Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers from ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 07:00 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC5tuner
Even though the diameter of the pipings are 2.25", the simple fact that it eliminates the cat proves that yall will gain significant power...how much is the question. The presence of the cat is what holds back the potential power the car can make. Someone be the guinea pig, and buy this.
Ahem, I'm gonna be the pig on this one. I just placed an order. It turns out (no surprise) that the headers on eBay are not Megan Racing headers. They're generics. However, their picture says that it is a picture of the actual part. The picture depicts what appears to be the identical header sold by Megan Racing. I'm would bet that they are sourcing their headers from the same manufacturer that Megan Racing is using. They look just too similar. I'll let you guys know once I get them in. I'm curious to see the quality on the welds. These are probably made in China or Taiwan somewhere.

However, being a fan of anything Chinese, I know that their quality control standards are improving. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll lay out the parts and take good pictures once the parts arrive. Total price paid, including shipping and insurance was $196.90. I'll know in a few days (or weeks) if I got taken for a ride or not.

As far as the O2 sensor goes, I don't know what I will do with that yet. If I can get it done with minimal trouble and cost, the I'll try to relocate them (or it). However, I suspect I will just try to fool the sensor to prevent a CEL.

Here are links to both photos and the auction:

Megan Racing Headers photo: http://www.meganracing.com/uploadIma...DSC02975x8.jpg

Generic Headers from EB Stores on eBay: http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...TPHDLI2506.gif

Link to auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Link to Megan Racing Headers product page: http://www.meganracing.com/demo/prod...d=466&catid=67

Y'all let me know what you think.

Last edited by caribmon71; 07-26-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 07:11 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a before and after dyno... it's going to be pointless.
Old 07-26-07, 07:23 PM
DC5tuner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
Well, when it comes to exhaust, bigger is definitely not always better. It's all about velocity. I think a good way to "best guess" the apropriate size requirements as they would compare to your car is to look at your cylinder displacement compared to the IS250's cylinder displacement then also take into account the RPM ranges for each. Your pistons are 500 cc each, and the IS250's pistons are only 417 cc. Your engine also has a significantly higher redline, right? If so, you can probably take advantage of significantly larger primaries.
Yeah, my redline is set at 8600 rpm...I forgot to take into account the IS's redline and displacement. What's the compression on the 350?

Last edited by DC5tuner; 07-26-07 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 07:24 PM
DC5tuner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caribmon71
Ahem, I'm gonna be the pig on this one. I just placed an order. It turns out (no surprise) that the headers on eBay are not Megan Racing headers. They're generics. However, their picture says that it is a picture of the actual part. The picture depicts what appears to be the identical header sold by Megan Racing. I'm would bet that they are sourcing their headers from the same manufacturer that Megan Racing is using. They look just too similar. I'll let you guys know once I get them in. I'm curious to see the quality on the welds. These are probably made in China or Taiwan somewhere.

However, being a fan of anything Chinese, I know that their quality control standards are improving. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll lay out the parts and take good pictures once the parts arrive. Total price paid, including shipping and insurance was $196.90. I'll know in a few days (or weeks) if I got taken for a ride or not.

As far as the O2 sensor goes, I don't know what I will do with that yet. If I can get it done with minimal trouble and cost, the I'll try to relocate them (or it). However, I suspect I will just try to fool the sensor to prevent a CEL.

Here are links to both photos and the auction:

Megan Racing Headers photo: http://www.meganracing.com/uploadIma...DSC02975x8.jpg

Generic Headers from EB Stores on eBay: http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...TPHDLI2506.gif

Link to auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=012

Link to Megan Racing Headers product page: http://www.meganracing.com/demo/prod...d=466&catid=67

Y'all let me know what you think.

way to be a team player
Old 07-26-07, 11:26 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Originally Posted by car_lost
Without a before and after dyno... it's going to be pointless.
What's going to be pointless? A dyno after the installation with no dyno prior to? Or the entire installation?

I suppose I already messed up by not dynoing prior to the installation of the Medallion exhaust and the Injen SP intake. However, I could dyno now and then again after I get the headers installed.

Personally, I don't really care that much about dyno results. If I can feel more power or believe I feel more power, then I'm happy. If it feels the same, then I'm not so happy. If it feels slower, then I'll just remove it and go on. I've never dynoed a car after installing a mod. I'd rather spend that money on gas or more mods.

