Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1996 Lexus SC300 260-300 RWHP Goal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 07:15 PM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 Lexus SC300 260-300 RWHP Goal

Dear All,

I have recently purchased a 1996 Lexus sc300 B/B and am looking to get it in the 260-300 rwhp range. I have also come into contact with a GT35 T4 turbo kit from Fastwayracer (Link Below) and am wondering what PSI I would need to run to get to my goal. If this kit is no good I would love to hear your suggestions. I also have only very basic tools and would have to go elsewhere if a lot of welding is involved (praying that there isn't). I would love to keep this as cheap and reliable as possible. I have also heard about the CX Racing kit that is a complete bolt on. Although the CX Racing kit is a complete bolt-on I noticed that it is a total of $600 more than the Fastwayracer kit and there are not many reviews about the Fastwayracer one. Keep in mind that my car is an auto and has 197,250 miles on it but I have run a compression check and everything is still all good. I would also like to keep the stock ECU if possible and would be willing to upgrade to 440cc injectors. I plan on getting an ECU way later in the future as I am still in high school and have barely secured a job! I am looking for something that I can start off with for now to get me going and possibly do some more tinkering with down the road. I have heard claims that people are getting 300 rwhp on stock internals, tranny, and ECU and am hoping I can get to about the same with my sc. I really want to do this right the first time around so that I would be able to get a stronger connection with my car and learn more about mechanics along the way. Best wishes to all and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

-RDAK96
Link to Kit: https://fastwayracer.myshopify.com/p...5-t4-turbo-kit

Last edited by RDAK96; 04-21-19 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 08:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

RDAK96,

With strong, even compression on all cylinders your engine block is good for 300whp easily. You will want to get a 2JZGTE Non-VVT-i head gasket and ARP head bolts (and get a 100 ft-lbs rated calibrated torque wrench for this-- such as a CDI 1002MFRMH. For the ARP head bolts you will need a 1/2 inch 12-point thin-wall socket. And you MUST follow the engine TSRM to the letter for the correct way to torque down those head bolts in sequence... added with ARP's recommendations).

For the injectors and ECU you can use a JDM 2JZGTE Non-VVT-i ECU and 2JZGTE 440cc fuel injectors following the instructions in Ali SC3's TT ECU Mod thread combined with a distributor "delete" (really a flat cap over it so you can keep using its main cam sensor signal for the ECU).

Further understanding of how any electrical engine harness wiring functions work regarding any additional needed changes can be learned from Gerrb's 2JZGTE swap harness made easy thread. Even if you will not be swapping in a GTE wiring harness the electrical fundamentals of the SC300's electrical system are covered all throughout his thread down to pinout descriptions and electrical wiring diagrams from Toyota.

And you'll need a Supra TT USDM Denso fuel pump (or whatever other high flow pump you wish to use but the TT Denso pump is rock solid) as well and a 10ga wire with a 20A fuse direct from your battery power connection run to the stock SC300 fuel pump ECU with a 30/40A relay hooked up to trigger on and off from that stock fuel pump ECU's signals. That has been written up many times. I covered a writeup for it in my build thread.

You've also got to tap the stock undrilled oil pan drain area (it is cast that way from the factory) for mounting studs and for the main oil drain flow hole and install an aftermarket 2JZ oil pan drain adapter end (such as from Driftmotion). This can be challenging with the engine in the car because you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to get metal shavings into the oil pan when you drill. It is much better to pull the engine and mount it on a Harbor Freight V-stand for ALL of the work, remove the oil pan, clean it and drill it for the oil drain function and then reinstall it onto the engine

Your stock SC300 A340E 4-speed automatic transmission will need to be changed out or upgraded. If you can locate a 2JZGTE or 1JZGTE spec version of the A340E 4-speed it will be much stronger stock and will wire up with the JDM 2JZGTE Non-VVT-i ECU.

