Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking for exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 08:26 AM
gabesc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for exhaust advice

Hi, I’ve been look to do some exhaust work on my SC. I looked on the sticky thread but I didn’t find advice on what I’m looking to do. What I’m looking for is where to get a dual exhaust system... the issue is that to become dual exhaust I’ll need to mess with the cats. The problem is that the exhaust shops around where I live won’t touch the cats because it’s against the law for them to remove them or change their location, etc. so I’m sort of stuck. As a side note, my car is old enough to where it doesn’t need to pass emissions, so emissions testing isn’t an issue. I’ve looked online for dual exhaust systems but can’t seem to find any, what do I do? Is there a good online company that’ll do it? I don’t mind bolting in the exhaust myself. : / sorry if this post is confusing

Note: by dual exhaust I mean two sets of piping that run from the head all the way down to the tips w/o being connected to each other. I wanted to put an H or X pipe in too

Also: will I lose exhaust scavenging if I switch to dual exhaust?
Thanks for your time
Old 05-09-18, 09:39 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to be discouraging, but if your username is any indication of your car...doing a true dual exhaust will be for nothing more than just an exercise in stating you have a true dual exhaust on a SC300 and spending a lot of money. Any reason why you feel a full dual exhaust is better than a single that leads to two mufflers? On an sc3, the work would have to be custom done from the upper cast-iron exhaust manifolds back and even then it would be self defeating as the cast pieces would be a restriction. Remember, even the sc400 takes the manifolds from both heads and merges them into one pipe then splits them back to two by the rear axle.

Now if you have an sc400, you could have one built and it might give you some bump in power, but not enough IMO to make it worth the cost.

Either route you would take (for the 300 or 400), you will still need to route the exhaust down the center of the car where the original pipe runs. Otherwise, you will lose a lot of ground clearance and have some serious issues routing the pipes....even using the oval piping you can find places.
Old 05-09-18, 09:46 AM
gabesc300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Not to be discouraging, but if your username is any indication of your car...doing a true dual exhaust will be for nothing more than just an exercise in stating you have a true dual exhaust on a SC300 and spending a lot of money. Any reason why you feel a full dual exhaust is better than a single that leads to two mufflers? On an sc3, the work would have to be custom done from the upper cast-iron exhaust manifolds back and even then it would be self defeating as the cast pieces would be a restriction. Remember, even the sc400 takes the manifolds from both heads and merges them into one pipe then splits them back to two by the rear axle.

Now if you have an sc400, you could have one built and it might give you some bump in power, but not enough IMO to make it worth the cost.

Either route you would take (for the 300 or 400), you will still need to route the exhaust down the center of the car where the original pipe runs. Otherwise, you will lose a lot of ground clearance and have some serious issues routing the pipes....even using the oval piping you can find places.
I see. That’s that I was looking for, thanks. I think I’ll just stick with the OE setup then. What do I do about the cats though?
Old 05-09-18, 09:54 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

No problem. I say just leave them. Again, unless yours are dead/dying or you're adding a turbo, nitrous, etc, there really isn't a reason to remove them. Most OE fitment aftermarket exhausts will bolt up after the cats anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully I answered your question correctly.

oh and removing the cats won't net you any extra power if your motor is running only an exhaust and intake. Some will disagree and say it totally makes power, but in reality you may gain up to 3 hp which you will not feel nor is it worth the smell of gas and C-O being emitted.
Old 05-09-18, 09:57 AM
gabesc300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
No problem. I say just leave them. Again, unless yours are dead/dying or you're adding a turbo, nitrous, etc, there really isn't a reason to remove them. Most OE fitment aftermarket exhausts will bolt up after the cats anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully I answered your question correctly.

oh and removing the cats won't net you any extra power if your motor is running only an exhaust and intake. Some will disagree and say it totally makes power, but in reality you may gain up to 3 hp which you will not feel nor is it worth the smell of gas and C-O being emitted.
I see. That makes sense. I’m planning on doing a turbo conversion some time in the future. Why would I remove the cats for that? For more exhaust flow?
Old 05-09-18, 10:05 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Correct, they will be a big restriction in terms of piping diameter along with they are naturally restrictive due to how they are constructed and work. That, and the factory cats wont fit up with any downpipes that I've ever seen for sale are the most common reasons without getting into all the other options and the matter of 2jzgte swapping vs just doing a single turbo bolt-on.