Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Throwing code 13

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 06:31 PM
ABOUSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Throwing code 13

decided to do a tune up the other day. changed out the plugs wires cap rotor. got everything back together and car ran fine. let her idle for 4 min or so and then pulled her in to the lift to fix an exhaust leak. once finished with the exhaust leak. pulled out and she started missing.
I went back in and checked everything we changed out. The plug wires all have a spark and the firing order is correct. I also checked the timing. Its registering at 9, and from what I read the timing should be between 8-12. So a reading of 9 while it is missing, tells me it isn’t the timing. So these would have been the obvious issues…and clearly it is not.
So here’s the head scratcher…I went and disconnected the passenger side cam sensor and the car seemed to run fine (as if it wasn’t missing) for a short moment and then returned to sounding like it was missing. I reconnected the sensor and still running rough. So I am pretty sure I have a bad cam sensor at this point. I don’t know if this is a safe assumption or it can be something else…? i haven't pulled covers off to check cam timing or the resistance on the cam sensors yet. but the consensus is that the sensors very rarely go bad. i am not too sure what the issue is at this point.

Old 07-06-18, 04:29 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Title says "throwing code 13" but you don't mention it in the body. Is it indeed throwing the 13 code? I would start by putting the old distributor cap back on just to see if there might be an issue with it. If not, do you think a plug might have gotten cracked while installing? Just the obvious stuff based on what you changed being the most likely cause.
Old 07-06-18, 05:06 AM
ABOUSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is still throwing the code. Unfortunately I did not keep the old distributor. I have traced all the work I did previously and verified the order is right. My next move is to check the ohms on cam sensor and cam gear timing.