You will also need a Supra TT stock radiator or aftermarket Supra TT radiator. A Mishimoto or Koyo. And an auxiliary transmission oil cooler to go with it. An auxiliary electric A/C condenser fan with an aftermarket fan controller (Mishimoto sells a good one for instance) can also help with your climate control on hot days.

I'm not sure of the reputation of CX racing products. I would do some more research into your various turbocharger and exhaust manifold options available. I am sure there are some off the shelf combinations that are able to be paired with off the shelf downpipes that will hook into your stock exhaust and thus work with an off the shelf catback for SC's.

You will also definitely want to upgrade to larger 17" wheels with enough clearance for 1995-2000 Lexus LS400 front brake calipers and rotors which represent a night and day difference in safety and stopping power over the factory original front brakes. This in itself is a useful upgrade regardless of whether you have a turbocharged engine or not.

You're definitely going to need to acquire more tools and more mechanical knowhow along the way. It's still not going to be a cheap conversion to do even for 300whp with you learning to do the work yourself. But this is how it goes with all ambitious automotive projects.

However even doing all of this in CA you will run into legal issues since it's all a non-factory setup. Your best bet is to have a full two years or almost two years to go before your next smog test and then figure out what you want to do or can do to pass smog later (such as by installing a totally stock engine system in place of this one). I don't want to discourage anyone's desire to learn about their car and try a project build but in California it's made very tough on anyone wishing to use any deviation from a non-standard factory original engine configuration in a 1976+ vehicle. Some people find a way to deal with that for their modified cars but even if they do it's never a guaranteed thing.

Honestly with you being in high school still and looking into your first job... please do not take this the wrong way because I have been there myself at the same time in my life wanting a more powerful engine in my car... I would focus on all the other aspects of the SC and leave the engine alone. Suspension, brakes, tires, differential (an LSD if you want to get one), new steering rack bushings, new front lower control arms, a subtle plug and play 4200K HID upgrade for your factory dim headlights, the common AUX-IN jack mod for the stock stereo, and keeping up with all the standard severe schedule maintenance on just the stock 2JZ-GE engine.

Or, if it's your cup of tea, a 5-speed manual conversion with a matching 1996 5-speed CA-spec ECU. Even without a turbo and just the stock 225hp the SC can still be turned into an incredibly fun driving machine. For eight years I kept my SC's stock engine unmodified while I modified all those other aspects of the car around it. The stock car compared to what it became even without a turbo was completely different. It wasn't fast but it was quick and remained tremendously fun to drive in any situation, at any place, any time.

I am not trying to dissuade you if you are determined. An SC300 2JZ NA-T build project is an excellent platform to dig into modified car knowledge and skill with. But it's also not a walk in the part for a beginner on a tight budget. I also just wanted to inform you of the risks you'll be up against with smog. There is a lot you will learn as you go just from owning your SC300, maintaining it and doing just basic suspension, braking, wheel, tire and other core modifications and reconditioning.

All that being said for all manner of 2JZ (and 1JZ) tuning ideas and advice we have a wealth of it here in posts and in collective knowledge from many Clublexus SC members who have gone down those roads.

Wishing you luck whatever you decide, RDAK96!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-23-19 at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kingblack (07-14-19)
Old 04-22-19, 08:48 PM
RDAK96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear KahnBB6,
Thank you for all of the information given. I know that that probably took quite a while to write that up and I thank you for all of the amazing info that you have put it. This has really helped me evaluate my options and look forward to the future years of ownership of my SC! I hope you have had a great Easter and I thank you again for the info.

Thanks!
RDAK96
Old 04-23-19, 08:08 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Kahn at it again! Nobody here could have put it any better.
Old 04-23-19, 08:41 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by RDAK96
Dear KahnBB6,
Thank you for all of the information given. I know that that probably took quite a while to write that up and I thank you for all of the amazing info that you have put it. This has really helped me evaluate my options and look forward to the future years of ownership of my SC! I hope you have had a great Easter and I thank you again for the info.

