Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need HELP!! 1jz Sc300 doesnt rev past 3k

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 02:40 PM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need HELP!! 1jz Sc300 doesnt rev past 3k

Hey Everyone,
So I posted here before but never really got a response from anyone.
I have been working on a 1jz swap in my 93 Sc300. I bought the swap with a soarer extended harness and soarer 1jz but when I put it in I was not able to rev past 3k. I ran the codes and it gave my error for cam/crank position sensor. I ended up tearing out the harness and sending it to Dr. Tweak to get it checked as I am using a 2jzgte patch harness and ecu(he said the harness was fine but regrounded the shielding for cam/crank position just in case.)

While my harness was out I replaced all 3 sensors cam/and crank position.
The car started up fine and ran perfectly. I only drove it for about 10 miles because I had a bad rear main seal because of the misfiring so I had to get that fixed. I pulled out of the mechanics shop and drove for about 10 min and all of a sudden problem is back.
Last night I pulled the crank position sensor out to check if the crank trigger wheel was loose(it was fine). I also replaced the valve cover gaskets because they we leaking also.
While doing that I found that the vacuum line going to my boost gauge was unplugged. Plugged that back in and installed a oil catch can. Same problem.
I currently am running JDM 440 cc injectors with a 2jz-gte ecu.
I have changed everything from fuel filter to spark plugs, to checking with another ecu, to injectors. To resetting ecu multiple times

Please, please, please if anyone has any suggestions to what my problem could be lemme know, because I am hitting my head against a wall and cant figure it out.
Old 11-01-15, 11:01 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Check your tps sensor. Make sure it's adjusted correctly
Old 11-01-15, 11:05 AM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

Thanks scmaluco
I Forgot to mention that,
My original tps sensor was broken from the mounting points and I didnt trust it, so I bought another one from Autozone and calibrated it correctly using the toyota service manual specs.
Old 11-01-15, 11:13 AM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

I am also running a Walrbo 450 using a combination of a relay from the 12v mod power as signal and a 8 guage wire from the batter with an inline fuse. I did this because I didnt want to overload the FP circuit with a bigger pump.

On the note of electricity, I made sure i have the 2 grounds on my manifold. Ground from transmission to the chassis, the ground next to the map sensor to manifold, ground from harness to frame, ground from harness to block.
There is probably something else I am forgetting.....
Old 11-25-15, 11:31 PM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

Default Resolved!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!
For future reference,
So I figured out my problem, I was trawling through the forums this morning and saw someone mention something about checking the starter(STA) pin on the ecu, it should only be getting signal while the engine is cranking, other than that it should be grounded.
I checked mine and sure enough I was getting 12v even when the engine was already running, So I cut that wire and spliced it to my push to start 12v signal going to my starter relay. VIOLA PROBLEM SOLVED!

This problem can happen to anyone with either a 1jz or 2jz, with either ecu.

It turns out that while starting the ecu heavily retards timing while starting, and since the engine had already started, when the ecu saw the revs go up it was confused and threw a code 12 saying something is wrong with my cam/crank position sensors, essentially putting it into limp mode.