Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cap PS vacuum hoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 08:01 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cap PS vacuum hoses

Team, I purchased a new shorter high pressure PS line that has SS fittings on each end. However, this custom line requires you to modify the vacuum hoses and remove specific sensors. Here's a blurb from the seller:

The stock line on the MKIV Supra has a sensor on each end of the hose, adding to the expense of replacing it using factory parts. These 2 sensors, believe it or not, are not vital. One the pump side sensor is a vacuum sensor, which eliminating has zero ramifications - simply plug the hoses going to it and be done with that side. The rack side sensor is a pressure sensor which has to do with the variable power steering. This is what makes the steering a little stiffer at higher speeds and lighter at lower speeds. Unplugging and eliminating this sensor disables that system (no warning lights are generated as it has it's own controller separate from the ECU), with the result being the steering is a little heavier in slow driving such as parking lots. Most owners are OK to simply accept this as the "cost" of upgrading the hose and eliminating that sensor, while saving hundreds of dollars over the factory line and sensors!

Give me some insight if any of you've removed the factory pressure line before. What did you use to "plug" the vacuum hoses. I'd like to replace my leaking pump this weekend and install this new line. Has anyone noticed a huge impact if the variable power steering speed sensor is removed?

Thanks,
Tabaka
Old 06-26-15, 05:22 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No difference with out the vacuum assist. Cap them off, and drive.