So like I posted earlier, if anyone wants to sponsor the dyno runs, I'll give it a go... before and after. If not, I'll definitely let you know if it feels (or sounds) faster or not. I'd hate for anyone to waste a whole day installing these only to have to spend another day uninstalling due to poor performance. Two days time is worth a heck of a lot more than the cost of these headers.

I'll be sure to keep y'all posted!
Old 07-27-07, 12:32 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good stuff! Can't wait to get your opinion on them!
Old 07-27-07, 05:45 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

However, I could dyno now and then again after I get the headers installed.
This is exactly what I meant If you don't dyno before the header installation... we'll never know how much power you were making BEFORE the headers.
Old 07-27-07, 05:47 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Go check out some local speed shops and report back to us what kind of dyno they have and how much it would cost for before and after runs. I'd be willing to pitch in.
Old 07-27-07, 06:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DC5tuner
Yeah, my redline is set at 8600 rpm...I forgot to take into account the IS's redline and displacement. What's the compression on the 350?
These headers are for the 250, not the 350. If I remember correctly, compression on the 250 is 12:1, and the 350 is 11.7:1.
Old 07-27-07, 10:23 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Expensive Installation...?

What's going to be pointless? A dyno after the installation with no dyno prior to? Or the entire installation?

I suppose I already messed up by not dynoing prior to the installation of the Medallion exhaust and the Injen SP intake. However, I could dyno now and then again after I get the headers installed.

Personally, I don't really care that much about dyno results. If I can feel more power or believe I feel more power, then I'm happy. If it feels the same, then I'm not so happy. If it feels slower, then I'll just remove it and go on. I've never dynoed a car after installing a mod. I'd rather spend that money on gas or more mods.

So like I posted earlier, if anyone wants to sponsor the dyno runs, I'll give it a go... before and after. If not, I'll definitely let you know if it feels (or sounds) faster or not. I'd hate for anyone to waste a whole day installing these only to have to spend another day uninstalling due to poor performance. Two days time is worth a heck of a lot more than the cost of these headers.

I'll be sure to keep y'all posted!
That would be a pretty expensive installation to say that you'll take them off if you don't feel anything...Don't they have to pull the motor for access to the headers. That can't be cheap...
Old 07-27-07, 12:16 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chaser07
That would be a pretty expensive installation to say that you'll take them off if you don't feel anything...Don't they have to pull the motor for access to the headers. That can't be cheap...
No, no, no... the engine does not come down for this install. I'm expecting somewhere between 6 to 8 hours of work.

My cost on this will be about a case of beer, a bottle of DonQ, a pack of Newport Lights and about $75.

The beer is for innocent and curious bystanders, the rum and cigarettes are for the driveway & tools we'll be using, and the cash is for the knuckle dragger that's going to be doing most of the hard work.

I love Puerto Rico!

I think I have a place with a Dyno near by. I'll call and ask. If I find it, I'll post the shop's number here for anyone to call and ask whatever it is that gets asked when one calls a shop with a Dyno.

Last edited by caribmon71; 07-27-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 12:55 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Your item has been shipped for Item # 220132693406 - Stainless Steel Header Lexus IS250 06 07 2006 2007 RWD
"service@ebstores.us" <auction.messages@channeladvisor.com>

We have shipped your eBay Motors Fixed Price Item # 220132693406.
Stainless Steel Header Lexus IS250 06 07 2006 2007 RWD
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220132693406

910180521390773171xxxx US Postal Service
--------------------------------------

Thank you !

www.Ebstores.us

I guess I'm fixin' to have my hands full next weekend. I'm on the phonebook right now looking for a shop with a Dyno. I'll keep posting.

Last edited by caribmon71; 07-27-07 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 02:02 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Ok, I found one in Cataño (like that really makes a difference to you!) who charges $25 for 3 runs. They must be on the same day, however. So I guess I'm looking at $50 for before and after runs.

Keep your money in your pockets for now, though. First I want to see these things to make sure that they look of a good enough quality before I install them. If they differ significantly from the Megan Racing product in design and quality, I will probably decide not install them. If that were the case, I'll just throw them back up on eBay.

Lets keep our fingers crossed. By the way, the Dyno's owner's name is Mauricio. He can be reached at 787-223-5770.
Old 07-27-07, 03:41 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

That's very cheap for dyno runs!
Old 07-27-07, 03:51 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Like I posted earlier... I love Puerto Rico!

If you are using it for tuning purposes the charges are as follows: Normally aspirated = $50/hr. Turbocharged = $60/hr.

I have no idea as to how these compare to prices in the US.

Quick Reply: Headers from ebay