Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car Cranks but Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 10:57 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Car Cranks but Won't Start

First, I've searched high and low for someone who has an issue like mine, but I cannot find any clues.

Problem: Was driving the car a week and a half ago, stopped at a light and the car cut off. Tried to restart it, and it cranks hard, but absolutely will not start.

Tests:
- Sprayed Starting fluid into the intake - Car starts to crank and run. Great I've got spark
- Checked the fuel pump ECU - It has been bypassed already
- Replaced fuel pump - Installed a Supra Pump
- Checked the EFI 30A fuse - Intact, checked continuity, good reading, still replaced it. No start
- Checked power at the fuel pump with the Relay in place - .6v
- Removed the EFI relay and jumped pins 2 and 4 - 12v power to the fuel pump, engine starts, but runs rough
- Replaced EFI relay with brand new unit - No start, .6v at fuel pump
- Checked ground continuity to the fuse box and the engine - Good grounds
- Checked power from the negative battery terminal to the left side(3 below) of the 30A EFI fuse - .6v

Any ideas? Am I looking at needing a new ECU?

All voltage readings were taken with the key in the ON position.

FYI, Pic of EFI Relay pins that were jumped:

Last edited by mrmj2u; 05-31-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-31-17, 06:35 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

checked your actual ECU? leaking capacitors can be the root of such a cause, I hate to be that guy of the thread but these cars have alot of commons issues that can be solved by ECU replacement or repair.
Old 05-31-17, 07:42 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
checked your actual ECU? leaking capacitors can be the root of such a cause, I hate to be that guy of the thread but these cars have alot of commons issues that can be solved by ECU replacement or repair.
Thanks for the response. I have not checked the ECU. I do not have an extra ECU, so I will need to buy one.

Was hoping that there would be another thing to check, before spending the money on a new ECU.
Old 05-31-17, 07:54 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When you get the car started with the starter fluid, how does it run? It could be a problem with your AFM, Cam/Crank Angle Sensor, Injectors, possibly your TPS or Idle Air Control Valve, My good friend had avery similar issue only a few weeks back in his VR4 Galant and all it needed was some cleaner over his AFM and Throttle Body.
Old 05-31-17, 08:05 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJG87
When you get the car started with the starter fluid, how does it run? It could be a problem with your AFM, Cam/Crank Angle Sensor, Injectors, possibly your TPS or Idle Air Control Valve, My good friend had avery similar issue only a few weeks back in his VR4 Galant and all it needed was some cleaner over his AFM and Throttle Body.
It didn't run well at all on the starter fluid. It sputtered and didn't idle correctly.

When the EFI relay pins were jumped, the injectors started hum immediately, the fuel pump started and then when I turned the key to START the engine it started. It sputtered really bad and wouldn't idle over ~350 RPMS. It ran very smooth as I revved it, though.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 11-21-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-31-17, 08:15 PM
MJG87
Driver

Did it fire up right away with the starter fluid?
Old 05-31-17, 08:18 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Did it fire up right away with the starter fluid?
Yes it did. Which lead me to question the fuel system and to rule out the spark system.
Old 05-31-17, 08:45 PM
MJG87
Driver

It does sound like a fuel issue but could possibly be Airflow related, though that would usually mean it runs a bit rough once you get it going. If its revving smoothly and the fuel pump and injectors are operating fine it could possibly be a sensor or airflow issue. Have you worked your way through the Air system?
Old 05-31-17, 08:52 PM
MJG87
Driver

Forgot to ask, any warning lights or codes showing?
Old 06-01-17, 06:01 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

It does sound like a fuel issue but could possibly be Airflow related, though that would usually mean it runs a bit rough once you get it going. If its revving smoothly and the fuel pump and injectors are operating fine it could possibly be a sensor or airflow issue. Have you worked your way through the Air system?
I haven't done anything with the airflow system. I can check into that.

Forgot to ask, any warning lights or codes showing?
There are no codes showing, the only time the CEL lights up is when the EFI pins are jumped. Otherwise there is no CEL when turning the car on.
I've jumped the E1 with TE1 and the CEL does not light. I'm seriously thinking that its the ECU.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 06-01-17 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 06:28 PM
jmblimo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '97 just cut off going down the street. Checked everything figuring fuel pump, or my ECU, was dead. Hooking up a meter to the OBD2 port would not read anything. Meter said "no communication" with the ECU. Might be worth you doing that just to check. I bought a replacement ECU from a salvage yard and it fired right up.

ps: The previous owner parked the car in the hot sun way too much. (my back seat and speakers are toast) I figure all that heat helped take out the ECU.

Last edited by jmblimo; 06-05-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 06:40 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmblimo
My '97 just cut off going down the street. Checked everything figuring fuel pump, or my ECU, was dead. Hooking a meter to the OBD2 port would not read anything. Might be worth you doing just to check. I bought a replacement ECU from a salvage yard and it fired right up.

ps: The previous owner parked the car in the hot sun way too much. My back seat is toast. I figure all that heat helped take out the ECU.
Thanks for the response! I ordered an ECU last night. I certainly hope that I have the same result that you had!
Old 06-01-17, 09:41 PM
MJG87
Driver

Good luck mate, keep us posted.
Old 06-03-17, 02:11 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

The problem was with the ECU. The new-to-me ECU arrived today, popped it in, plugged the battery in and the car roared back to life!

Do you guys think it can be fixed? It looks really bad to me. Seems like a good idea to have a spare lying around.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!
Old 06-03-17, 03:44 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Send it out for a rebuild... Always good to have a spare ECU as it is not a part easy to get.....

Either Tanin

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/1992-1995-SC400-SC300-Lexus-SC400-ECU-ECM-Rebuild-p/lexus_ecu_repair.htm

or

Darryl

http://www.lexuspartsplus.com/ecu-services.html

Quick Reply: Car Cranks but Won't Start