Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why isn't there an NA section?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 12:02 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Arrow Why isn't there an NA section?

I think we should have an NA section for the members who are on a budget and can't afford to turbocharge or swap engines right now and have no choice but to keep the car all motor. And so this is the reason for this thread
Old 09-29-14, 12:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Or just split up Performance and Maintenance. I've never quite understood that pairing and how Maintenance differs from the main SC forum.
Old 09-29-14, 12:53 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
I think we should have an NA section for the members who are on a budget and can't afford to turbocharge or swap engines right now and have no choice but to keep the car all motor. And so this is the reason for this thread
Cause aside from the high dollar n/a setups using ITB's and high compression, there arent many options unfortunately aside from headers, intakes, BFI's....err, thats all I can think of.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Or just split up Performance and Maintenance. I've never quite understood that pairing and how Maintenance differs from the main SC forum.
You have to do maintenance before doing performance, and higher performance requires more maintinance. Thus they coincide
Old 09-29-14, 01:21 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^ on point
Old 09-29-14, 05:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I agree with trubodremz More Performance requires more maintenance.

Supraforums has an NA section and while it doesn't get as much traffic as the other sub-forums on their site it's always active and it pertains more to owners taking their MKIV's to the track. The SC is a different case due to the added weight and further softened feel from the factory in what is usually a daily driven car. The SF NA forum still gets questions about NA->NA-T or NA->TT conversion or "how much do I have to spend to make XXX NA horsepower" and the responses are pretty much the same. The Stateside ITB Supra has a thread in there though, and that is a very good read.

Not to say there is no performance in a modified NA SC. There is, apart from chasing horsepower numbers but it forces the focus of such pursuits to focus on fine tuning the chassis. The question I would ask is this: if we had an NA SC section would most SC owners be asking how to make NA horsepower numbers or would they be focusing on other aspects of how their cars drive for the street, track or whatever?

There are absolutely several scenarios which would keep an SC owner from pursuing a turbo setup: high cost for the given pocketbook, local emissions or tampering rules, complexity or perhaps a lack of knowhow. Some folks may not be interested in getting into the horsepower game and just like their cars but then I'd reason their engine-related questions would better fall into the "Maintenance (and Performance)" section.

Edit: Contrasting the SF NA forum with questions in this thread had me thinking mostly of JZ cars. The 1UZ SC's are a different case stock for stock as are LSx swapped SC's. All NA depending on the engine or state of tune and all capable of more horsepower per dollar than an NA JZ SC300. Care to comment on V8 SC's in this case, Turbodremz?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-29-14 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 05:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
You have to do maintenance before doing performance, and higher performance requires more maintinance. Thus they coincide
Yeah, but many maintenance items have nothing to do with performance in the sense you're thinking. There's a big difference between routine maintenance and performance maintenance, for lack of a better term. I think that's why posts are frequently made in the wrong place and require moderator attention to move them here.
Old 09-29-14, 06:00 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
Yeah, but many maintenance items have nothing to do with performance in the sense you're thinking. There's a big difference between routine maintenance and performance maintenance, for lack of a better term. I think that's why posts are frequently made in the wrong place and require moderator attention to move them here.
All maintenance has everything to do with performance, even in stock form, and same applied the other way around. If your bushings and shocks are blown, the performance of the stock vehicle is not up to par and requires maintenance..right? An na-t or gte car has a rear main leak, the performance can be affected and requires maintenance to prevent a loss in performance..right? Preventative maintenance is there to maintain performance is it not? Routine maintenance and preventative work toward the same goal of maintaining performance even in stock form.

it ALL goes hand in hand from stock to 1500rwhp. Those posting in the wrong section are doing so based on other reasons that I wont step on toes or hurt feelings for. The words "performance" and "maintenance" still have a separate meaning, but you cannot have one without the other in any way shape or form.

As for there being a dedicated n/a section, where is there a dedicated turbo/fi section here on CL? N/A power is still performance is it not? N/A cars still require maintenance right? Along side the turbo owners who post their questions in the maintenance and performance section without hesitation, whats wrong with the n/a guys doing the same? I see no need to split the forums subsections more than they are, this isnt kindergarten where everything needs to be spelled out and handed to us. Cant find a thread, or specific information? Thats why there are more than 3 ways to search on CL. Standard big red search button which does a general search of the forums, the search this section selection, and advanced search functions to apply keywords, such as n/a performance or n/a power. And all of these search functions can be broken down by model, and model subforums.
Old 09-29-14, 06:06 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I agree with trubodremz More Performance requires more maintenance.

Supraforums has an NA section and while it doesn't get as much traffic as the other sub-forums on their site it's always active and it pertains more to owners taking their MKIV's to the track. The SC is a different case due to the added weight and further softened feel from the factory in what is usually a daily driven car. The SF NA forum still gets questions about NA->NA-T or NA->TT conversion or "how much do I have to spend to make XXX NA horsepower" and the responses are pretty much the same. The Stateside ITB Supra has a thread in there though, and that is a very good read.

Not to say there is no performance in a modified NA SC. There is, apart from chasing horsepower numbers but it forces the focus of such pursuits to focus on fine tuning the chassis. The question I would ask is this: if we had an NA SC section would most SC owners be asking how to make NA horsepower numbers or would they be focusing on other aspects of how their cars drive for the street, track or whatever?

There are absolutely several scenarios which would keep an SC owner from pursuing a turbo setup: high cost for the given pocketbook, local emissions or tampering rules, complexity or perhaps a lack of knowhow. Some folks may not be interested in getting into the horsepower game and just like their cars but then I'd reason their engine-related questions would better fall into the "Maintenance (and Performance)" section.

Edit: Contrasting the SF NA forum with questions in this thread had me thinking mostly of JZ cars. The 1UZ SC's are a different case stock for stock as are LSx swapped SC's. All NA depending on the engine or state of tune and all capable of more horsepower per dollar than an NA JZ SC300. Care to comment on V8 SC's in this case, Turbodremz?

^^I kind of miss my n/a 2JZ and na-t setup ...but would never own an SC400 based on problematic threads that are a dime-a-dozen. But dont get me wrong 400 owners, when the 1UZ is performing properly due to well kept maintenance, it is a performer. But for the LSx powered SC in n/a form and not needing a standalone for major modifications such as boost, Im happy with my decision even with it n/a