Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 sc300 cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 11:13 PM
jalien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sc300 cranks but doesn't start

hi guys, ive researched a little about what could cause this. a bad relay, no power to fuel pump, no spark, bad ecu? last sunday i had a blowout on the freeway. put a spare on and drove the car home where it sat in my driveway facing downwards . on wednesday i drove onto 2x6's so i could get the jack under my car and take off the driver front wheel. i intended to buy two front tires thursday--it never happened and the car sat like that until today, in which i put the front end on jackstands and jacked up the back to get my rears off because i decided to get all new tires. the car sat like this from 2pm til 8pm. i got the wheels on and went to take the car for a spin. at first i accidentally tried using my other car key but doesnt even fit so i cranked it with the right key and it just cranks and never starts. i used jumper cables from my other car and still didnt start. i thought at first maybe the other keys chip disabled the fuel pump, but as far as ive read, only 1998 sc300's and up keys are chipped so theres no chip reader/transponder (or whatever its called) on the sc300. any ideas? thanx in advance.
Old 11-19-17, 02:37 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

try bypassing the fuel pump ecu in the under-hood diag port yet?
The following users liked this post:
jalien (11-21-17)
Old 11-19-17, 04:10 PM
jalien
Driver School Candidate

yes. fp and +b, right? nada. also, CEL is on steady when key is in ON position. i do not hear the fuel pump at all, jumped or not.
car just hit 150750 miles. maybe toyota has gremlins that activate at the 150k+ mark ;P

update 11/20/17--checked all fuses--all good. swapped efi relay with defrost relay--nada.

about to try the 12v mod tomorrow and see what happens. this is bs...

Last edited by jalien; 11-20-17 at 01:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 11-21-17, 11:45 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I had a very similar situation, check my thread for a few ideas of things to try:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...n-t-start.html

If you already jumped fp to b+ and got nothing, I wouldn't bother with the ECU mod.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 11-21-17 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jalien (11-21-17)
Old 11-22-17, 12:08 AM
jalien
Driver School Candidate

So, an update from what happened 11/21/17....so i got up early to start working on the car--the 12v mod. once i got in there, i found out that it had already been done! DOH! so i was thinking definitely bad pump. so i take the pump assembly out and set it in a bucket in the back (wires still attached) and lowered the windows halfway for the fumes. i then went to the local junkyard to find a pump. no dice at the junkyard so i went back home because i had to get ready for work. so on my way out to my pilot, i stop by the sc to raise the windows a bit. well well well....when i got the key to the ON position, the freakn pump turned on squirting gas out the tube! WTF?! i thought. so i hurriedly turned off the power, put the pump back in and cover on. turned the key to ON and NOTHING! AGAIN...long story short...theres a bad wire on the pump assembly or cover that i need to fix. MAYBE this might be a last resort for those that tried ALMOST everything. i will update exactly what wire it is and what its connected to.

Last edited by jalien; 11-22-17 at 12:12 AM. Reason: clarification