Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95 SC300 Starts Sometimes But not all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 12:17 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SC300 Starts Sometimes But not all the time.

So as the title says, i was going to a friends house and went to start up the lexus and it fired right up no problems at all. I drove it to my friends house and was there for about 4 hours. I went to start it back up and leave and all it wanted to do it crank like it was going to start but wouldn't start. The car did sit for 6 to 7 months and has a brand new battery. I tried resetting the ecu and the fuel pump like the manual says with no luck. I also put new gas in the car before i finally got it to start and the car ran perfect all the way home. The next day i went back to me friends house with no problems until i went to leave again and it wouldn't start, it would crank but it wouldn't start. The car also doesn't shift into over drive and the rpm/mph on the dashboard wont work sometimes unless you smack the dashboard then it will start to work. These are my problems, any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
Old 06-14-15, 12:36 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I would start with the ECU. Some of the problems sound like they could be attributed to that. If you haven't had the ECU's capacitors serviced yet, they're probably bad by now. They may have leaked and done damage to the circuit board while the car sat for those 6-7 months.
Old 06-14-15, 12:55 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
I would start with the ECU. Some of the problems sound like they could be attributed to that. If you haven't had the ECU's capacitors serviced yet, they're probably bad by now. They may have leaked and done damage to the circuit board while the car sat for those 6-7 months.
Is this for the rpm/mph problem? Thanks
Old 06-14-15, 01:49 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Probably not. I think I've seen something from Tanin saying there's a common gauge cluster problem that can be addressed, but I wouldn't rule out anything of the sort being caused by the ECU. Figure it'll need to be serviced before long if it hasn't already, so better to get that unknown out of the way first.
Old 06-14-15, 01:58 PM
antonios32
Rookie

Originally Posted by Reef13
So as the title says, i was going to a friends house and went to start up the lexus and it fired right up no problems at all. I drove it to my friends house and was there for about 4 hours. I went to start it back up and leave and all it wanted to do it crank like it was going to start but wouldn't start. The car did sit for 6 to 7 months and has a brand new battery. I tried resetting the ecu and the fuel pump like the manual says with no luck. I also put new gas in the car before i finally got it to start and the car ran perfect all the way home. The next day i went back to me friends house with no problems until i went to leave again and it wouldn't start, it would crank but it wouldn't start. The car also doesn't shift into over drive and the rpm/mph on the dashboard wont work sometimes unless you smack the dashboard then it will start to work. These are my problems, any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
My dad had a 94 LS400 (RIP) and he had a 2013 RX350 F(Sold for an S3). He drove his Lexus when he was in town but most of the time he would be out of town due to work and what not. Since you said you kept the car in the garage for 6-7 months, that's a bad idea. My mom would run his car for about 10-15 minutes every 2 days so if there is a problem, she would know. Then in 2013 a week before it got totaled, the timing belt went out. We had to buy a new one and replace it which might be a problem? I doubt that is your problem but if your timing belt is old, you might want to replace that.
Old 06-14-15, 04:35 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
Probably not. I think I've seen something from Tanin saying there's a common gauge cluster problem that can be addressed, but I wouldn't rule out anything of the sort being caused by the ECU. Figure it'll need to be serviced before long if it hasn't already, so better to get that unknown out of the way first.
Oh I see, so if I took it to a Lexus dealer and it was something in the gauge cluster going bad and the ecu capacitors we're going bad how much would that cost to replace? Thanks for the input!
Old 06-14-15, 06:29 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Will a broken key stop the car from starting? The solder point between the card inside the key and the key itself is broke.
Old 06-14-15, 08:00 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Cluster needles moving is a separate issue. We can fix that.

May or may not be the ECU. Could also be the fuel pump "ecu/relay" thing.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-14-15, 10:12 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaninAuto

Ahh okay thank you! Where is the relay?I have a update. I fixed the key and the car locks and unlocks now. When cranking a sprayed starter fluid in the air line and it turned over for about 2 seconds and died. Any suggestions? Bad fuel? It sat for seven months but just the other day I put 1/4 tank of gas in it and drove it for 30 minutes and then shut it off. I went to start it again with no luck
Old 06-14-15, 10:13 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

You're just running in circles until the ECU is diagnosed.

Fuel pump thing looks like this.

I guess it commonly fails although I'm not certain of the symptoms.
Old 06-14-15, 10:35 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Okay! I will have to have a dealer look at that lol. The fuel ecu main relay is working okay also!
Old 06-16-15, 02:35 PM
Reef13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaninAuto

Do I have to send you my old one or how does the process work?
Old 06-16-15, 02:56 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Yes, you would send your original ECU for rebuild. Check out the link below:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/1...ecu_repair.htm
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-17-15, 06:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

DO THIS!! (12 Volt mod)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html
Reach out to members in your area to find a great SC mechanic. Stop going to dealer for everything. They will never do things like this ^. They will replace your whole fuel system.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-20-15 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 09:44 PM
LEXUSver
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a '92 SC300 and hopefully the following problem description is brief enough for you to understand what I did. Using the DIAGNOSTIC PORT in the engine bay, I placed a jumper between FP and +B TERMINALS. This bypassed the FP ECU, taking it out-of-the circuit. I've been driving the car for almost a month now without any issues. I am one of those who avoid modifications on my car not unless there is absolute need for it. There is alternative way to do it but it requires more work. 1. Disconnect the Negative side of the Battery. 2. Unplug the Fuel Pump ECU. 3. Cut both GREEN and BLACK/RED wires and solder together. So as you can see, the first procedure is simple and much quicker that removing the rear seat and side panel has been eliminated. Well, whichever one you used the result is basically the same.

PROBLEM: CAR FAILED TO START
SYMPTOMS/INDICATIONS: STARTER CRANKS INDICATING THAT MY BATTERY, STARTING MOTOR AND ASSOCIATED COMPONENTS IN THE STARTING CIRCUIT WERE OK.
FINDING(S): FUEL PUMP ECU DEFECTIVE.

Last edited by LEXUSver; 06-19-15 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 SC300 Starts Sometimes But not all the time.