Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

7-Speed BMW/Getrag DCT conversion for MKIV's

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 11:36 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts
Default 7-Speed BMW/Getrag DCT conversion for MKIV's

This thread popped up on SF today. Well worth looking through. To my knowledge, this is the first time a DCT has been adapted to an MKIV/SC.

The transmission tunnel requires significant modification to fit the thing in and there is additional wiring and control for the transmission but it works and there is a dyno video on Whifbitz's website (linked in the SF thread) demonstrating it in action. Definitely far less "violent" than an R154 or V160 against a 2JZ but it's something new for these older platforms. And this might be cheaper than a full V160 conversion.

I love my manual and any manual I can find regardless of how inferior it is to modern technology but DCTs are so far the best successor to the manual gearbox if speed and efficiency are what you want most.

They test a car with USDM stock twin turbos @ 400hp and found the limit of the stock DCT clutches was 596hp/450tq. Supposedly with upgrades to the gearbox they are capable of 1,000hp. The rear end required is a 3.266:1, same as the V160. This company also states they have a 2.9:1 rear option as well (Never heard of that ratio for the 200mm diffs??).

Heresy, perhaps but I think this is pretty cool!

Thoughts?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...DTC-in-a-supra

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-04-15 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 08:32 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice ... but at the end of the day , the price is astronomical man... Way above even new 6speed / v160 drive train territory if you have to buy all the accessories needed ... aside from the fact that it has not been done and tested for long with high +1000rwhp hp MKIVS.

How is your project going on ? Completed all the parts you need ?
Old 10-05-15, 08:29 PM
KahnBB6

Well... it's an interesting curiosity then. I'm going to keep an eye on how the community reacts to it.

Project is still going, there just hasn't been much to update lately. I've had some other expenses and work come up lately that's made things slower. I have about 90% of the parts needed. Still odds and ends to buy like a TT alternator, headgasket, ARP head bolts, a Southbend clutch and some other bits.

But right now the main thing I'm waiting to hear back on is if Panic Wire will be building me a harness or not. Was in touch with them around late August and they had a lot on their plate until mid September. I exchanged emails with them last week to lock in a spot in their schedule but haven't heard back yet.

After that: fully rebuild GTE head (I only have the original disorganized valvetrain at the moment) and rebuild the USDM turbos.

Then it's figuring out how and where to assemble everything. And whether or not I want to find a second block to build or take the car down and find other transportation for a while.
Old 10-12-15, 02:19 PM
KahnBB6

For the sake of loosely related information, this popped up on SF as well. Research into the IS-F's 8-Speed automatic being swapped into an MKIV.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...v-Supra-SRD-UK

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...d-Build/page12