Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headlights fogged up

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 02:00 PM
Debs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights fogged up

Does anyone have a recommendation for headlights that have fogged up? Do I need to take the cover off? Thanks!

Last edited by Debs; 06-14-19 at 02:24 PM. Reason: delete this
Old 07-02-19, 10:25 PM
Moffett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Fogged

Originally Posted by Debs
Does anyone have a recommendation for headlights that have fogged up? Do I need to take the cover off? Thanks!
I just had the same issue with my headlights and I took it to an auto body shop to get fixed. They told me that a lot of places just wet sand the headlights but the fog usually comes back if you just wet sand them. They wet sand the headlights and then clear coat over them so the foggy look doesn’t return like it would if you just wet sanded it. The headlight restore kits that you can buy at stores aren’t an actual fix it just covers it up for awhile giving it the appearance of being clearer but you have to keep reapplying it over and over again and it doesn’t go away. The price per headlight to have it wet sanded and clear coated was $150 for the shop I went to and the headlights really look brand new. I hope this helps or answers your question
Old 07-03-19, 07:58 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

just wet sand with 400,600,1000,1500, and 2000 grit sandpapers, wipe off with acetone and clear coat with UV resistant gloss clear. Rustoleum 2X clear gloss works great. make sure you do very light coats because painting on plastic the paint will tend to crack and make spider webs all over it.
Old 07-04-19, 10:32 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Get one of the 3M headlight restorer kits with the wipe-on clearcoat. Use a variable speed drill that is easy for you to control so as not to spin the cutting discs too fast. It should cure the issue and hold up for as long as the multiple clearcoat layers last. I did this myself recently and the results were very good.