Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine jacking

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 12:30 PM
zneubauer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine jacking

I've been doing my NA-T build and so far I've gotten answers to most of my issues....except for the damn oil pan. I have the car up on jack stands and need to take the oil pan out to drill or tap. I heard that jacking the engine up while the motor mount bolts is an effective way to do it. Where would I jack the motor up from? Anyone else have any removal or drilling/tapping ideas? Pictures would be helpful, and if I figure something out I'll post my pictures for future reference and a write-up as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-17, 03:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm not sure what the best way is to remove the oil pan with the engine in the car (never done it myself) but I highly, highly recommend taking it off the car before you do any drilling. I don't know how anyone taps the pan without risking shavings getting into their oil. I did mine with it being off the car and cleaned it thoroughly afterwards:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9726193

I admit that this is easier when you have the entire engine out of the car.
Old 04-07-17, 06:23 PM
zneubauer
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'm not sure what the best way is to remove the oil pan with the engine in the car (never done it myself) but I highly, highly recommend taking it off the car before you do any drilling. I don't know how anyone taps the pan without risking shavings getting into their oil. I did mine with it being off the car and cleaned it thoroughly afterwards:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9726193

I admit that this is easier when you have the entire engine out of the car.
The risk of shavings in my oil is pretty scary, not exactly my first choice. Anyways, I've been under there twice since I jacked it up today and I still can't find a point at which to jack the motor so that I can remove the pan.
Old 04-07-17, 06:49 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are going to do this I would highly suggest to unbolt the motor mounts and use an engine hoist to raise the engine up so you can remove the oil pan..

It is literally impossible to remove oil pan by jacking up the engine from below.
Old 04-09-17, 01:54 PM
LoudonMan
Rookie

I have used a front wheel drive engine support that I bought from Harbor Freight. Mucho better than using a hoist.For a 60 dollar tool, I have used the heck out of it on other cars, and even made a few for friends.
Old 04-09-17, 04:05 PM
zneubauer
Rookie

Originally Posted by LoudonMan
I have used a front wheel drive engine support that I bought from Harbor Freight. Mucho better than using a hoist.For a 60 dollar tool, I have used the heck out of it on other cars, and even made a few for friends.
I think we bought the same thing, I have a game plan now for getting this awful oil pan out, but the engine support is pretty awesome. Did you switch the chains for bigger ones? The ones that came with it seem pretty thin to hold up a damn 6 shooter.
Old 04-09-17, 07:32 PM
LoudonMan
Rookie

Default Bigger Chains

Originally Posted by zneubauer
I think we bought the same thing, I have a game plan now for getting this awful oil pan out, but the engine support is pretty awesome. Did you switch the chains for bigger ones? The ones that came with it seem pretty thin to hold up a damn 6 shooter.
Yup. I swapped out the chains with 3/8", as I thought the originals were pretty puny. Also, I could change out hooks, shackles and the like.