Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finished up my SC300 transmission service today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 12:08 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished up my SC300 transmission service today

The car has been parked a few months while I compiled my 1JZ/R154 parts because the auto tranny was slipping, then it ran fine for a while, then it would start slipping again, so I parked it.

Anyways, since my 300ZX had a dead injector and it was down, I decided I needed to band-aid the SC300 until spring when I did the swap. I bought a Duralast filter/gasket (cheapest option in case this didn't fix it) and ordered 4 quarts of Toyota ATF IV off Ebay to throw in it.

I got the filter and pan on yesterday, and the fluid came in today so I put 2 quarts in and started the car, shifted through all the gears and back and put it back in park. I checked the dipstick and it was registering a little under the cold mark. I let the car reach operating temperature and decided to take it out on its first voyage in a while. It wanted to slip a little backing out of the driveway, and slip a little and rev with no more acceleration (what it was previously doing) climbing a hill around my house but it seemed to get better towards the end so I figured why not test it fully? I drove it down the road to a church parking lot and then out, back up the hill to my house. It didn't seem to slip at all when I was giving it a little gas so I went down the other hill right by my house again, back down towards the church at the highway, then took it out on the main highway.

I got it up to 60, give or take a mph, and into a grocery store parking lot. Then back out onto the highway and gunned it a little, it kept on accelerating to 60 with no signs of slippage. I maintained it at 60 for about a mile or mile and a half and got to a turn around. I went back towards my house, gunned it up a hill accelerating and it climbed to 60 with no problems or signs of slippage. It maintained 60 going that way for a mile and a half to my street, and once again had no problems climbing my hill to my house.

However, once I got it home I checked the fluid level and it was reading more at cold level instead of hot, so I put about 1/2 of another quart in and let it settle for a minute, pulled the dipstick, wiped it clean, then re-inserted it to check and now the damn level is reading WAY up past hot. I let it sit another minute figuring there was still some fluid draining down in the tube itself, then checked again and still reading high.

Is there just a really small difference in the amount of fluid between hot and cold? Because I didn't put a whole lot in and it jumped way up. I'm going to let it cool back down, fire it up later and check the level at cold then see if it gets me to the Subway about 4 miles away and back for dinner, then check it when I get back home.
Old 12-10-14, 12:44 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

You check the tranny oil level with the motor running. once the engine stops the level would read a bit higher.
Old 12-10-14, 01:08 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was with the engine running. I forgot I had the Supra service manual on my computer so I checked its auto section, apparently cold is just for a baseline guess if it's right or not when not running and to let it warm up and check. I'll let it cool off and check it again and see what it's like, then start it up, let it idle and warm up and then check while it's running again later. If only the damn fluid wasn't slinging up half of the dipstick throwing the reading off lol

Edit: Checked it while cold and engine off a few minutes ago, fluid level shows it's up at where warm should be when running. Drove it a couple miles up the road to the grocery store and back, not a single problem is evident. I let it run for a minute to settle in the dipstick tube to check the trans fluid when I got home, and while it's still showing fluid all up along the edge of the stick past warm, it's all the way across the dipstick just below the lowest level for warm.

Last edited by Matt300ZXT; 12-10-14 at 03:15 PM.