Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Touring | GS400 | Videos!

Old 05-03-06, 05:41 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the upgrade and thanks for sharing. I might look into the Tanabe if I upgrade from my L-Tuned.
Old 05-03-06, 10:05 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I just checked Carson Toyota website and the application for this exhaust says GS300 and GS430.
Did you order the GS300 app or GS430 app, or was GS400 overlooked on the website?
Old 05-03-06, 10:14 AM
csq860
Pole Position

The GS430 model is the one used on the GS400. When I got mine the box actually says it's for the GS430 even though I ordered one for my GS400, I thought it was a mistake but Steve Ganz confirmed that the GS430 model fits all GS4's up to '05.
Old 05-03-06, 10:54 AM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This exhaust applies for all models of the second generation GS. It is a very refined, more mature catback exhaust.

Thank you for sharing those sound clips! The hardware we used (digital camera) to create our sound clips has a very hard time picking up low frequency bass-type tones, and those videos captured them rather nicely.
Old 05-05-06, 12:03 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4GainR, I am also looking at getting the Tanabe, and I also have the SRT intake.

I notice though that the exhaust you have doesn't match the Tanabe promo picture's exhaust. Are those two different types of GS exhausts, or just different tips?

I also want a complimentary exhaust to the Intake...but not too loud, especially at start-up or low speeds. Is there any kind of a drone at certain RPMs?
Old 05-05-06, 12:49 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Sounds mean!
Old 05-07-06, 10:38 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tanabe USA
Thank you for sharing those sound clips! The hardware we used (digital camera) to create our sound clips has a very hard time picking up low frequency bass-type tones, and those videos captured them rather nicely.
Thanks! Your company makes an awesome product. I say to myself every day, "damn, this exahust sounds great!". I love it. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-07-06, 10:43 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I notice though that the exhaust you have doesn't match the Tanabe promo picture's exhaust. Are those two different types of GS exhausts, or just different tips?
I have exactly what the exhaust comes with. Since mine was first generation there might have been some slight retooling, but I don't see the difference you mention. I think how you see it on my car is how it would look on your car. I'd ask Tanabe about that one.

I also want a complimentary exhaust to the Intake...but not too loud, especially at start-up or low speeds. Is there any kind of a drone at certain RPMs?
This exhaust is subtle. I notice it the most cruising around at low speeds around the neighborhood - like 10mph to 20mph. Above 30mph or so I hardly notice it (with windows up and sunroof closed) until I punch it and she lets everyone no she's not messing around.

I'll try and shoot a cruising video today to give you a sense of how it sounds inside.
Old 05-07-06, 06:21 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Werd

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR
I'll try and shoot a cruising video today to give you a sense of how it sounds inside.
Now we're talking!! Something constant around 70-75, and some passing. Maybe drop the hammer once or twice.
Old 05-07-06, 07:46 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

I have exactly what the exhaust comes with. Since mine was first generation there might have been some slight retooling, but I don't see the difference you mention. I think how you see it on my car is how it would look on your car. I'd ask Tanabe about that one.

This exhaust is subtle. I notice it the most cruising around at low speeds around the neighborhood - like 10mph to 20mph. Above 30mph or so I hardly notice it (with windows up and sunroof closed) until I punch it and she lets everyone no she's not messing around.
You have a different exhaust than the one you posted from Tanabe's website. You have the Hyper Medallion, you posted the Touring Medallion from Tanabe (the newer, quieter exhaust). The Hyper looks more agressive, with the bigger tips. That's the one I want. I hope to order that one soon.
Old 05-08-06, 10:47 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

You have a different exhaust than the one you posted from Tanabe's website. You have the Hyper Medallion, you posted the Touring Medallion from Tanabe (the newer, quieter exhaust). The Hyper looks more agressive, with the bigger tips. That's the one I want. I hope to order that one soon.
Going to beg to differ on this one. Sorry, Charlie. This is not the Hyper Medalion. It is the Medalion Touring. When I originally spoke with Todd at TM Engineering and asked him about the Hyper (which is what I wanted originally), he suggested that I go with the Touring since it seemed to fit more of the profile of how I wanted the car to sound. So that is what I purchased and had put on. I've looked at my car and the photos of the demo car (Medalion Touring) on the page that I posted and they look one in the same to me.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two:

I'll wash the car today and clean the inside of my tips so you can see the tapering in.

