Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BMW gearbox + 2jz ; anyone stateside done this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 07:21 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sachs 765 pressure plate wont work.

Sachs 243 was recommended to me by PMC, which is the E46 M3 Heavy Duty pressure plate..so it looks like the E46 M3 pressure plates are the ones to use..which gives you a lot of options and all sorts of torque capacity ranges..
Old 02-25-16, 03:09 PM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Spent some time on the phone with South Bend Clutch yesterday and here are the results..

SBC suspects the 243 pressure plate is a 23-2400lb clamp load, which would put it equivalent with their Stage 3 pressure plate, so..here are the disc options for the Stage 3

Ceramic Full Face 660tq
Feramic Full Face 600tq
6 Puck Ceramic 700tq

They would be willing to test a pressure plate if I sent it to them to confirm the clamp load on it.

Discs are $375 for the full face units..not sure on the puck discs.
Old 11-09-16, 01:39 PM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Just to bump this..I am finally going to get moving with my swap in the next couple of weeks as the car is coming apart for a rearend build anyway. I haven't needed to do this sooner since my R154 was taking the 500+wtq that I was giving it, haha.

Here is what I have/am using (mind you this is going into a E36 M3):

PMC JZ to BMW Adapter Kit (the one piece AL flywheel version that uses a stock Toyota auto flexplate)
Sachs 243 Pressure Plate
SouthBend Clutch Full Face Ceramic Disc
Stock BMW Hardware elsewhere
E46 M3 Getrag 420g 6-speed Gearbox (Inline-6 versions are the only ones that work with this kit)
E36 3.2 EVO M3 Shifter Assembly/Housing/Linkage (I may need to modify this to center the shifter..tbd)
Custom Driveshaft

I will make a thread once I begin fitting it.
Old 01-28-17, 04:15 PM
saidien
Driver School Candidate

Default GS6-53BZ into 1992 SC300 project update

The title is a bit misleading but I wanted to let everybody know that there hasn't really been any progress on my part with this project. Bret Collins is still working on getting a kit together for this transmission/2jz combo. I have had quite a lot of personal issues going on the past year so I haven't been in a rush to jump into this project anyhow (I have even thought about selling the car). As soon as things start to happen I will surely start posting pics and info.
Old 01-29-17, 06:41 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

I have begun fitting this PMC kit to my 2jz with the pieces listed above in my previous post.

I will post pictures tonight of my progress but here are a couple notes so far.

I had to space the starter out about 1/4" with spacers between the block and spacer otherwise the starter would not retract i was told..which is odd since all of that is using oem Toyota parts. I am going to install the starter without any spacers and see if the starter will turn it over and retract. I installed is with the spacers per suggestions of others initially.

Next..the PMC kit has two sets of holes for the gas transmissions and diesel. Make sure you use the correct set of holes...the diesel boxes are mounted at more of an angle (10 degrees I think).

I am using an open faced starter which is what you need otherwise I think the shroud on the starter will not fit the adapter plate..?

The 420g with the shifter carrier and linkage measures 28" from the face of the bellhousing to the shifter. With my engine placement I will have to cut about 3" out of the linkage and carrier to center the shifter. That said..my engine is as far back as possible in my e36 and the adapter plate adds ~3/4".

You must use the factory toyota spacer between the flex plate and crank.

The BMW pilot bearing fit perfectly for the 2jz crank and the input shaft adapter that is used to extend the input shaft to reach the 2jz pilot bearing location.
Old 03-22-17, 03:09 PM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Updating this..

I have now put about 35 miles on my setup and it is felling really nice. I had to reinstall the clutch disk with the extended side of the hub toward the engine. The 243 pressure plate has a very light feel to it, and the southbend disk is very street friendly. I bought a billet aluminum shift carrier and we were able to shorten it a couple of inches and it locates the shifter very well. I am using a shortened 2 piece E46 M3 driveshaft for this setup, but mind you..this is in an E36. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you guys have any questions on doing a bmw box behind your 2jz!

John
Old 04-08-17, 03:55 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Updating this..

I have now put about 35 miles on my setup and it is felling really nice. I had to reinstall the clutch disk with the extended side of the hub toward the engine. The 243 pressure plate has a very light feel to it, and the southbend disk is very street friendly. I bought a billet aluminum shift carrier and we were able to shorten it a couple of inches and it locates the shifter very well. I am using a shortened 2 piece E46 M3 driveshaft for this setup, but mind you..this is in an E36. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you guys have any questions on doing a bmw box behind your 2jz!

John
NICE!!! Couple questions I have, the adapter added about 3/4" added length so how'd you get the transmission mounts to line up to the body? Also, I want to do this in an SC as I've only seen these swaps done in BMW's, but I am not sure about how to go about the shifter situation.

