Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Seat Stuck - replacement or alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 07:44 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC400 Seat Stuck - replacement or alternatives?

Hello everyone.

Okay well two issues and a couple of problems. A month or so ago I had my SC400 '93 passenger seat get stuck on one side.
The motor seems to be working on the right side which moves back and forth BUT the left side seems to be jammed? The seat moves to one side and its like the leather/seat is being pressed towards the center console.

Now I did search and I know about the gear issue however I took out the seat, found that the gear is gone PLUS the seat motor doesn't seem to be working.
Well for now, I was thinking would the LS400 (92-96?) seat switch out with current seats, would there be a rail issue? Would the seat actually move forward and tilt forward as I sometimes have rear passengers?

Or would AFTERMARKET seats be a better option? What would fit without sacrificing the whole power seat features? If it had to be my last resort, I wouldn't mind the passenger seat being manual as long as it can tilt forward to allow rear passengers through.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-13-17, 11:43 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd head to a yard and find replacement parts for the motor/track/etc
Old 08-14-17, 07:40 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

The gear is gone? I'm not sure what that means.

Usually, when one side moves but not the other, it means you've lost the little hex head white plastic cap on one side. If it's missing, it doesn't keep the shaft in place, which I guess keeps the motor from being able to turn anything.

LS400 seats wouldn't be compatible without modification, as far as I know. MKIV Supra seats are the only ones that share the SC's bolt pattern. There are aftermarket seat brackets that would fit with racing style seats.
Old 08-21-17, 01:22 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
The gear is gone? I'm not sure what that means.

Usually, when one side moves but not the other, it means you've lost the little hex head white plastic cap on one side. If it's missing, it doesn't keep the shaft in place, which I guess keeps the motor from being able to turn anything. LS400 seats wouldn't be compatible without modification, as far as I know. MKIV Supra seats are the only ones that share the SC's bolt pattern. There are aftermarket seat brackets that would fit with racing style seats.
After lifting the seat out (FINALLY!), I noticed the motor does not work but it seems one of the gears inside seems to be stuck. I have read the forums about the plastic cap issue yet I cant find mine, thought it may have dropped and would be around the floor or somewhere under the carpet but yeah, no luck!

Guess I'll have to scour eBay for these without these being too expensive.
Old 08-21-17, 01:24 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Returd
I'd head to a yard and find replacement parts for the motor/track/etc
Sadly yards here (I'm in the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES) do not hold many SC's but hold some RHD soarers. Unsure if the seat/motors are the same but will take a look when I get the time.
I'm leaning towards the lost plastic cap idea however I will try to update as I go along in the quest to fix this seat. Right now I've just manually adjusted the bolt so people and objects can get back but my passengers are all squished for now with the lack of leg room. Need shorter friends :P