Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

White Smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 12:36 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes.

I'm curious to see who still have white smokes coming out of their stock exhaust. I have a little over 6.5k and I live in s. cali. A lot of the times, I still see a lot of smokes coming out of the pipes and 1.) its not that cold where I live and 2.) its not a brand spanking new car anymore. Should I be concern although I know its Not black smokes which means its eating up/burning engine oil?
Old 04-30-06, 01:31 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Huh? 6.5K only with white smoke?
Did you ride it hard lately?
Does not sound good to me since the car is still too young to see any problem like this. I would ask for a diagnose check up in a reputable smog-only shop to check it out.

A smog-only shop should be able to find out anything about the exhaust system on any car, and should only cost you no more than 1 hour of labor charge. Find out their labor rate first before you ask for any kind of service.

Hopefully there is no one messing around with you by adding water or other solution in your fuel system.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-06, 02:46 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Huh? 6.5K only with white smoke?
Did you ride it hard lately?
Does not sound good to me since the car is still too young to see any problem like this. I would ask for a diagnose check up in a reputable smog-only shop to check it out.

A smog-only shop should be able to find out anything about the exhaust system on any car, and should only cost you no more than 1 hour of labor charge. Find out their labor rate first before you ask for any kind of service.

Hopefully there is no one messing around with you by adding water or other solution in your fuel system.

Good luck!
Oh my bad, I meant to say like clear smokes rather than like white smokes.
Old 04-30-06, 06:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by loftus112
Oh my bad, I meant to say like clear smokes rather than like white smokes.
Are you talking about a small amount of water vapor in the exhaust that you can see for the first few minutes after starting the engine that goes away once the catalytic converters light off? That vapor, which is particularly noticable in colder temperatures, is completely normal.

If you are talking about persistant smoke even after the car is fully warmed up, that would be cause for concern, and worth a trip to the dealer.
Old 04-30-06, 07:04 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Are you talking about a small amount of water vapor in the exhaust that you can see for the first few minutes after starting the engine that goes away once the catalytic converters light off? That vapor, which is particularly noticable in colder temperatures, is completely normal.

If you are talking about persistant smoke even after the car is fully warmed up, that would be cause for concern, and worth a trip to the dealer.
I guess its the vapor but it happens long after the engine has started sometimes, not all the time, and like I said its really not that cold in so cal right now. If its the winter temp then I would understand.
Old 04-30-06, 12:19 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loftus112
I guess its the vapor but it happens long after the engine has started sometimes, not all the time, and like I said its really not that cold in so cal right now. If its the winter temp then I would understand.

You know what... I noticed that on friday on my NEW car... about 150 miles only... I drove it home from work that was after a 50 min drive I shut it down and after 10 mins startted it up again to move the car and I noticed the clear smoke like you said... it didnt smell or anything and it wasnt that cold... so dont know what to say...
Old 04-30-06, 02:42 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
You know what... I noticed that on friday on my NEW car... about 150 miles only... I drove it home from work that was after a 50 min drive I shut it down and after 10 mins startted it up again to move the car and I noticed the clear smoke like you said... it didnt smell or anything and it wasnt that cold... so dont know what to say...
Its normal for new cars especially only 150 miles because you're breaking in the car and wearing things out. But mines already have 6500+.
Old 09-27-10, 04:43 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed this on my 2010, and it does go away after the car is warmed up.

Since this thread is quite old, I'm curious how you guys that posted 4 years ago made out -- did you ever have any real issues or did it just turn out to be warm-up condensation?