I like the E46 M3 boxes but those seem to be costly as well. Was leaning more towards a N54 07/08 box.
Old 04-08-17, 04:06 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly, for the amount of money you will be investing on 2JZ-to-BMW Transmission kits and maintenance, you might as well go the T56 Magnum route.

Don't get me wrong, the BMW boxes are nice, Getrag infact....however, considering their cost used and all that goes with the integration to a 2JZ and not to mention the "what if it happens" factor, and your looking at a high dollar swap present and future.

Get into a T56 magnum if you can 2yrs from now, when other are scouring the market for Getrag parts, you will have a plethora of vendors supporting your T56 trans.

Last edited by LexIS007; 04-09-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 01:35 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Honestly, for the amount of money you will be investing on 2JZ-to-BMW Transmission kits and maintenance, you might as well go the T56 Magnum route.

Don't get me wrong, the BMW boxes are nice, Getrag infact....however, considering their cost used and all that goes with the integration to a 2JZ and not to mention the "what if it happens" factor, and your looking at a high dollar swap present and future.

Get into a T56 magnum if you can 2yrs from now, when other are scouring the market for Getrag parts, you will have a plethora of vendors supporting your T56 trans.
Your comments have merit.

In the spirit of this thread this has grown into a research and development project for those who are pushing to make this a worthwhile endeavor for others, posts like yours have been made several times over in this thread and similar threads like it, there's nothing wrong with them but it gets redundant.

I happen to have a CD009 and a E46 5 speed sitting in my garage and have been torn between the two, I really like the compactness of the BMW transmission and the ease of relocating the shifter, but now that Collins has released the A340 adapter it's pulling me in different directions. Thanks to this thread I may finally make a decision this summer on which direction to go.
Old 04-11-17, 06:46 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
NICE!!! Couple questions I have, the adapter added about 3/4" added length so how'd you get the transmission mounts to line up to the body? Also, I want to do this in an SC as I've only seen these swaps done in BMW's, but I am not sure about how to go about the shifter situation.

I like the E46 M3 boxes but those seem to be costly as well. Was leaning more towards a N54 07/08 box.
I had to fabricate a transmission crossmember for it. It really wasn't difficult. We did it in an evening with a torch, vise, hammer, and a welder. The 420g box (e46 m3) is ~1200-1500 bucks, but I got a great deal on a converted SMG box, which allows me to now buy SMG boxes, should I need to replace it, which cost in the 5-700 dollar range.

A t56 Magnum transmission is at least as expensive as a 420g gearbox, and you still need all of the same pieces to fit it to a 2jz (adapter plate/housing, TOB, clutch, mount, etc..) so I am not sure where you think the BMW gearbox swap is more expensive that a T56 setup present and future..

Originally Posted by Reyke
Your comments have merit.

In the spirit of this thread this has grown into a research and development project for those who are pushing to make this a worthwhile endeavor for others, posts like yours have been made several times over in this thread and similar threads like it, there's nothing wrong with them but it gets redundant.

I happen to have a CD009 and a E46 5 speed sitting in my garage and have been torn between the two, I really like the compactness of the BMW transmission and the ease of relocating the shifter, but now that Collins has released the A340 adapter it's pulling me in different directions. Thanks to this thread I may finally make a decision this summer on which direction to go.
For basically anyone in the US that isn't swapping into a BMW..I would go CD009 because of the above reason. I think the major obstacle for people like me was the shear size of the CD009, but the A340 bellhousing adapter would alleviate this issue for most (though I don't know if it would for my E36). All of the shifter mounting, the driveshaft, etc..a lot of that is just easier to use for me, being that it is a BMW using BMW stuff..

FWIW, I have put about 100 miles on the car and it has seen a little boost. I am super happy with the swap thus far and my new gearing! I see about 2200rpm in 6th at 65mph on my little bitty 245/40/17 rear tire.
Old 04-11-17, 11:06 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

A t56 Magnum transmission is at least as expensive as a 420g gearbox, and you still need all of the same pieces to fit it to a 2jz (adapter plate/housing, TOB, clutch, mount, etc..) so I am not sure where you think the BMW gearbox swap is more expensive that a T56 setup present and future..
When that 420g grearbox takes a dump, it's not as cost effective to rebuild or replace as it is with a T56. Not to mention upgrades....when you want more boost, and can't do so because the stock 420g gears won't handle it. T56 transmissions are much easier and less costly to upgrade and rebuild in the event of failure.

