Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 Transmission slipping after Its warmed up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 05:39 AM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 Transmission slipping after Its warmed up?

Forum newbie
Im a former bimmer finatic
but when i read about these cars I was swayed to find one and i did just that.
Unfortunately It had been a bit mis treated the drivers fender was smashed and the drivers door was pushed back a bit
& The previous owner also told me " the transmission just went out while he was driving it he went to fire it up and due to the varnish in the tank it wouldnt stay running for more than 6seconds . I now have it cleaned out I started it and it sounded like a new car no ticks no rattles just a little power steering whine. The car bumped right into gear & I naturally took it down my road and back but as i was doubling back it started to slip and once i got it in the driveway and put it into park, I had nothing.... until the next cold start, what could be causing this wierd issue?
Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated!

Cory

Last edited by sleepersc4; 02-11-15 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 06:03 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Check level, drain, examine and re-fill fluid and report back what fluid looks like and level. Start with the cheapest possible fixes.
Old 02-11-15, 06:45 AM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Check levetransmissionain, examine and re-fill fluid and report back what fluid looks like and level. Start with the cheapest possible fixes.
Guess if the gas tank and injectors were gummy the transmission fluid could also be dirty, Ill check it tonight and give an update on what it looks like , eventually I want to go manual but Im not solid on what swap I want to do. So If this is not an easy fix that will be my next step. I refuse to buy an automatic trans.
Old 02-11-15, 06:53 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Moved to maintenance.

How many miles? Sounds to me like you're due for a tranny fluid and filter change.
Old 02-11-15, 07:05 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I'd swap also if it fails. With regard to what tranny to swap to, the V160, CD009, R154 are all overkill for a 1UZ unless you have unlimited funds, even the VVTI. The W58 is much cheaper, super smooth and reliable up to about 350 ft lb of torque (or so I read, research this further). Most manual, V8 Soarers in Australia use the W58.

Hope your 340 is OK..
Old 02-11-15, 02:43 PM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Moved to maintenance.

How many miles? Sounds to me like you're due for a tranny fluid and filter change.
Only 116xxx miles thats why I couldnt see the transmission being bad. Thanks.
Old 02-11-15, 02:45 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by sleepersc4
Only 116xxx miles thats why I couldnt see the transmission being bad. Thanks.
It is possible that the 340 tranny fails at 116k IF abused or not taken care of, but still extremely rare given the reliability of these cars. Once you perform a flush, I'd also look into the ECU.
Old 02-11-15, 02:46 PM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I'd swap also if it fails. With regard to what tranny to swap to, the V160, CD009, R154 are all overkill for a 1UZ unless you have unlimited funds, even the VVTI. The W58 is much cheaper, super smooth and reliable up to about 350 ft lb of torque (or so I read, research this further). Most manual, V8 Soarers in Australia use the W58.

Hope your 340 is OK..
I was wondering if the w58 could be used because its shifter location and it would seem likr i could get away with using my driveline. I will do some more research. But this is exactly the info i was looking for ! Thanks
Old 02-11-15, 05:15 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I was wondering if the w58 could be used because its shifter location and it would seem likr i could get away with using my driveline. I will do some more research. But this is exactly the info i was looking for ! Thanks
Almost ALL manual swapped Sc400's use the W58. It's perfect for the job and has the most support.
Old 02-12-15, 05:46 PM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Default Preparing for the worst hoping for the best!

I got the new fluid and filter today, I intend to let the car heat up , then pull the pan and replace the fluid in pan and repeat process once and then change fluid and filter on the third time.
I feel that doing so should get the majority of any debree that might be free floating before i change the filter inly to fill it again. If this does not work .
JdmW58 swap it is.
Old 02-12-15, 08:08 PM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Moved to maintenance.

Update; I removed pan and filter is a dark red brown color with black streaks and a sludge/oil substance on the bottom no solid or flakes though. Im filling pan with new fluid now
Old 02-12-15, 08:13 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Good Luck! Hope this works for you!
Old 02-12-15, 10:28 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Sounds like it definitely was due to be changed. Keep us posted on results!
Old 02-13-15, 01:01 PM
sleepersc4
Driver School Candidate

Changed the pan fluid and left the old filter she barked 2nd so I think thats a good sign Gonna pull it back down and change the fluid one more time and the filter & pray thats the last of my trans worries!
Old 02-13-15, 01:07 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Changed the pan fluid and left the old filter she barked 2nd so I think thats a good sign Gonna pull it back down and change the fluid one more time and the filter & pray thats the last of my trans worries!
Good idea. Maybe even 3 times if not perfected by the second try. Or maybe just use it as an excuse to get a W58!

Quick Reply: sc400 Transmission slipping after Its warmed up?