On another note, I think the guy from Tanabe USA would have said something if I was falsely promoting his products. I'm not trying to be whatever, but I bought what I bought.

Old 05-08-06, 06:34 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Medalion Touring also has a smaller canister design. While the differences are not wholly noticable from a distance, they do exist for those who are very particular about tip design, sound output differences and weight. They are much more noticeable close up.

The big difference between Medalion Touring and the Hyper is that the Medalion Touring has an angle cut, dual wall "thicker" tip that has a bevelled appearance when the tips are maintained and kept clean. (We always recommend maintaining and cleaning your exhaust periodically to maintain it's luster.)

The older Super Medalion Hyper has a straight cut tip with a thinner wall thickness. It has always been an extremely popular system for the GS for us, but the design of the Touring has some extra refinements in the design that some have said make it more appealing. Suffice to say, both system are available through CL vendors.

4GrainR, we're happy you like the system-- how is the cabin sound while driving?

KevinGS - The tip diameters are actually the same size on the two systems, but since the Touring has a dual wall, thicker tip, it 'appears' smaller. The diameter on both is 115mm.
Old 05-08-06, 07:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

I'll wash the car today and clean the inside of my tips so you can see the tapering in.

On another note, I think the guy from Tanabe USA would have said something if I was falsely promoting his products. I'm not trying to be whatever, but I bought what I bought.
Man, go clean those tips! I can't even see the tapering in effect since they're dirty. LOL

Sorry, but thanks for the clarification. I think I like the non-tapered look better.

I'll ask Tanabe the difference in sound between the two.
Old 05-08-06, 08:01 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

The Medalion Touring also has a smaller canister design. While the differences are not wholly noticable from a distance, they do exist for those who are very particular about tip design, sound output differences and weight. They are much more noticeable close up.

The big difference between Medalion Touring and the Hyper is that the Medalion Touring has an angle cut, dual wall "thicker" tip that has a bevelled appearance when the tips are maintained and kept clean. (We always recommend maintaining and cleaning your exhaust periodically to maintain it's luster.)

The older Super Medalion Hyper has a straight cut tip with a thinner wall thickness. It has always been an extremely popular system for the GS for us, but the design of the Touring has some extra refinements in the design that some have said make it more appealing. Suffice to say, both system are available through CL vendors.

4GrainR, we're happy you like the system-- how is the cabin sound while driving?

KevinGS - The tip diameters are actually the same size on the two systems, but since the Touring has a dual wall, thicker tip, it 'appears' smaller. The diameter on both is 115mm.
OK, Tanabe...I think I like the flat-pipe out look best. How much louder is the SMH than the Medallion? Since the Medallion is "refined", how unrefined is the SMH? Is it all rough and loud? I already have an intake, so obviously I can tolerate some level of noise...at part-throttle when cruising, the exhaust will just compliment the intake, I hope. I don't care how loud it is at WOT, I only care about cruising at low rpms, and at start-up. Basically, I want to be able to sneak out at night.

Also, is it me, or is the actual muffler bigger on the SMH as well? It's hard to tell from the angles of the pictures on the website. Pure looks, I love the SMH, I have to say. The larger-looking muffler and the flat pipe out does it for me.

I'll call some vendors for availability.

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-08-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 03:17 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah this is definitely one of the quietest exhaust on these cars as far as when you are inside the car. HKS being one of the loudest, just to gauge it.

The worst is a Greddy exhaust on a GS300..don't do it!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Touring | GS400 | Videos!