Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Went to the track last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 05:05 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same swap in my car a while back and I was having the same problem with the tach. If I do recall correctly, it was however an easy fix. If you look at the igniter that comes with your motor, you will see that there is a spot with no wire. Instead of a wire coming out of it, you will see a rubber seal. Just pull out the rubber seal and run a wire from there to the tach input signal wire of your ECU. I don't remember the position of that wire but you should be able to find that info in the lexus wiring diagram, it matches that of the Aristo for this particular purpose. I would go outside and tell you the exact wire to connect to your tach output info but we have a hurricane down here in south Florida and it's not safe out there. What I know FOR A FACT is that there is no conversion equipment needed.

I don't know if you have the F-CON V PRO connected to your ECU already but if you don't, I would suggest you get a boost cut controller, it made wonders for my car. Another inexpensive upgrade is US specs supra turbos. The stock japanese turbos won't let you boost past 1 bar. In addition, to see any decent times, you will need a speed cut controller. WIthout one, you are limited to only 112MPH. With those very inexpensive mods plus a front mount intercooler and a boost controller (manual will do fine), you will see a DRASTIC improvement and you should be running very low 12's trapping 120+ MPH.

Just to give you an idea, right after my swap, with the stock jap specs CT12, stock boost, no boost controller, no boost cut controller, no speed cut controller, but intake and front mount, I ran a friend who owns a modified E46 M3. I thought it would have been pretty close as I felt the car was running strong but it wasn't. He destroyed me. It was not even bus lengths, more like train lengths. I never took the car to the track in that form. Two months later, I finally got my boost cut controller from TRL performance, upgraded to US specs turbos in true twin mode, installed my HKS EVC boost controller, installed my speed cut controller and ran him a second time. It wasn't pretty. Again, there were train lengths between the two cars but this time, The shoe was on the other foot. I Annihilated him. Nowadays, I don't even bother running M3s anymore. At any rate, invest another $1000 in the car and you will gain another 150 or more rwhp.

I would like to get my car into the 11s but I am worried about the tranny. Do you know how many horses the Aristo tranny can take? Is there a guaranteed way to make it stronger? And how many horses would it take then. I have everything ready to make a single turbo swap (manifold, gt40 turbo, FTC1, Blitz 850cc injectors) but I won't do the upgrade until I know for sure how much the tranny can take. What's the point of going single if I still have to stay under 500rwhp...
Old 08-25-05, 08:13 PM
Burton
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BadAssGS3T
I did the same swap in my car a while back and I was having the same problem with the tach. If I do recall correctly, it was however an easy fix. If you look at the igniter that comes with your motor, you will see that there is a spot with no wire. Instead of a wire coming out of it, you will see a rubber seal. Just pull out the rubber seal and run a wire from there to the tach input signal wire of your ECU. I don't remember the position of that wire but you should be able to find that info in the lexus wiring diagram, it matches that of the Aristo for this particular purpose. I would go outside and tell you the exact wire to connect to your tach output info but we have a hurricane down here in south Florida and it's not safe out there. What I know FOR A FACT is that there is no conversion equipment needed.

I don't know if you have the F-CON V PRO connected to your ECU already but if you don't, I would suggest you get a boost cut controller, it made wonders for my car. Another inexpensive upgrade is US specs supra turbos. The stock japanese turbos won't let you boost past 1 bar. In addition, to see any decent times, you will need a speed cut controller. WIthout one, you are limited to only 112MPH. With those very inexpensive mods plus a front mount intercooler and a boost controller (manual will do fine), you will see a DRASTIC improvement and you should be running very low 12's trapping 120+ MPH.

Just to give you an idea, right after my swap, with the stock jap specs CT12, stock boost, no boost controller, no boost cut controller, no speed cut controller, but intake and front mount, I ran a friend who owns a modified E46 M3. I thought it would have been pretty close as I felt the car was running strong but it wasn't. He destroyed me. It was not even bus lengths, more like train lengths. I never took the car to the track in that form. Two months later, I finally got my boost cut controller from TRL performance, upgraded to US specs turbos in true twin mode, installed my HKS EVC boost controller, installed my speed cut controller and ran him a second time. It wasn't pretty. Again, there were train lengths between the two cars but this time, The shoe was on the other foot. I Annihilated him. Nowadays, I don't even bother running M3s anymore. At any rate, invest another $1000 in the car and you will gain another 150 or more rwhp.

I would like to get my car into the 11s but I am worried about the tranny. Do you know how many horses the Aristo tranny can take? Is there a guaranteed way to make it stronger? And how many horses would it take then. I have everything ready to make a single turbo swap (manifold, gt40 turbo, FTC1, Blitz 850cc injectors) but I won't do the upgrade until I know for sure how much the tranny can take. What's the point of going single if I still have to stay under 500rwhp...

OK I forgot to put the boost cut controler on my list. I also have a Greedy speed cut defenser, but it dosn't work I need the HKS.

I plan on sending the trany to Boost Logic this winter. They say it will handle 800 WHP when they are done. I plan on getting a 3600-3800 stall converter as well.

I will check the Ignighter when I can. I have tach signal at the ECU because the AFC reads the RPMs just fine.

Ben
Old 08-26-05, 08:58 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Awesome swap, glad you are enjoying it, someday I hope to be enjoying f/i.
Let me ask you though, you mentioned a boost controller, did you raise the boost? If so how many pounds of boost are u running? Thanks bro.
Old 08-26-05, 12:22 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by Burton
OK I forgot to put the boost cut controler on my list. I also have a Greedy speed cut defenser, but it dosn't work I need the HKS.

I plan on sending the trany to Boost Logic this winter. They say it will handle 800 WHP when they are done. I plan on getting a 3600-3800 stall converter as well.
Ben
For the speed cut controller, you need to get the HKSspeed limit defenser type 2. The type 1 is cheaper but it will not work with our cars. As for the boost cut controller, the best unit is the one by TRL performance. Unlike the units from HKS and greddy that completely eliminate the boost cut protection that our engines are equipped with, the TRL unit allows you to RAISE the factory limit and would let it kick if something was to go wrong and your car was overboosting. Of course, it also gives you the option to completely remove the protection just like the HKS and Greddy units but you would want to do that only if you had upgraded to single turbo and were pushing past 22 lbs of boost.

For the tranny, I guess I will have to send mine to boost logic as well. I was considering doing a TH400 swap but gave up on the idea.

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Let me ask you though, you mentioned a boost controller, did you raise the boost? If so how many pounds of boost are u running?
Yes, stock boost will yield very low numbers specially with the stock Japanese twins. For daily driving I have my boost controller set at 18lbs and when I race or go to the track I push it all the way to 22lbs. I am using a HKS EVC pro to control the boost in my car and it has a handy scramble boost button which allows you to raise the boost at the push of a button should you unexpectedly needed to lay down the law on a Viper thinking he's king of the highway.
Old 08-26-05, 09:41 PM
Burton
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Awesome swap, glad you are enjoying it, someday I hope to be enjoying f/i.
Let me ask you though, you mentioned a boost controller, did you raise the boost? If so how many pounds of boost are u running? Thanks bro.

I was runing 1.5 bar on race gas, but I think that was just a spike.

Ben
Old 09-02-05, 10:14 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm freakin jealous of you guys FI'ing your GS300's.

Here I am with the 400 and I can't go that fast, and it seems like it would be harder to do on the V8 anyway, what with the hassle of finding a suitable setup and all.

Cheers to you guys making good power on the 6 cyl.!!!!