Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 transmission running GREAT! Brown color, though.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 05:37 PM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 transmission running GREAT! Brown color, though.

Guys,
It's Oscar, and this is my first post having just joined today.
Bought a 92 SC400 (stock). Had 102k miles. Most systems working except for: dash lights (I am picking up from dealer tomorrow), the idle-up power steering sender valve (couldn't get it off) AND the radiator (already replaced it). Not a bad trade-off for spending $3k on it.
Question: my transmission is running like a champ! But the fluid is reddish-brown (more brown than red; the service records show NO transmission service whatsoever). Should I do the little-by-little transmission drain with dropping the pan, changing the filter? Or should I leave it alone? Again, I have zero slippage, and I feel no problems with it. I already changed the transmission mount, btw. Oh, and I couldn't get the motor mount off, either... ;(
Anyway, your thoughts on the transmission or any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thank you!! God bless!
Old 10-24-14, 06:39 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

It should be reddish pink. Probably just starting to get dirty. If it doesn't smell burnt its fine. I wouldn't drop the pan but rather drain the fluid and replace it. Then again at the same time as your oil change. 3 or 4 of those and it will clean
Old 10-24-14, 10:15 PM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bankswood
It should be reddish pink. Probably just starting to get dirty. If it doesn't smell burnt its fine. I wouldn't drop the pan but rather drain the fluid and replace it. Then again at the same time as your oil change. 3 or 4 of those and it will clean
Thank you, Banks! I think that's what I'll do even though I have the new filter and gasket. I'll simply drain what's there and replace and keep an eye out. It does NOT smell burnt or anything. Any thoughts on getting the bolts off of the motor mount or the idle-up valve for the power steering?
Thanks again, and God bless!
Old 10-26-14, 07:54 PM
Z3RK
Driver School Candidate

Hey I am actually having the same issue with my tranny also BUT mine is smelling burnt. Just like oscar my transmission is running really good no slippage at all, but it does seem to be getting slower when I accelerate but I think this is also tranny related. My biggest problem with my tranny is when I tried to drain the fluids before the drain plug just spins in place and doesn't come off and I can't seem to find a replacement pan anywhere. Do you guys know where I can find one and also what do you think I should do because my fluid smells really burnt. Btw I have a 96 SC400 with 134k thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-14, 07:32 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

If you can't find a pan IMMEDIATELY then you need to go ahead and pull the old pan off. Replace the filter and add as much new atf as possible. May want to add some sort of additive also. Then hunt like hell for a replacement pan. Check the junkyards. Once you find one pull the old pan off and replace and add more new atf. Hopefully there has been no damage.

Another option is to take it to reputable repair shop. They can do a complete drain / flush and possibly save your old pan.
Old 10-29-14, 08:26 PM
Z3RK
Driver School Candidate

If you can't find a pan IMMEDIATELY then you need to go ahead and pull the old pan off. Replace the filter and add as much new atf as possible. May want to add some sort of additive also. Then hunt like hell for a replacement pan. Check the junkyards. Once you find one pull the old pan off and replace and add more new atf. Hopefully there has been no damage.

Another option is to take it to reputable repair shop. They can do a complete drain / flush and possibly save your old pan.
Yea thats exactly what I did. I took off the pan and drained the fluid that was in there but before I did that I added some Seafoam Transtune to clean it out. It cleaned it out very well. I found a pan from a company called Toyolex they sell OEM parts for a good price and the price they gave for the pan was really good. I was thinking about taking it to a transmission shop but I don't want to flush it cuz then that's when MORE issues start to happen I know that for a fact. I already got a new filter just waiting for the new pan once I get that I'm going to do a more consistent drain and fill until it's clean.

Quick question after I drained the fluid and added new fluids I started the car and let it run a bit. I noticed that fluid level is low but after it sits for a while I saw that it rises but I know that should be in reverse or am I just getting that mixed up?
Old 10-30-14, 03:50 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Always check level while the car is running and up to temp. The level will look high because no fluid is circulating when the car is shut off.
Old 11-03-14, 02:03 PM
Z3RK
Driver School Candidate

Always check level while the car is running and up to temp. The level will look high because no fluid is circulating when the car is shut off.
Ok cool I thought I was checking it incorrectly thanks.