Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ABS Headache :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 06:05 AM
purpledrum
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy ABS Headache :(

Hello! This is my first post on Club Lexus and I am very happy to be here. I have been frequenting these forums almost daily since I bought my 1992 SC400 a couple of months ago.
I have found loads of great info and a pretty awesome community!

Sadly, my SC400 has been sitting in the shop(for almost a week), as I have been told that I have a bad ABS control module. I have done a lot of searching on the internet, on these forums and other forums and I cannot find a lot of info on this particular part.

I have had two separate shops search for this part for me and no one can find a new one. I have done a lot of searching myself and I can't find one either. There are plenty of used parts available, but not a soul knows if it can be reprogrammed and used.

I was wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction. I really want to get my baby back on the road.

A few questions that I have:
  • Does anyone know where I can get a new 1992 SC400 abs module?
  • Can I replace the bad part with a used 1992 SC400 abs module?
  • How can I remove/disable the abs module and still drive the car (though I recognize it may not be as safe, I will accept this option as a last resort)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-17, 08:17 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ABS is system designed for idiots! We drove for many years with out it. All it does is rapid pump the brakes under slippery conditions to allow the driver to steer without locking up the brakes in a slide. Many an old lady has been killed because they thought it stopped the car. Thus in many states it is now legal to disable the system by pulling the fuse, which.I do in most of my cars because I am a better driver than it is smart. Search the threads here as many drifters take the system out and replumb the brake lines. Sugest you use stainless braided lines.
The following users liked this post:
purpledrum (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 05:09 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
ABS is system designed for idiots! We drove for many years with out it. All it does is rapid pump the brakes under slippery conditions to allow the driver to steer without locking up the brakes in a slide. Many an old lady has been killed because they thought it stopped the car. Thus in many states it is now legal to disable the system by pulling the fuse, which.I do in most of my cars because I am a better driver than it is smart. Search the threads here as many drifters take the system out and replumb the brake lines. Sugest you use stainless braided lines.
There may be validity to what you are saying for normal every day street driving, but in general the car performs better with ABS than without. I race an SC in endurance racing, I had the opportunity to prove to the guys that race with me how there is no way you can drive it as hard without abs than with it. We lost a wheel bearing at COTA last year and it damaged the splines on the cv axle that the sensor picks up. We replaced the wheel bearing (actually just swapped the spindle) and went back out without abs and lap times were consistently 2 seconds slower. You also don't flat spot the tires with abs, under maximum braking on track it is very difficult to prevent so you have to back it off just a little. So, to say abs is designed for idiots, eh I'll just say at least on track it may be for idiots but you'll say it as they pass you. It's all about weight reduction with the SC on track, but the I elect to take the 30lb hit for the abs system for all the benefits it gives you.

OP, I would say just buy a used part off ebay or from a salvage yard if there at SC at one close to you. Are you sure it has to have reprogramming, I wouldn't think so but have never changed one. Are you sure it is the module? What are the symptoms? If I was just using the car for daily street driving, rather than go to the expense and time of a change I would just disable it as the previous poster suggested.

Last edited by RXRodger; 07-28-17 at 05:13 AM. Reason: OP
The following users liked this post:
purpledrum (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 05:49 AM
purpledrum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXRodger
There may be validity to what you are saying for normal every day street driving, but in general the car performs better with ABS than without. I race an SC in endurance racing, I had the opportunity to prove to the guys that race with me how there is no way you can drive it as hard without abs than with it. We lost a wheel bearing at COTA last year and it damaged the splines on the cv axle that the sensor picks up. We replaced the wheel bearing (actually just swapped the spindle) and went back out without abs and lap times were consistently 2 seconds slower. You also don't flat spot the tires with abs, under maximum braking on track it is very difficult to prevent so you have to back it off just a little. So, to say abs is designed for idiots, eh I'll just say at least on track it may be for idiots but you'll say it as they pass you. It's all about weight reduction with the SC on track, but the I elect to take the 30lb hit for the abs system for all the benefits it gives you.

OP, I would say just buy a used part off ebay or from a salvage yard if there at SC at one close to you. Are you sure it has to have reprogramming, I wouldn't think so but have never changed one. Are you sure it is the module? What are the symptoms? If I was just using the car for daily street driving, rather than go to the expense and time of a change I would just disable it as the previous poster suggested.
Thank you to all that have replied!

I brought my car to a mechanic when my car stopped moving in idle. It locks up unless I give it gas (in drive and in reverse). I put it in neutral and tried to push it, and it just wasn't gonna happen.
I thought it was broken calipers or something along those lines but a trusted mechanic claims it is the abs. I have been told to replace it with a used part but it will have to be reprogrammed. I have also been told that a used abs cannot even be reprogrammed.

I have yet to talk to a mechanic that really knows what to do about it. No mechanic I have talked to will remove it either (for safety reasons).

This is my daily driver and I haven't been able to drive for a week. This issue has been quite the burden.
I am probably going to disable the abs to see if that fixes the problem.

A few questions I have before I do that:
  1. Is it as simple as just pulling a fuse or do I have to do a full abs delete?
  2. If it is just a fuse, if I were to disable it, can I re-enable it?
  3. My SC also has traction control, does that make a difference?
Thank you to everyone that has read this and to all that have replied! The quicker I get this figured out the better
Old 07-28-17, 10:03 AM
nismogabby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't looked at any deeper than reading this thread, but Pulling the fuse is a task you shouldn't need a shop to try. go over to where ever it is and try it yourself. the worst case is you spent 10 mins in the heat figuring out what isn't the issue. As for them being programmed.... I have little trouble believing they are programmed to anything in 1992. We aren't talking the era of OBD2 with coded ignitions or Can BUS. It is common practice on cars of that era to remove the pumps entirely.
Old 07-28-17, 10:05 AM
nismogabby
Driver School Candidate

delete kit shows no wiring or module. I would assume that means that it being active is not a requirement for the car to operate in which case unplugging/pulling a fuse to disengage it would be a easy bandage.
https://www.powerhouseracing.com/pro...xus-sc300sc400
Old 07-28-17, 10:11 AM
nismogabby
Driver School Candidate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Lexus-S...tZYr3a&vxp=mtr

Sorry for the 3 posts, but if this is the correct part it I would take the $10 shot in the dark and plug this guy in before I freaked out too much about it being programmed. worst case you can disable the pump and drive it a dealer to be programmed.
Old 07-29-17, 10:48 AM
purpledrum
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE!

I disabled the ABS this morning. Pulled the ABS #1 fuse and the ABS actuator. I had to bleed the brake lines to release the pressure so that the brakes unlocked. Car is now running smooth! The dang traction control + abs lights stay on but I can live with that

Thanks to everyone for your assistance and feel free to contact me if YOU have this problem in the future.
Old 07-30-17, 05:06 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the trac is separate from the abs. If I'm correct that means you can still run the trac pump and system with abs disabled/removed.