Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear unstable in rain on bumps. Stock plus Torsen/R154

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 07:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Rear unstable in rain on bumps. Stock plus Torsen/R154

Hi,
I drove my NA/T project for the first time today in the rain. I drove like a Granny and stayed clear of boost RPM's. I noticed the car tracked fine on smooth roads but It felt like the rear was all over the road on bumps in the rain. It tracks straight over bumps on dry pavement. It feels like it is sliding left and right over bumps.
The car has BC racing coilovers. All new front end parts and bushings etc. but the rear suspension has had nothing done except the coilovers. The bushings and control arms are stock with 70K miles on them.
I have a bad Torsen but i don't think that is part of this issue.

What keeps the rear of my car tracking straight over bumps? Whatever this is must be failing.

Just last week i noticed the car was pulling left on boost. We tightened a REALLY loose bolt on the rear control arm and it stopped pulling. This feels similar but pulls/slides both ways over bumps.

All this is while driving incredibly slowly to work today. It did not inspire confidence so I drove accordingly.
Old 10-02-15, 01:31 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

do you have good tires with good thread ? sh?tty tires will get you all over the place in a wet pavement... NO TRACTION !

and why the hell is this on suspension and brakes section ? I can move it for you not unless you want to discuss about its suspension and brakes ?

Last edited by gerrb; 10-02-15 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 05:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gerrb
do you have good tires with good thread ? sh?tty tires will get you all over the place in a wet pavement... NO TRACTION !

and why the hell is this on suspension and brakes section ? I can move it for you not unless you want to discuss about its suspension and brakes ?
Please do brother. I thought it might be a suspension part but id love it moved.

Thanks Gerrb.

PS: Tires are newish.
Old 10-02-15, 07:05 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might need to go to aftermarket adjustable rear toe control bars & traction bars to fine tune the rear alignment. But certain tread designs work good on dry roads but absoulutely suck in the rain under power because they don't shed the water & the tire doesn't make good contact with the pavement. Put a 80lb bag of concrete in the trunk & see if that changes things (centered)
Old 10-02-15, 08:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't remember if you said in the other threads if you've had the alignment done? Regardless, I'm sticking with my guess all the way to my death bed that it's an alignment issue. These cars are crazy sensitive to alignments in the rain, in my experience.
Old 10-02-15, 10:18 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
I don't remember if you said in the other threads if you've had the alignment done? Regardless, I'm sticking with my guess all the way to my death bed that it's an alignment issue. These cars are crazy sensitive to alignments in the rain, in my experience.
The other threads are for a different problem. The problem in the rain I hope will be cured by alignment. I'd love a tie in but they feel totally different. This rain issue is only on bumps and I read it may be toe. We will see. The other issue was really peculiar feeling. Like someone was twisting it to the left and to the left only with a distinct snap back to center after i let off. This is the car sliding left and right erratically over bumps, when roads are wet. This one goes totally when it is dry out.
I will say though, if I also have an alignment problem, I would suspect it made the loose LCA behave even crazier. Glad i saw no rain while it was like that. Could have been a deadly combo as today was hairy as hell in the rain, and that's with the LCA tightened.
Old 10-03-15, 07:47 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
The other threads are for a different problem.
I will say though, if I also have an alignment problem, I would suspect it made the loose LCA behave even crazier.
Exactly, different but related. I wasn't questioning that the LCA was the culprit, rather the symptoms led me to believe something else was going on simultaneously.
Old 10-03-15, 11:12 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
Exactly, different but related. I wasn't questioning that the LCA was the culprit, rather the symptoms led me to believe something else was going on simultaneously.
Then you were absolutely on point!
Old 10-05-15, 08:52 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Alignment and new tires fixed my squirmy butt in the rain.