Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 09:44 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
that is the beauty of twin / triple / quad disks that where specifically made or spec'ed for and engine / trans setup ... you don't need another flywheel cause it is part of the Clutch Combo... which is what makes that of Collins solution different..on their twin disk you need the stock flex plate for your starter and another adapter to use a twin disk. That is exactly what Ali and I was saying ... too many parts pieced together that can fall apart in high RPMs just to use a twin disk .
Gotcha. I was under the impression that maybe that clutch kit didn't come with the flywheel, and that the Maverick custom flywheel was needed. But yes, in either case, I do agree that if going with a twin disc setup, it looks like Maverick might be the way to go to avoid the necessary use of auto flex plate + adapter.. I'm almost beginning to wonder now if Maverick is the way to go anyhow, especially if this twin disc clutch here feels like OEM. I wish we had someone that could verify this. I would just be afraid of piecing things together, and it not working. It would give me more peace of mind to buy the whole kit from one source
Old 01-27-16, 10:46 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I just got messaged back from Vinny at Vinny Ten Racing, who specializes in building high HP 350Z's and also Supra's. He said that the cd009 is good for at least 800 HP. He has 2 stick cars running that much and over 50 passes on them and has not hurt the trans. He did confirm however, that it is a bit of a stretch to say that the cd009 can be a v160 replacement.
Old 01-27-16, 11:17 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Exactly what I have been told by people who had first hand knowledge on the SP 350z project . Now that it came from the horse mouth (someone who work on these 350z day in day out) .. there is no way it is as robust as the V160 which had been pushed to at least 1400rwhp. It is a good replacement or better than the aging R154 , that's it ! That is the reason it was never pushed by SP for those who wanted +1000rwhp / +800 lbs/ft setup . One of the reason also it had to be replaced .
Old 01-27-16, 11:35 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
I just got messaged back from Vinny at Vinny Ten Racing, who specializes in building high HP 350Z's and also Supra's. He said that the cd009 is good for at least 800 HP. He has 2 stick cars running that much and over 50 passes on them and has not hurt the trans. He did confirm however, that it is a bit of a stretch to say that the cd009 can be a v160 replacement.
Ah very good to know, been waiting for some hard facts. This will still be plenty for most peoples goals but also not an option at all for just as many big power guys.
Old 01-27-16, 12:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that maverick twin clutch kit it is not very clear if the starter ring is integrated or they stuck a flex plate behind it, in the picture its a different color and almost looks like there is a flex plate behind it. I would ask them before getting that but if its integrated that is not a bad solution at all. I don't understand what the difficulty is for these places that do custom work to incorporate a starter gear, its not rocket science, I wouldn't even mind if they made the flywheel that wasn't aluminum and weld a stock ring gear on there. I suddenly feel the need to start a machine shop now =(

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-27-16 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 01:05 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

true got to verify if it is integrated flywheel / starter plate on that twin clutch

spec twin disk clutch with maverick adapter plate for the CD009 on a JZ
Name:  spec1_zpspya8u0zc.jpg
Views: 8964
Size:  628.0 KB

though looking at the mkiv and mkiii spec twin disks clutches.. they look same thickness of flywheel

mkiv
Name:  spec5_zpsczxikfet.jpg
Views: 8683
Size:  80.8 KB

mkiii
Name:  spec4_zpspto5rum2.jpg
Views: 8595
Size:  51.8 KB

and for the nissan 350z thickness of plate is different too
Name:  spec2_zpsivam1thd.jpg
Views: 8453
Size:  30.7 KB
Old 01-28-16, 05:33 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Exactly what I have been told by people who had first hand knowledge on the SP 350z project . Now that it came from the horse mouth (someone who work on these 350z day in day out) .. there is no way it is as robust as the V160 which had been pushed to at least 1400rwhp. It is a good replacement or better than the aging R154 , that's it ! That is the reason it was never pushed by SP for those who wanted +1000rwhp / +800 lbs/ft setup . One of the reason also it had to be replaced .
yeah, I agree that its definitely an upgrade for the R154. Sounds like it might even better than an R154 with MC internals. I am wondering if there are upgraded internals available for the cd009 that can bring power levels up into the v160 range, or more near it... You would still be ahead of the game after putting some $$ into upgraded internals, as opposed to a v160. Especially with the discontinuation of the v160 and v160 components.
Old 01-28-16, 09:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it seems like the ring gear is incorporated somehow on those later pictures which is good.
also it does look just like the mk4 version, but probably has discs for the nissan spline.
that seems like a pretty good option then, only other issue was the shifter and that is improved as well.

have you guys seen this shifter, says its at 29.5" which is literally perfect for our cars, and still uses remote shift.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-28-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 06:52 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Nice find Ali. Another option for shifter. Looks like that will be ready for purchase in March, and will be in the $350-$400 range according to their facebook page

I have been in talks with the CBF racing guy and the reverse lockout is no longer just an option, it is built into all shifters..
Old 01-29-16, 07:15 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I just ordered my cd009 from LKQ. Paid $600 plus $210 to ship it for a trans with 63k. It has the AZQ CD009 sticker on it, and has CD0 #2 stamped on the casing which means that it is the latest revision of the cd009 (so I've read) I will start a build thread for removing the auto trans and swapping this in. I will just be going with the Collins kit for 670 ft lb
Old 01-30-16, 06:10 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

nice .. we are getting more options as each day pass . That shifter location at 29.5" will work with our MKIVs and SCs. I still want to try one setup in one of my SCs even if it is not as robust as the V160. After all Vinny Ten said it is holding 800rwhp with his builds...

do you guys know that on the Collins website , they also have now an adapter that you can use with the automatic A340 bellhousing and mate the 6speed 350z trans, cutting out the original bellhousing ? Just like what the SF sponsor was offering with an R154 bellhousing.. but this one A340 bellhousing. So there is no tunnel beating ...

now that we have more shifter locations solutions, adapter solutions, I hope we get more twin disks solutions .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-30-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 06:23 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Good find Gerry, that is awesome! I will have to look into this A340 bellhousing solution, and see if he has a whole kit with it
Old 01-30-16, 08:21 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

After seeing how rigged that A340 bellhousing adapter looks on the trans, I pretty much made my mind up to just go with the other Collins kit. I think it looks terrible all pieced together like that. Not to mention the big gap in between the adapter and where the CD009 bellhousing was cut. I would rather just bang the tunnel in a bit
Old 02-01-16, 06:27 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I maybe wrong but aren't you stucked with a single clutch system with that adapter ? Reason they were making different adapters also I believe is to have more options on clutches...single, twins, triple for future flexibility as your setup grows .
Old 02-01-16, 07:24 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I maybe wrong but aren't you stucked with a single clutch system with that adapter ? Reason they were making different adapters also I believe is to have more options on clutches...single, twins, triple for future flexibility as your setup grows .
yes, I would be stuck with their single disc setup. Unless I went with the double clutch setup which requires the auto flexplate and adapter. But, I don't like that solution, and the single disc setup that I am looking to get is good for 670ft lb, which is like 800-850HP for JZ. That is at the limit of the trans anyway, so I don't really predict needing a double or triple disc. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like using the A340 bell housing allows you to use the stock JZ flywheel, but it sounds like you have to use a custom clutch setup, rather than just the standard R154 kit?

Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!