Thanks!
RDAK96
You're welcome! The prospect of what you want to do (and where you are wanting to do it) really does involve all of the above in my post so if it helps you to better figure out your options and what you want to do I'm more than happy you're that much closer to having a handle on it The truth is that naturally aspirated tuning efforts are not really worth your time more than good maintenance of the stock engine are and monitoring its oil level periodically. The next (big) step up is of course what you are wanting to do with an NA-T 2JZ engine build which in your case presents those many factors.

Which is why I say that great ownership experience and fun in an SC as a driver's car is not only about a turbo engine. Yes, it is desirable and yes it does change the character of the car but so does going over the entire machine to set it up well as the driver's GT car that it is before even modifying the engine. On a strict budget while you're in school and with strict smog to deal with also it is a consideration. It's still a bulletproof 2JZ straight six engine whether it's got a turbo or not.

Add to that, I am not up on the current costs of doing it these days but just converting your car to manual with the stock engine will be a big change to your car. You'd do this with a 92-94 SC300, 95-97 SC300 or 93.5-97 Supra Non-turbo W58 5-speed transmission with a matching 1996 SC300 5-speed CA-Spec ECU (I assume your SC has California Emissions and it will say whether or not on a label under the hood lip). That setup if done correctly will even be 100% smog legal in CA. The W58's with the steel center sandwich plate from the SC300 or Supra MKIV are the two candidates you would want.

You can also do it with an R154, AR5 or CD009 (the least plug and play of the three) which are all much stronger than the W58 and capable of reliable turbo duty but this is a more expensive transmission option than the W58. The pedal conversion, hydraulics, console bezel and 5-speed ECU (for the stock 2JZ-GE) would be the same for all though.

This is a mostly complete list of all the ECU part numbers used for each spec of the SC300/400. Also listed are some of them from the Supra and some of the GTE engines. You would have to find the correct ECU for your car's application on the used market:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

Again at the end of the day I do not want to discourage an ambitious engine build project. Just giving you the comprehensive factual Cliffs Notes. Especially considering you're in CA. Each of the points discussed will require you to search for the specific threads and DIY writeups that cover them all in far greater detail.

Thank you for the holiday wishes and hope you had a good Easter as well!

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Kahn at it again! Nobody here could have put it any better.
Haha, I am sure someone could have Rudy, lol. I always defer to our longtime members with far greater experience and skill.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-23-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 06:14 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Kahn I think everyone here is appreciative of the time and thought you put into your posts!

To the OP - the longer you keep that car and the more you drive it the more you will fall in love. Enjoy it my friend!
Old 04-24-19, 11:10 PM
KahnBB6

I appreciate it Rudy!

RDAK96, here are two good threads to look at on the subject of NA-T engine builds. There's more to it than meets the eye!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-the-guru.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-ecu-mod.html

This one gets heavy into electrical, on how to adapt 2JZGTE harnesses IF you are doing a 2JZGTE swap. FYI, for any GTE engine type you would be converting to there are specific ECU pinouts both for the SC300 and for the donor engine's ECU and harness.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...made-easy.html

Adding a Supra TT Denso fuel pump:

Siphoning the gas tank if you haven't driven the tank down to 1/4 (don't run it empty though):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10249632

Installing the Supra TT Denso fuel pump into the gas tank:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10256106

How to add the 10ga wire direct from the battery to a relay and hook that into your stock fuel pump ECU:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10256118

Depending on what you decide to do these threads may or may not help you. And they will not help you with CA smog. There are only two ways to do a turbo SC in California legally and neither are cheap or walks in the park unfortunately. Now actually BUILDING an NA-T or JDM GTE swapped SC300... that's where those threads will help you.
Old 04-24-19, 11:11 PM
KahnBB6

And here are some fundamental links for the SC suspension and brakes:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ls400-bbk.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...how-to-do.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...er-thread.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-sc-300-a.html
The following users liked this post:
SCJim (05-19-19)