Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny cooler....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 04:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone knows if I get a TRD thermostat, where does it go? How hard is the installation?
Old 11-07-01, 04:23 PM
RacingAristo

will the aftermarket thermostat help to lower the temp?
Old 11-07-01, 04:34 PM
RacingAristo

BTW, do you guys know where I could find a decent price on the tranny cooler? Appreciate it.
Old 11-07-01, 04:35 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
will the aftermarket thermostat help to lower the temp?
the thermostat, oil cap and radiator cap all helps lowering temperature.

All cheap mods for good effects.
Old 11-07-01, 04:37 PM
RacingAristo

I thought those caps are for the look.
Old 11-07-01, 04:43 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, do you guys know where I could find a decent price on the tranny cooler? Appreciate it.
www.jegs.com
www.summitracing.com

just to list a couple

Per Tiny's mention above, PepBoys

Just about any autoparts store online...
Old 11-07-01, 04:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I thought those caps are for the look.
some caps on the market (Something-something R, miscellaneous rice brands) don't do jack except for looks better. However name brand ones like Mugen, TRD, GReddy, etc all really do something. The oil and radiator caps increase pressure, therefore lowering oil and water temperature by around 10 degrees Celcius. I think that's pretty good, considering 2 caps = 100 bucks.
Old 11-07-01, 07:48 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny cooler

Originally posted by evad
Does tranny cooler have an integral thermostat that allows cooling only after fluid reaches an optimum temp?

If not, tranny fluid will not reach optimum temp on a cool day.
Evad? You dont need any additional thermostat. The tranny cooler is not a mechnical or electric part.
You are simply putting an extra cooling device in the path of tranny fluid on its way from the radiator back to the tranny.
During city (stop and go or performance) driving, "optimum" temp in a tranny is obtained in a few minutes and is then quickly surpassed......The tranny cooler wont "over-cool" the fluid, it is in place to help keep the optimum oil temp...
The Hayden web-site states that every 20 degree drop in transmission temp can double the life of the transmission.
Old 12-11-01, 10:28 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thanks for the writeup tinygs! Based on what I read here I've decided on the Hayden cooler as well and it's sitting in my garage waiting to be installed over the weekend.

Peter
Old 12-12-01, 01:58 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Thanks for the writeup tinygs! Based on what I read here I've decided on the Hayden cooler as well and it's sitting in my garage waiting to be installed over the weekend.

Peter
I wish I cold say I had a stage II SC sitin in the garage awaiting installation...heeheee Those pics you posted were sweeeet.
As for the tranny cooler, I can imagine it will be an even bigger help for a GS with OVER 320RWHP!!!!! Im jealous...
Old 12-26-02, 02:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Be careful

Just an FYI.
I have tried 4 different trans coolers on my and a friends GS4.
We have found that a large unit WILL impede the cooling capabilities in hot weather (100+) along with any type of semi aggressive driving. In fact the needle went straight to below red on both cars. Remember that the trans cooler gets very hot and the air pushes this heat right into the radiator. Also many of these generic coolers use cheap tie straps to connect it to the radiator once again providing heat transfer straight into the cooling system.
I have tried Imperial, Hayden, and two different B&M coolers.
I finally went with the polished B&M racing cooler, anodized connectors and polished steel lines instead of rubber hoses all of the place. Brackets keep the cooler from the radiator for even more cooling. The steel lines were pre-bent for the GS. A very clean and custom look without the negative effects of thrown together kits.
If anyone is interested in pics I can post them.
Old 12-26-02, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

PearlPower - very good info. I'm about to have a TC in my car, so a tranny cooler is of some interest to me, although I still doubt it's really needed.

Can you post a link to info on the web about this B&M product? I've not heard of that or them before. And it's custom made for the GS? If so, that's cool. One other question - why will it not suffer from heating the radiator also like the others?
Old 12-26-02, 07:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Sure thing

Hello Bit

This unit is only 11x4.5 vs 11x7-11" for other models. This way it does not block the radiator as much as the other units do. The unit is thicker than most. 1.5" vs .75 for others. So it certainly does the job of cooling. I will post a picture later on since I'm doing an install for a friends 99 GS this evening.
Oh and yes this is a custom kit.
Old 12-26-02, 11:15 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I'm not sure which Hayden cooler you used previously but the 677 is 5 1/2 x 11. The amount of heat it generates and how it's mounted is also a factor. You can mount it in front of the radiator to allow maximum trans cooling or behind the radiator which is less effective (~70-75%) but still cools the trans.

FWIW: I've had a couple of 95 degree days and haven't seen the problems you've mentioned.

OTOH having custom pipes for the cooler sounds niiice.
Old 12-27-02, 12:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Good size

The size you mentioned would work nicely with the GS. As mentioned above, issues come into play when a large unit is utillized as pictured above. Using a pyrometer and also an inline temp sensor and gauge, the fluid of a stock GS went up to 217 degrees on a hot day (103+) without a cooler under hard conditions.
With a large Hayden cooler, it dropped down to 165-177 under the same conditions, but the coolant temp. went straight up to before redline. The large units cover a large portion of the radiator ,and while the radiator is expecting cool fresh air, it is instead getting hot trans cooler air. It goes without saying that this is with the cooler mounted in front of the radiator. With the newer smaller yet thicker unit I'm running without the cheasy tie strapes and associated heat transfer, I run a consistent 161-173 under hard conditions with no coolant temp issues. Your size should not give you any issues as you stated. Curious, where did you mount yours.
Up top or down below? We have found that mounting down below behind the front lower skirt gives slightly better performance.
It was on average a 3 degree difference. Instead I opted to mount it behind the front grill for accessibility to the connectors (no hose clamps) and it looks sweet through the grill.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-27-02 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler....