Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I wish there were lightweight axles and driveshafts for our cars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 01:26 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I hear you buddy, excellent points.. Nick(OP) is going to be the guinee pig
lol...perhaps just pig; I've been called that many times by the ladies.
Old 04-15-08, 01:42 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
How much weight would be loss? Would it really be worth it?
Well, let me ask you something. Not sarcastic...when I purchased my 3.76 LSD new from Team Lexus they also threw in new rear axles so I installed them for the hell of it. I noticed that those things were pretty damn heavy for being only +/- 3' long each. Let's say one of these rear axles are 30lbs and lets say a CF or aluminum replacement is 20lbs. That's a 10lbs savings/axle! and remember this is unsprung (rotational) weight. Let's go onto the driveshaft...I have no idea how much this could weigh but if it is similar savings as the aforementioned axles (33%) then at least another 15-20lbs could be saved right there (because the driveshaft is alot longer)! So all in all if all of these items are replaced it would save you 35-40lbs or unsprung weight. That is alot! People realize a big difference when they buy lightweight wheels when they are only 5-6lbs lighter than before...that is only a 20-24lbs savings (for 4 wheels) and it is VERY noticable and people pay BIG $$$ for lightweight 3-pc wheels; what are they like $700-$900/wheel or something like that? I know your paying for more than just the weight reduction for these beautiful wheels but many here will buy these wheels JUST for the extra weight reduction. Also, perhaps this weight reduction is even greater (compunded) because it's that much closer to the power source (engine)...whereas the wheels are the end of the line and the crankshaft is the beginning. Does any of this make sense or am I looking at this all wrong?
Old 04-15-08, 02:34 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you are saying Rock, and I agree.

It doesn't have to make a gain of xx rwhp to make a big difference. I bet the acceleration and response would improve a lot.
Old 04-15-08, 02:35 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well, let me ask you something. Not sarcastic...when I purchased my 3.76 LSD new from Team Lexus they also threw in new rear axles so I installed them for the hell of it. I noticed that those things were pretty damn heavy for being only +/- 3' long each. Let's say one of these rear axles are 30lbs and lets say a CF or aluminum replacement is 20lbs. That's a 10lbs savings/axle! and remember this is unsprung (rotational) weight. Let's go onto the driveshaft...I have no idea how much this could weigh but if it is similar savings as the aforementioned axles (33%) then at least another 15-20lbs could be saved right there (because the driveshaft is alot longer)! So all in all if all of these items are replaced it would save you 35-40lbs or unsprung weight. That is alot! People realize a big difference when they buy lightweight wheels when they are only 5-6lbs lighter than before...that is only a 20-24lbs savings (for 4 wheels) and it is VERY noticable and people pay BIG $$$ for lightweight 3-pc wheels; what are they like $700-$900/wheel or something like that? I know your paying for more than just the weight reduction for these beautiful wheels but many here will buy these wheels JUST for the extra weight reduction. Also, perhaps this weight reduction is even greater (compunded) because it's that much closer to the power source (engine)...whereas the wheels are the end of the line and the crankshaft is the beginning. Does any of this make sense or am I looking at this all wrong?
I understand but if you are trying to lose weight you should look into all aspects of losing weight in the car lighter wheels, racing seats, cf hood/trunk etc. Like you said it's almost pointless to get 3 piece wheels that are heavier than stock if you're trying to cut down on weight. Why get a lighter driveshaft if your wheels, amp, bass box etc already added weight. But guess it comes down to having a good looking comfortable car that's quick. I think FI is the only way to go in terms of bang for buck or Nitrous. My goal is only 500rwhp on my SC but I have 19's, kit etc.... I haven't done anything in terms of weight reduction but that's fine with me, if power to weight ratio was an issue I would just get a Hardtop Supra.
Old 04-16-08, 05:33 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...agreed!!! Your right BTW. If we could gather interest and someone would agree to build custom axles and/or driveshafts for a good price then I would get rid of the non-essentials first before anything (i.e. replace my subs and box in the trunk with one 10" sub in the factory location). I just like the idea because there is no tuning involved and no one could tell why your car is faster...even if you pop the hood! lol That's why I like the PI TC and 3.76 LSD mods so much. GL on your ride BTW sound like it's going to be real mean!
Old 04-16-08, 09:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock driveshaft really doesn't weight much at all. It's a hollow tube, not solid like the rear axles. If I were to guess...I say it weighs about 18-20lbs. I have my engine and transmission out of the car AGAIN so I'll go weigh the driveshaft later. I'd say a CF driveshaft should weight about 10-12lb or so. I mean the weight reduction is not going to be much. But the biggest benefit will be the CF driveshaft being able to hold more power. I'm not sure how much power the stock driveshaft will hold, but I'm sure I'm going to be putting that to the test soon lol
Old 04-16-08, 06:20 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot comment on the GS side, but I do have a one piece carbon fiber driveshaft from PST on my 3000GT. It made quite a bit of difference on my 3000 since the factory D/S on my car weighs in excess of 50 lbs. and is 3 pieces. Biggest difference was at highway speeds. When crusing at 75 in 6th gear, I used to gear down to overtake vehicles. After the PST shaft install, it is effortless running from 70-whatever without downshifting. It was not the cheapest mod at $1k, but very high quality and no complaints after 4 years on the car.
Old 04-20-13, 12:06 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lol... good read. wow and '08 thread. I was reading this earlier and wondered what the lexus ppl do.
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0310...n/viewall.html

Last edited by sam430; 04-20-13 at 12:20 PM.