Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 09:48 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by estomax
No milling of starter, had to use standard open ended 2JZ starter, the 1JZ starter has a cap on it which hit the flywheel. Also did no tunnel work, it fits, snugly, no touching. my kit does have the 5/8 inch shaved off the bellhousing, maybe that made the difference?
OK cool, thanks. The 5/8" was taken right off of the face, or "flange" of the bellhousing, correct? How thick is that face to begin with? Did that 5/8" removal take off a lot of meat?
Old 01-21-16, 12:31 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I shouldn't have a problem running the auto ecu (with map ecu) if I swap in a CD009, correct?
Old 01-22-16, 05:20 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Hey Marko,

do you remember if there was much of a weight difference between the custom Collins flywheel, and the OEM flywheel?
Old 01-22-16, 05:33 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Also, guys, just came across this:

http://www.suprastore.com/howmupocan6s.html

The last sentence says that they expect the cost of a CD009 conversion to be around $6000-$8000.

I dont know how old that website posting is, but I hope their kit doesn't fall into that range. Even if those figures do include the cost of the trans. A Collins conversion is well under $3k and will include everything needed in a no milling required kit. That would include the adapter plate, custom flywheel, 670ft lb single disc clutch kit, trans mounts, aluminum driveshaft, and driveshaft adapter.
Old 01-22-16, 07:04 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome, I also wish there were more details on the differences between the CD trans over the years. The SF vendor setting up a possible group buy for a whole kit is killer, that makes it so much easier and takes the guess work out. At the rate were at it sounds like its going to peak at about $4k, not bad compared to the V160 rates and availability. Although, this is well into the cost of a built ATF... I guess if you MUST have a 6 speed this is a very viable option.
Old 01-22-16, 10:24 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Some company by the name of CBF Performance is making an internal shifter. They are on ebay for $320 and can apparently be custom made to put the shifter in different locations:

I'm not sure if it maintains reverse lockout though..
Old 01-24-16, 04:49 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
I shouldn't have a problem running the auto ecu (with map ecu) if I swap in a CD009, correct?
yes I'm running an auto ecu on my cd009 swap jzx100 1jz

the Collins flywheel weighs about the same as stock because it is thicker but aluminum mostly

also 5/8 inch off the face of the tranny takes most of the meat off on some bolt holes but there is still enough to hold the thing on.
Old 01-24-16, 05:41 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by estomax
yes I'm running an auto ecu on my cd009 swap jzx100 1jz

the Collins flywheel weighs about the same as stock because it is thicker but aluminum mostly

also 5/8 inch off the face of the tranny takes most of the meat off on some bolt holes but there is still enough to hold the thing on.
Awesome! Good to know that I can keep my ECU setup. Did you have to fake the ECU at all to think that it is still controlling a transmission?

I am getting anxious and might just pick up a Collins kit. But I really want to wait and see what SF comes up with, and where their pricing is going to end up.

Thanks Marko,

Keith
Old 01-25-16, 04:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

No you don't need to fake an Auto ECU to use it on a car with a manual transmission. No adverse effect noticeable especially by an ordinary end user though it won't perform at optimum. Why ? Inputs from an auto transmission sensors somehow affects how the Auto ECU functions (e.g. timing changes / fueling) but since you took out those sensors , the ECU will get into default figures as inputs. Just my $0.02 .
Old 01-25-16, 08:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that shifter looks interesting. 27" will be too far forward for the SC/supra (probably perfect for a mk3 though) but if they can move it back to 30" via the shift lever that might not bee too bad. doesn't appear to have reverse lockout but one could be made separate.
Old 01-25-16, 09:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

CBF performance has one at 30 , 29.5 , 27" or what ever you want .... found listed on the famous auction site which stirs my interest together with the adapter plate and R154 bellhousing from an SF vendor. So all we need is a good clutch / flywheel combo that could handle good power then truly test the CD009 capabilities and find out what its limitations are. If the Collins adapter has good Flywheel / Clutch combo options .. could be good too. Hammering that tunnel or using a hydraulic press in there isn't a big deal.

EDIT : The MKIV if I remember it right is at 755mm which is around 29.7

Last edited by gerrb; 01-25-16 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 10:00 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I messaged CBF performance on Facebook. You can add the reverse lockout as an option. It just doesn't come on their standard product. I wonder how it is done..
Old 01-25-16, 10:06 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
CBF performance has one at 30 , 29.5 , 27" or what ever you want .... found listed on the famous auction site which stirs my interest together with the adapter plate and R154 bellhousing from an SF vendor. So all we need is a good clutch / flywheel combo that could handle good power then truly test the CD009 capabilities and find out what its limitations are. If the Collins adapter has good Flywheel / Clutch combo options .. could be good too. Hammering that tunnel or using a hydraulic press in there isn't a big deal.

EDIT : The MKIV if I remember it right is at 755mm which is around 29.7
Collins has a single disc clutch option good for 670 ft lbs, or a twin disc option good for 900 ft lbs. Looks like the twin setup must use the auto flexplate and an adapter, which at that point, is probably just an off the shelf 350Z kit (I'm guessing...)
Old 01-25-16, 10:13 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Collins has a single disc clutch option good for 670 ft lbs, or a twin disc option good for 900 ft lbs. Looks like the twin setup must use the auto flexplate and an adapter, which at that point, is probably just an off the shelf 350Z kit (I'm guessing...)
That is what I didn't make clear in my last post I guess . I would prefer a well thought or spec'ed flywheel / combo manufactured by a reputable clutch maker for this application . I hate to piece together more parts that can give us problems just to use a twin disk for high torque applications . Just like you said you will need the stock flex plate and I believe another adapter .... more parts more possible problems to occur especially in very high RPMs.
Old 01-25-16, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Gerrb is on point, I have been waiting for a setup with the starter gear integrated into the flywheel. I dunno about all this bolting stuff together, I am sure it works fine for the most part but not interested in being the person who finds out when it doesn't work fine.

Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!