CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!! - Page 10 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) > Performance & Maintenance
CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!! >

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Notices
Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-16-16, 07:22 AM
  #136  
estomax
Lead Lap
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 518
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by SERIALN9NE View Post
Thanks estomax!! That is WAY better than both cars we've put them into haha. What shifter are u using? Pics!

SERIALNINE sedankings.
home made home depot special. nothing to be proud about but nothing was available two years ago that would give me a decent shift pattern and let me keep reverse lockout.

from above during my fab:


from underneath


the shift pattern is slightly trapezoid because of the geometry but it is barely noticeable. otherwise works alright, side to side has a bit more slop than i'd like though. had to cut the top of the trans tunnel to bring all the parts above it, but otherwise the trans fits under it just fine.

Marko
estomax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 05:20 PM
  #137  
Halon
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (6)
 
Halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LoveSCs View Post
Just heard back from southbend. The clamping force on their pressure plate used in the NSK1000-SS-TZ kit, which is rated to 575 ft lbs, is 2850lbs.

Compared to the ACT Xtreme N021X pressure plate used in the Collins kit, which is rated to 670 ft lbs, which was 3460lbs.

So, I guess one has to decide if the extra 100 ft lb torque capacity is worth the extra 600 lb of load on the thrust washers, relating to crank walk...

In my case, I am just going to go for the southbend kit, and will sell the ACT kit. Southbend kits have a reputation for holding more than what they are rated for as well...

OK, I am done talking about crank walk in this thread.

But, it is something definitely worth considering if going with the cd009 retrofit kit because there aren't a lot of mutli disc clutch options available at this point. So, if you plan on making huge power (greater than say 550 rw tq) on a cd009, just realize that you will end up needing a Maverick adapter with SPEC twin disc. And SPEC is not the best brand... Otherwise, you will need to go with the ACT 670ft lb kit, and put a TON of stress on the crank, while also sacrificing DD ability. Just my $.02 at this point. I am hoping that in the future, some good clutch manufacturers hop on the bandwagon here and start making off the shelf clutches/flywheels for these swaps...
Collins has a twin disc setup for more money last I talked to him.
Halon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 09:55 AM
  #138  
SERIALN9NE
Rookie
 
SERIALN9NE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 86
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Damn that looks crazy! So I JUST realized this is in the SC forums. Oh well. For reference here is the car getting the tranny.


So it had to be level with the rails. Here is where we ended up













Tunnel finish today. Then DS then reassembly! FYI we are using factory TOYOTA land cruiser flywheel redrilled to 350z clutch. Pilot bushing adaptor sleeve as well.

G.
SERIALN9NE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 10:33 AM
  #139  
estomax
Lead Lap
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 518
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

now that is interesting, if a land cruiser flywheel without any more modification than redrilling for 350z pressure plate works then that is a good discovery! what about the pilot bushing adapter? is that stock too? are you shaving the transmission bell housing at all?

thanks
Marko
estomax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 12:37 PM
  #140  
SERIALN9NE
Rookie
 
SERIALN9NE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 86
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by estomax View Post
now that is interesting, if a land cruiser flywheel without any more modification than redrilling for 350z pressure plate works then that is a good discovery! what about the pilot bushing adapter? is that stock too? are you shaving the transmission bell housing at all?

thanks
Marko
No we made the pilot bushing adaptor as well. We did shave the trans down a LOT also had to cut the sides off due to celsior 1uz flanges being exactly where the adaptor plate/trans is










G.
SERIALN9NE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 06:38 PM
  #141  
NOLAGG
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nyc
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey man I just installed this kit with a JWT street clutch kit . Only thing I had to do was sand down the pilot adaptor with 600 grit sand paper around the perimeter to slide the flywheel over it since he told me their machined to 1000ths of an inch and for hours wasn't sliding over it so what I did was sand a little test it, sand a little, test it till it went on. So far the kit works well, no problems and daily driven.




Any questions fire away
NOLAGG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 07:42 PM
  #142  
LoveSCs
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 658
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Collins has a twin disc setup for more money last I talked to him.
Yeah you're right he does. His adapter would require the use of the auto flexplate with his twin disc application. I don't know why he couldn't just design it with the starter gear attached..


Originally Posted by NOLAGG View Post
Hey man I just installed this kit with a JWT street clutch kit . Only thing I had to do was sand down the pilot adaptor with 600 grit sand paper around the perimeter to slide the flywheel over it since he told me their machined to 1000ths of an inch and for hours wasn't sliding over it so what I did was sand a little test it, sand a little, test it till it went on. So far the kit works well, no problems and daily driven.

Any questions fire away
Thanks a lot! I ended up going with a South Bend Stage 3 Endurance kit with silent disc. Hopefully everything fits perfect and I won't have to play around with anything
LoveSCs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 07:55 PM
  #143  
Halon
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (6)
 
Halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

NOLAGG what kit is that? And that's cool about the JWT clutch, so you were able to just use an off the shelf clutch on that setup?

