Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP!!! Wiring/Lighting issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 06:06 PM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default HELP!!! Wiring/Lighting issue

This is gonna be a long one, so buckle up!

The short version is I blew both of the left side headlight fuses. The 15 amp ones under the hood for left hand low and left hand high. I put a new one in and it popped instantly, so I assume a short somewhere.

To catch you guys up on my recent **** up, I had shorted out the harness behind the radio. I had the wrong radio harness for the car, and then also plugged it into the wrong connector. Lucky for me I didn't damage the headunit or LXCC, but I did fry the wiring. I was able to get a new harness, and thought I was good. When I replaced that I figured out that I had plugged into the connector for the hazard switch, and melted a ground.

As of right now I know that the rear lights all work 100% like normal. That is to say parking lights, hazard, turn signals, and brake. In the front I don't get any lights when I turn on the parking lights, and only the right side headlight and high beam come on. The corner lights in the headlight housing both work with the turn signals, and the hazards, but the none of the bumper lights come on for anything. At one point after putting the center wiring back in the car all of the front lights worked, but when it was 100% done and I went to take it for a ride the left side was dead. I started by checking the bulb and balast, both of which are fine.

Last bit of info, I had changed to 95/96 tail lights, and put in LED bulbs at the time. I had a fast blink signal, and a light indicator on the dash. I changed back to all new regular bulbs (except reverse lights) and hard to say for sure but I think the turn signal blinks slower, but still too fast. Probably does't have to do with anything but just throwing that out there as well. The car is a 1993 SC400, and everything WAS working just fine before winter. Besides the **** up, I did also remove an old alarm/remote start. Again, could be nothing but full disclosure.

So I guess the question is, where to start? Should I be starting from the headlight side of things, or from the in car wiring that could still be damaged past the harness I replaced? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help!

Sean
Old 06-03-17, 06:40 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

BUMP!!!

I was diving last night, and the lower lights do come on with the signals, but still no bumper lights or left hand low beam.

Sean
Old 06-12-17, 05:46 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Update. After some testing I found out that the balast was indeed bad, but took out the bulb. So low and high beam headlights work exactly as they should now. Also the large outside amber bulb, and the large bumper lights (that look like fog lights) work as normal. What isn't working is the smaller bulb in the headlight housing, and the side marker bulb in the bumper. I don't get power on either of them at any time. I am not sure when they should be turning on, but I tested each with parking lights, headlights, turn signal, and hazard. I went though all the fuses inside the car by the driver foot, and under the hood and nothing was burned out or missing. Actually nothing really sounded like it would fix that problem, but I still pulled and checked anything to do with lighting at all.

I have no idea what the problem could be, or where to look next. HELP!!!!

Sean