Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 10:17 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, estomax, Halon, what are your specs from the pedal assembly to master cylinder to lines to slave?

Thanks

Keith
Old 01-19-16, 12:46 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

If you ask Collins, pretty sure he has some customers making 1000+hp with his kit.

My specs from the clutch down is all OEM except for the clutch line where it connects to the slave. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe I used short braided line for a 240. It has the right ends to connect to the 350z slave on the tranny, and the stock SC300 hard line coming from the master.

Now I did recently have an issue where my clutch isn't fully disengaging. I'm not sure what the issue is but I've heard others have had to use a beefier master with this setup. So I have a Tilton master halfways installed at the moment. We'll see if that fixes it. But from what I've read it sounds like it might not be a bad idea to get a Tilton master when doing this swap just to be safe.
Old 01-19-16, 01:09 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
If you ask Collins, pretty sure he has some customers making 1000+hp with his kit.

My specs from the clutch down is all OEM except for the clutch line where it connects to the slave. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe I used short braided line for a 240. It has the right ends to connect to the 350z slave on the tranny, and the stock SC300 hard line coming from the master.

Now I did recently have an issue where my clutch isn't fully disengaging. I'm not sure what the issue is but I've heard others have had to use a beefier master with this setup. So I have a Tilton master halfways installed at the moment. We'll see if that fixes it. But from what I've read it sounds like it might not be a bad idea to get a Tilton master when doing this swap just to be safe.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 01-19-16, 02:41 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Also you asked about shifter. I was one of the original ones on here that did this swap and there was no 'good' shifter solution yet. So since I was so close to being done with the swap, I just kinda "got er done" with a long goose neck looking shifter that I made. My throws are quite long currently, but to be honest I got used to it very quick. You can watch my videos of my passes at the strip and I can shift it fine. But, it would be nice to do something better. Some people have come out with much better solutions now. If my tranny every has to come out, I will be ditching my goose neck thing and going with one of these new solutions for a more normal setup.
Old 01-19-16, 04:34 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

For those interested , at SF , they have started selling the CD009 adapter kit (plate , internal hydraulic throw out bearing / slave cylinder plus hardware) . This option uses the R154 bell housing which fits perfectly inside the MKIV and SC tunnels.
Old 01-19-16, 08:32 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
For those interested , at SF , they have started selling the CD009 adapter kit (plate , internal hydraulic throw out bearing / slave cylinder plus hardware) . This option uses the R154 bell housing which fits perfectly inside the MKIV and SC tunnels.
Nice!!! I will be watching this closely to see what their entire solution ends up costing. This solution might be worth some extra cash just for the convenience of fitment.
Old 01-19-16, 08:36 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting. So do you just use a standard Supra flywheel / clutch / slave arrangement then?
Old 01-19-16, 09:17 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a OEM sc300 master cylinder/clutch pedal with driftmotion braided stainless clutch line down to a 350z slave cylinder.

the collins adapter uses a custom flywheel with i believe a 3SGTE pressure plate and SR20 clutch but it all came in a kit so i can't say for sure, it is a sprung 6 puck disc rated for 425 ft lbs, fairly stiff pressure plate but not as bad as the ACT Extreme which i had before. the throwout bearing is also with the kit, so somewhat custom afaik.

i have notes on that compiled here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7r...ew?usp=sharing

my shifter i did a super frankenstein setup, here is what it ended up looking like about

here is a before:

the shifter wants to be right about where the black bushing is for the shift fork going into the transmission. i temporarily ran a 3 or 4 inch goose neck like Halon is running but i really didnt enjoy the feel of it, though it did work fine.

definately interested in seeing the newer solutions, the most annoying thing about it for me is the rattle at idle, it seems to come and go and be worse some days and barely hearable other times. i also added some 75w140 NS red line fluid in the transmission to mix with the redline mt90 to thicken the soup a bit, it seems to have quelled the rattle a bit, but it comes back here and there.

Marko
Old 01-20-16, 04:06 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

For the flywheel / clutch , they have partnered with QuarterMaster to make the single and twin clutch (depending on your power / torque requirements) kit for this setup .

As they said, included on the kit is the hydraulic throw out bearing / slave cylinder . Below I believe is what is used by that clutch company...

[/QUOTE]

I guess the thickness of that adapter plate is the secret in getting the input shaft flushed to the back of the JZ engine and a custom clutch which already includes the flywheel does the trick making the transmission plug and play on the JZ.

I am still curious on their solution for the shifter so it is not a "row row row your boat gently down the stream " thing. I saw one shifter on egay last night which is directly on that 7 bolt cover .. they probably have similar solution. Hopefully it puts the shifter where it should be on the MKIV and consequently same for the SC at least with the right tunnel. It remains to be seen.

If this pans out , pretty sure a lot of people will jump on this. Even with a twin clutch looks like total cost will be less than $4k using a second hand CD009. The brand new ones are less than $2k and might be worth it eventually just to make sure you are getting a good CD009. Surely the used ones will start getting more expensive when supra guys start seeing this as a viable / effective solution. I just haven't seen a 2JZ engine with this transmission handling the power / torque a V160 can handle that is why I guess people are still on the fence about this CD009 setup . Pretty sure we will start seeing some with this kit if indeed it is a good alternative.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-20-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 05:36 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Marko,

Thanks so much for your input!

Gerry,

Good stuff, thanks. Looks like one of those lines would be for a remote bleeder?

I just hate that everything is custom. With Collins, it appears that there are off the shelf components that can be used. It will be interesting to see some specs on what the clutch kits can hold, and how the driveability will be with them.

Keith
Old 01-20-16, 07:09 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Aren't the best power making and reliable powertrain & drivetrain setups all custom since every part was properly spec'ed for each other ?

It really remains to be seen how the whole setup pans out..... am curious myself since am looking at it for the old man's tan now that am thinking of converting it to a 6 speed manual transmission. Just got the pedals for it.

Looking forward to positive feedbacks hopefully and go from there .
Old 01-20-16, 07:18 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Aren't the best power making and reliable powertrain & drivetrain setups all custom since every part was properly spec'ed for each other ?

It really remains to be seen how the whole setup pans out..... am curious myself since am looking at it for the old man's tan now that am thinking of converting it to a 6 speed manual transmission. Just got the pedals for it.

Looking forward to positive feedbacks hopefully and go from there .
haha, very true. I guess performance = custom = $$. I would just hate to get locked into expensive custom replacement parts if/when they need to be changed.

and yeah, I'm hoping for positive feedback as well. I would definitely go this route
Old 01-20-16, 07:45 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Hey Marko,

Did you have to do any milling for the starter to engage properly? How much tunnel work did you have to do to get the trans to fit?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 01-20-16, 09:08 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Note that unless someone has actually figured out the exact combination of parts that Collin's uses for his flywheel/clutch setup, then you are also locked into his custom assembly there as well. That's why I opted for the flywheel adapter so I can just run any off the shelf 350z clutch/flywheel setup.
Old 01-20-16, 09:25 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Hey Marko,

Did you have to do any milling for the starter to engage properly? How much tunnel work did you have to do to get the trans to fit?

Thanks,

Keith
No milling of starter, had to use standard open ended 2JZ starter, the 1JZ starter has a cap on it which hit the flywheel. Also did no tunnel work, it fits, snugly, no touching. my kit does have the 5/8 inch shaved off the bellhousing, maybe that made the difference?

Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!