-
Screws.. etc

Supercharger systems:
Belts-
custom piping
(optional IC)

You can see from just that info provided the difference comes to be a great deal... I know I left stuff out.. thats just to show the major parts

You will also need fuel management like a walterboro 255, something to tune the new fuel with like a SAFC, ... etc.. injectors... list gets longer

when all is said and done I am lookin at a cheaper option than turboing with a supercharger..

Its all about power goals... I dont want to build my tranny OR blow my motor so I am going to say concervative with under 400whp.. If I wanted to go faster I would drive another car.. I just want to be able to outrun other cars that are coming out with 380hp stock.. makes me feel like my 300hp isnt anything anymore..

I am doing all the piping myself, (it may not be perfect but its saving me money)

It would prob be easy for me to do two of each to save us money.. esp with the bracket thing...

... you summed up my exact feelings on this! I replied to your PM also BTW. Thanks
Old 09-30-08, 08:14 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditch GS4, get a GS3 and NA-T with better head gaskets?
Old 10-01-08, 05:34 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Three thoughts to add here..

1) The "SQ" in Vortech V-2 SQ SC-Trim means Super Quiet if I recall correctly.. Might be a bit better to go with a "luxury" vehicle.

2) Power delivery. Difference between how turbo and super charger setups feel can be pretty big. Since the supercharger is belt driven, you can hit max boost only at the top of your rpm range, making power delivery similar to a n/a motor. Turbo's, on the other hand, can hit max boost at a much lower rpm and hold that amount of boost all the way to redline. A turbo setup feels a lot less progressive and may feel more "laggy" since boost can be built in such a short span of rpm.

theoretical example of turbo setup: 0 psi at 1500 rpm, floor it, achieve max boost of 8psi at 3500 rpm and remains at 8psi until you let off the gas.

3) If you guys are spending that much money on forced induction, please do not skimp on engine management and tuning! I know legit engine management doesn't look cool or make cool sounds, but it will help your car run more efficiently (aka more power) and it will help ensure reliability and longevity of your motor!
Old 10-02-08, 02:46 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcz

Turbo chargers require:
Couplers-
Screws.. etc

Supercharger systems:
Belts-
custom piping
(optional IC)

Which Supercharger unit did you decide to go with?