Also, isn't the 420g manual transmission discontinued? If your comparing apples to apples (new T56 Magnum to new 420g, or used T56 Magnum to used 420g, etc...) you will in the end be paying less for a T56 Magnum swap, then you will be with a 420g. The clutch options and cost alone make the 420g swap less attractive.

To each his own...
Old 04-12-17, 06:53 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

When that 420g grearbox takes a dump, it's not as cost effective to rebuild or replace as it is with a T56. Not to mention upgrades....when you want more boost, and can't do so because the stock 420g gears won't handle it. T56 transmissions are much easier and less costly to upgrade and rebuild in the event of failure.

Also, isn't the 420g manual transmission discontinued? If your comparing apples to apples (new T56 Magnum to new 420g, or used T56 Magnum to used 420g, etc...) you will in the end be paying less for a T56 Magnum swap, then you will be with a 420g. The clutch options and cost alone make the 420g swap less attractive.

To each his own...
To each their own indeed..I am not saying the 420g swap is better than a T56, but parts of the above are questionably accurate.

You don't rebuild the 420g, you replace it. This might sound awful, but once you have the 6-speed non-smg bellhousing, you can buy SMG boxes for 5-700 bucks all day and swap bellhousings (which takes less than an hour). I don't know what a T56 Magnum costs to rebuild, but I would bet that it is not cheaper than that..

There are a few options for this trans swap which give a wide range of clutch options, from a OEM PP/disc to a triple disc Tilton, so saying you are not a fan of the clutch options doesn't make any sense..

Yes, the T56 Magnum is undoubtedly a stronger gearbox (the 420g seems to have issue ~800tq), it is also newer and came mated to much more powerful engines. It is a great gearbox..I just want people to know their options and the costs associated with them and my knowledge is the 420g.

Again, I am not saying not saying one is better than the other (though I did say using a Cd009 would be my choice for an SC), but I do not agree that the 420g swap would cost more upfront or in the long run than a T56 Magnum, unless you are making the power to mow through 420g boxes, in which case, you should have never picked that to begin with.
Old 04-13-17, 07:18 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

To each their own indeed..I am not saying the 420g swap is better than a T56, but parts of the above are questionably accurate.

You don't rebuild the 420g, you replace it. This might sound awful, but once you have the 6-speed non-smg bellhousing, you can buy SMG boxes for 5-700 bucks all day and swap bellhousings (which takes less than an hour). I don't know what a T56 Magnum costs to rebuild, but I would bet that it is not cheaper than that..

There are a few options for this trans swap which give a wide range of clutch options, from a OEM PP/disc to a triple disc Tilton, so saying you are not a fan of the clutch options doesn't make any sense..

Yes, the T56 Magnum is undoubtedly a stronger gearbox (the 420g seems to have issue ~800tq), it is also newer and came mated to much more powerful engines. It is a great gearbox..I just want people to know their options and the costs associated with them and my knowledge is the 420g.

Again, I am not saying not saying one is better than the other (though I did say using a Cd009 would be my choice for an SC), but I do not agree that the 420g swap would cost more upfront or in the long run than a T56 Magnum, unless you are making the power to mow through 420g boxes, in which case, you should have never picked that to begin with.
Agreed.

My point about the power handling capabilities about the T56 Magnum is not to compare what transmission is "better", because the Getrag's are by far the best transmissions in the world...smooth, quiet, reliable, etc... My point about the T56 Magnum was to show how you get piece of mind knowing you can push the car harder without replacing the transmission like with the 420G. Two totally different animals. Btw, I haven't seen a 420G (manual) go for anywhere less than $1000 used in "OK" shape....even the guys converting the SMG to manuals are paying close to a grand for "OK" condition SMG's.

Your right, the CD009 is by far the most cost-effective swap (new or used), problem with CD009 is the non-removable bell-housing. You have to hack up the transmission to get the kit to fit. However, depending on how much you give a ***** about your build, the T56 Magnum is (to date) the closest in comparison to the V160.

Last edited by LexIS007; 04-13-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-13-17, 08:05 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting back on track here, how much did the whole 420g setup cost you? Also, how are the gear ratios. I've heard the final gears are long
Old 11-10-18, 07:11 AM
KingK95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s1984
I have this BMW transmission -> JZ adapter plate sitting here.
I will take a proof picture later when i´m in the garage.

Because i will stay with a built ATFspeed auto i´m selling it.
If anyone is interested.

I´ve got made some flywheel spacers too, which moves the flywheel to the input shaft.
Because the input shaft will not reach the pilot bearing when not used.

But pictures will come this afternoon/ evening...
hi there, was wondering if you still had the spacers available or even the measurements?

Quick Reply: BMW gearbox + 2jz ; anyone stateside done this yet?