Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Fluid Refill Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 01:40 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Refill Question

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to find a definite answer (I'm not near my car) but where do I refill the transmission with more oil? Is there a reservoir in the engine bay or do I need to get a pump and fill it up under the car?

The few threads I've found have pictures that were removed quite some time ago, any help with this would be appreciated.

1UZFE /w W58 Manual transmission conversion.

Last edited by Deegee; 11-09-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 02:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

well I was going to say the dipstick before you wrote w58 manual conversion.

the old w58's you can pour the fluid through where the shifter hole is, i/e swan neck shifter style.
on the newer remote shift versions since the shifter sits behind it that doesn't work so you need to get under there and pump the fluid in.

you can also get those 1 quart squeeze bottles and squeeze it in one quart at a time at an angle, that works if you dont have a hand pump handy.
Old 11-09-15, 02:33 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

There are two drain plugs on the transmission.....lower one is to drain the fluid out and upper one is to fill it...

I highly recommend redline mt-90 fluid for transmission....and get yourself a plunger so you can pump it into transmission.
Old 11-09-15, 02:43 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
There are two drain plugs on the transmission.....lower one is to drain the fluid out and upper one is to fill it...

I highly recommend redline mt-90 fluid for transmission....and get yourself a plunger so you can pump it into transmission.
Hey Cat,

So it sounds like the upper plug is going to be only accessible under the car? I'm going to be doing a drain and not a complete flush.. so I would need to refill it with the pump ??? 3 qts. from what I read, correct?
Old 11-09-15, 03:39 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

They both are only accessible from under the car.....usually they are on opposite side of one another....

What you want to do is jack the car up....loosen the lower drain plug....I think it is a 19mm from what I recall...

Let all the fluid....drain out...put the lower drain plug back in and tighten it down...

Open upper plug....and fill up the transmission with fluid....when the fluid starts to come out of the hole you know it is full then....

About 3 qts should do it.....75w-90....
Old 11-10-15, 07:21 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
They both are only accessible from under the car.....usually they are on opposite side of one another....

What you want to do is jack the car up....loosen the lower drain plug....I think it is a 19mm from what I recall...

Let all the fluid....drain out...put the lower drain plug back in and tighten it down...

Open upper plug....and fill up the transmission with fluid....when the fluid starts to come out of the hole you know it is full then....

About 3 qts should do it.....75w-90....
Got it, from what I read the nut is a 24mm but I appreciate the info, just wasn't sure if I had to refill under the car or ontop. Thanks a bunch Cat.
Old 11-10-15, 01:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its under the car for sure, even when you can fill from the shifter on the older ones you still have to take the fill plug off to know you reached the right level.

a good tip is to undo the fill bolt before you undo the drain bolt.
It helps the fluid drain out faster, and also it makes sure you can get the fill bolt off first because if you drain the trans and can't get the fill bolt off, well you can't fill it to take it to a shop.

undo fill bolt, undo drain bolt to drain fluid, put drain bolt back (new gasket if you like), pump/squeeze fluid into trans until it starts to pour out of fill hole, put fill bolt back in (new gasket if you like).