Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVt-i or bad ECU? Dreaded random rough idle and engine stalls.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 01:49 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P1349 VVt-i or bad ECU? Dreaded random rough idle and engine stalls.

So its has come to this. I have owned my newest SC for almost 2 years now and it is a 99. The car has been a beast and taken a beating as a daily and sat for a couple months with never having any issues or CEL. the other day as i back out of my driveway and head down the road when i accelerated i felt a small kick and when i decided to slow down and come to a stop the car began to misfire like crazy. And continued to do so, no CEL. i drove the vehicle for 20 minutes and got a code p01349 which after a quick searched showed me it was the VVT-i Oil solenoid and or filter. i just today have replaced both after having my car die on me pulling in to work this morning however this morning it died at a complete stop and when i tried to crank her up again for the first time ever she did not she would just crank but not turn over. I had a similar issue in a 96 and was never able to fix it. I really want to do right by this car and get her purring like perfect. Below i have some pics of the solenoid i replaced and took note that both times i opened the connectors they had some oil in them. I also decided to properly mount and fix my fan shroud so i removed it after. Just yesterday i scanned the car at i had only three stored codes, P0100 ( MAf circuit?) , P0110 ( Intake temp sensor circuit) and P1349 VVt system bank 1. however after getting the car home safely and scanning it for codes before placing the new sensor in it had NO STORED CODES. So i feel as if i have a ghost issue of stalling out. I am beginning to think that my issue may either be a bad wire somewhere, the fuel pump possibly or the ECU itself as when the car stalls it is usually at a good operating temp or being driven often. I will attempt my best to keep this thread up to date and post findings until i can create a once again smooth driving experience. Any advice or questions are welcome
Old 02-21-18, 02:24 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

For those of you who are not familiar the filter i spoke of changing sits right beneath this sensor on a 22MM bolt.
Old 02-21-18, 02:25 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Did you check, replaced the oil filter for the VVTi solenoid? The filter could be clogged. To change it remove the 22mm bolt it is recessed in there. Check, clean your MAF and all wire harness.
Good luck with this, let us know the outcome.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 02-21-18 at 02:29 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-06-18, 06:08 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm having this issue as well, Cleaned out the OCV filter and also jumped the OCV's connector to the battery to test if it was actuating properly, and it seems fine. I don't want to outright replace it if it isn't known to be bad because throwing parts at the car is a slippery slope. Anyone with some insight on what else it could be?
Old 03-07-18, 03:06 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

After replacing the OCV with an aftermarket option from amazon, the car has not had any other issues, i also swapped the MAF sensor and thoroughgly cleaned the intake as big said it was due for one. After cleaning the butterfly spotless as well as the IACV i have had ZERO issues since my last post. I also cleaned the OCV filter before swapping it. This is the part i used
Amazon Amazon

My OEM valve was indeed actuating properly but at higher temperatures it would fail actuating and fill itself with oil., then leak out of the connector it seems, idk how.