Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I went to my local supra shop.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 09:09 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motorheaddown drop me some info on that dash set up waiting on my new set up to get in and do some work, going to need some bigger injectors for my new toys the 85lbr are now to small : .

Last edited by Dew23; 09-26-03 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 02:07 PM
racing fan
Driver

ITs upgraded similarly to our twin turbo automatic.... If you go on supraforums and search you will see alot of feedback on t supra tt auto that we build. We have taht currently in kean ****'s surpa which runs high 9s, puts down about 800rwhp and its been on the same tranny for te past 25k miles. We opened up teh oil pan a few weeks ago when we swapped converters and it looked like new.
Old 09-26-03, 02:30 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
so you think you could swap in an AEM and a single turbo kit, etc, etc, etc for the same price of a GTE swap?

damn.... pte66, good for what? 600rwhp or so?

vs 320hp

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
After you do the swap I doubt you would have 320 hp. You would most likely go streight to down pipe and get a fmic. Swap itself is cheaper than turbo kit. I'm getting JDM Supra TT front clip for 4500 bucks and it comes with 6 speed manual transmission. The labor in doing the swap matters a while lot I would say.

Sound Performance would charge around 2000 bucks for the engine only swap. On the other hand they would also charge 2000 bucks for installing a turbo kit.

Personally I hate the intake mainfold on the GE motor and feel like by getting GTE motor I am going futher without performing so much more labor.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 09-26-03 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 02:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Swap itself is cheaper than turbo kit. I'm getting JDM Supra TT front clip for 4500 bucks
I spent a hair over $3k on my kit...
now you come back when you got a single turbo, intercooler piping, FMIC, electronics, etc, etc, etc and tell me that its cheaper...

if i put $1500 more into my car (aka headgasket, SP63 turbo)... you think i wont make more power than a jdm 2jz-gte? (which makes less power than the usdm btw)

not to mention all the nice goodies mentioned so far

also, i wouldn't pay someone $2000 to puta turbokit in my car... jeez its not that hard... i could do it in one day if we started in the morning... it'd be a piece of cake... i cant imagine them charging $2000 to put in a manifold and some piping.... (maybe $500 for drilling the oil send and return stuff as some people dont have the tools for that)

but a $4500 turbo kit you get from SP or Toyomoto is going to make more power than a $4500 front clip from a JDM Supra/Soarer

Last edited by Bean; 09-26-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 11:12 PM
racing fan
Driver

IMO when you get a turbo kit for 5k.... its teh same as putting an additional 4k into the gte you just swapped into your sc....In the long run you will spend alot more for the gte swap...
Old 10-01-03, 08:30 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Angel
motorheaddown, link me up to those guages for the AEM ???
O.k... Sorry (again) for the delay. Kevin returned my e-mail.

Check out http://www.gauge-tech.com/. The site is a little crude but the digital dash isn't.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-01-03 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-01-03, 10:01 PM
racing fan
Driver

definetly nice.... Where did you mount yours scott? I can't picture a nice place for it in the sc... steering wheel?

Also... are there any provisions for viewing it at night?
Old 10-02-03, 05:24 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by racing fan
definetly nice.... Where did you mount yours scott? ...
I haven't mounted it yet because I'm still tuning with a laptop, and my W/B has a display. However, the case the Kevin has for the LCD can be removed, and the case-less display will fit perfectly where the radio is with plenty of room for an aftermarket radio/CD player. That's my plan.

-scott
Old 10-02-03, 07:51 AM
racing fan
Driver

Thats a pretty good diea... I do'nt want to go to an aftermarket stereo though... I wonder how much of the tack/speedo it'l block wihtout the case...
Old 10-02-03, 09:08 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Bean
I spent a hair over $3k on my kit...
now you come back when you got a single turbo, intercooler piping, FMIC, electronics, etc, etc, etc and tell me that its cheaper...

if i put $1500 more into my car (aka headgasket, SP63 turbo)... you think i wont make more power than a jdm 2jz-gte? (which makes less power than the usdm btw)

not to mention all the nice goodies mentioned so far

also, i wouldn't pay someone $2000 to puta turbokit in my car... jeez its not that hard... i could do it in one day if we started in the morning... it'd be a piece of cake... i cant imagine them charging $2000 to put in a manifold and some piping.... (maybe $500 for drilling the oil send and return stuff as some people dont have the tools for that)

but a $4500 turbo kit you get from SP or Toyomoto is going to make more power than a $4500 front clip from a JDM Supra/Soarer
You forget many major components. I am getting 6-speed transmission (which you have to agree can handle more power than your current one), distributor-less engine, GTE pistons (which some get too, no across-the-engine intake mainfold, low miles (35,000 vs 138,000 on stock motor), and finally no need for head gasket replacement.

I could spend a few months looking for a US-spec but I just decided it's not worth it; plus the J-spec doesn't come with MAF, another one less problem. I strongly belive my setup will be more solid than yours and at about a simmilar price; We're both will be running about the same horsepower.

While I will be reaching power limits of my stock twins, you'll be reaching power limits of your transmission.

I listened to you about the progress of your kit and how much it costs for a long time. I highly belive I can pull it off with the same price (including doing automatic to manual swap). You are still not finished with your setup so don't say you've spent $3000 on a turbo kit while it's not complete.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-02-03 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-02-03, 02:21 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, i'd be amazed if you could do anything cheaper than Bean can .
Old 10-02-03, 02:35 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Chris, i'd be amazed if you could do anything cheaper than Bean can .
Minus single turbo of course. I didn't say cheaper, I said in the same neighboorhood, and I most likely won't be using parts from Home Depo. I got connections into the Supra world.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-02-03 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 06:46 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

HEY I GOT AN IDEA!!!! why dont we all have a contest to see who can do a swap or turbo kit the cheapest!! (just playing around guys)

this thread has gone way off topic. Both have their advantages and disadvantages... it all depends on the person and what they think is better.

As for me, i personally think the GE motor is good enough for me. I dont feel a reason to get rid of it, it can handle the amount of power i want from it.

My .02$

Kevin
Old 10-18-09, 10:50 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexcoupe
HEY I GOT AN IDEA!!!! why dont we all have a contest to see who can do a swap or turbo kit the cheapest!! (just playing around guys)

this thread has gone way off topic. Both have their advantages and disadvantages... it all depends on the person and what they think is better.

As for me, i personally think the GE motor is good enough for me. I dont feel a reason to get rid of it, it can handle the amount of power i want from it.

My .02$

Kevin
lexcoupe, you have more info on your setup ?? I am looking into an xs-power kit for my 2JZ-GE...