Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Q? Catalyst Clogged?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 07:07 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q? Catalyst Clogged? 2JZGE OBD1

Can I have some feed back and opinions on my issue?
My check engine light came on. The car started stuttering before the light came on and the car smells like raw gas.

2JZGE OBD1

Last edited by LEXOWINO; 05-22-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 06:26 AM
TokinSC400
Rookie

it sounds more like you have a firing issue. Check all your plugs, wires, caps. If it was your cat it would smell like rotten eggs, not raw fuel. to get the raw fuel smell you're either running real rich or you're not burning all the fuel.
Old 05-21-15, 07:54 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TokinSC400
it sounds more like you have a firing issue. Check all your plugs, wires, caps. If it was your cat it would smell like rotten eggs, not raw fuel. to get the raw fuel smell you're either running real rich or you're not burning all the fuel.
Yep it's this.
You'll want to start simple, inspect the easiest stuff first.

So I'd look at the cap and rotor first, if they look good I'd check spark plugs next, if you've never replaced them, I'd suggest just replacing your plugs and wires when you go in if it's an SC300 as getting down to the spark plugs can be labor intensive since the intake is in the way. If it's an SC400 it's possibly an ignitor is no longer working. Those are easy to test, just remove the wire from one igniter and see if it starts, if it does then remove the wire from the other igniter and connect the other one and see if it starts. If it doesnt start one way or the other it means the igniter thats connected is blown and needs to be replaced.

After cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and igniter, I'd pull the ECU and take off the cover to inspect it for any obvious damage or leaking capacitors. After that I don't really know what the next step would be to stop the car from running rich/missing spark. But most likely you're just missing spark, and if they haven't been replaced its more than likely a fouled/old spark plug or deteriorating distributor rotor/cap.
Old 05-22-15, 06:14 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Thank you for your feed back.

The issue is occurring on a 2JZGE OBD1

I think it may be the capacitors on the factory Ignition and fuel management computer.

Truthfully since the car died out at the burger joint drive thru and it smells of fuel I think it make be the capacitors.

Thank you Ill send my to computer to be soldered with proper capacitors.

Would a 2JZGE have ignitor issues as well?
I'm sure Ill have to replace the sparkplugs soon.
Old 10-07-15, 06:32 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

After replacing the caps the fuel odor went away how ever the misfiring is still occuring I doubt its the cats since they would be generating heat and the car would probably not drive at all.

I just now got around to tinkering with the car again and will report if the issue goes away after replacing some ignition parts. Thanks ill update soon.