I have a JWT clutch on my setup as well, and a JWT flywheel. My clutch has the metallic disc though rather than the standard organic.
Halon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 04:58 AM
  #144  
LoveSCs
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 658
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Halon View Post
NOLAGG what kit is that? And that's cool about the JWT clutch, so you were able to just use an off the shelf clutch on that setup?

I have a JWT clutch on my setup as well, and a JWT flywheel. My clutch has the metallic disc though rather than the standard organic.
That is the new Collins kit (no milling needed kit). The packing slip for the ACT clutch kit that came with mine are off the shelf 350z part numbers:

Pressure plate: N021X
6 puck sprung disc: 6250306
Alignment tool: AT01

So, I am assuming that you can use any off the shelf clutch with his new kit. I sure hope so, because I just bought a South Bend kit. The flywheel is pretty beefy, so I am assuming that all the stackups are taken into account on that to mate with a standard 350z clutch kit.
LoveSCs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 12:22 PM
  #145  
Aswilley
Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 185
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I must be lucky *** a **** cause I have two of these transmissions that I got for free. So here is just a little tester of knowledge and too get some opinions.

I happen to have a 2006 G35 CD009 transmission (external slave and shift fork) with only 55k miles on it & I also happen to have a newer 2009 G37 JK40C Transmission (Internal concentric slave and NO SHIFT FORK) with 39k miles on it..


If I have been reading correctly, the specs I believe are Identical between the two, just small parts internally that have been updated throughout the years. Now my question is what trans should I use?

I have been looking at the Collins Stage 5 regardless of what transmission I go with due to the high pressure of the single disc set-ups.. so for my build I am going with the twin disc for the SC300 (req's auto flex-plate)

I have also done some research and found that ZSpeed performance offers an upgraded Hydraulic throw-out and a Tilton slave (replaces the factory plastic housed one that tends to break under a few too many clutch kicks). There was a video floating around you-tube of a guy with this set up on his 2JZ but with the newer style there was also a metal shim plate that sat behind the throw-out to align it properly... I cant seem to find the video now to link it

So my questions are, since i have both options at an unbeatable price, what trans should I use? Also, with the Collins kit, do I actually need to pull the engine and trans out together in order to get it in without banging the tunnel to ****. I have access to a lift and endless tools so I wanted to work out all the kinks before begging the boss to use a lift for a weekend swap.

Last edited by Aswilley; 02-19-16 at 12:33 PM.
Aswilley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 01:57 PM
  #146  
LoveSCs
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 658
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aswilley View Post
I must be lucky *** a **** cause I have two of these transmissions that I got for free. So here is just a little tester of knowledge and too get some opinions.

I happen to have a 2006 G35 CD009 transmission (external slave and shift fork) with only 55k miles on it & I also happen to have a newer 2009 G37 JK40C Transmission (Internal concentric slave and NO SHIFT FORK) with 39k miles on it..


If I have been reading correctly, the specs I believe are Identical between the two, just small parts internally that have been updated throughout the years. Now my question is what trans should I use?

I have been looking at the Collins Stage 5 regardless of what transmission I go with due to the high pressure of the single disc set-ups.. so for my build I am going with the twin disc for the SC300 (req's auto flex-plate)

I have also done some research and found that ZSpeed performance offers an upgraded Hydraulic throw-out and a Tilton slave (replaces the factory plastic housed one that tends to break under a few too many clutch kicks). There was a video floating around you-tube of a guy with this set up on his 2JZ but with the newer style there was also a metal shim plate that sat behind the throw-out to align it properly... I cant seem to find the video now to link it

So my questions are, since i have both options at an unbeatable price, what trans should I use? Also, with the Collins kit, do I actually need to pull the engine and trans out together in order to get it in without banging the tunnel to ****. I have access to a lift and endless tools so I wanted to work out all the kinks before begging the boss to use a lift for a weekend swap.
wow, that's awesome! that saves you about $800. That's what I paid for mine with shipping. Which CD009 is it? Does it have CD# 02, or #01? #02 is the latest and greatest for 2006's with clutch fork.

I have read a couple different places that the trans with the fork is better to use. I don't know why though. And I am hoping to get away with installing the trans without pulling the motor. The top bellhousing bolts on the cd009 are going to be tough to get to though.. I may at the very least have to loosen up the motor mounts, unbolt downpipe, and address a couple other things to be able to get a jack under the front of the motor and tilt it back to get access to the top bolts. We shall see...
LoveSCs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 03:50 PM
  #147  
LSINA7
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't see much more from anyone on this subject recently. What did everyone decide was the best route here?
LSINA7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 04:57 PM
  #148  
Halon
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (6)
 
Halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Forums are going by the way side. If you're looking for more recent feedback you're probably better off checking the FB groups..
Halon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 08:09 PM
  #149  
ibizaflu
Driver School Candidate
iTrader: (1)
 
ibizaflu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Interesting, not a heavy hitter here sad to see it go that way. Just had the CD009 swap done.
ibizaflu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 02:51 AM
  #150  
LSINA7
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Forums are going by the way side. If you're looking for more recent feedback you're probably better off checking the FB groups..
If anyone could direct me into where to find a bit of more current info that would be great. I picked up a CD009 and am trying to figure out where to go for the swap parts.
LSINA7 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: