Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

throttle body/intake manifold issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 08:26 PM
esc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body/intake manifold issue

so im trying to tear down my top end to replace some old gaskets, but my throttle body wont come off i can see some sealant between the throttle body and intake any suggestion on getting these pieces separated?
Old 03-10-14, 09:04 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 2JZ? The TB on the 300 comes off that top part of the intake manifold pretty easily. There shouldn't be sealant, mine has a metal gasket in between.

Do you have all the hardware and both hoses OFF? 2 visible bolts on top, 2 nuts below, theres a coolant line on the left side of the TB and the vacuum line goes to the nipple beneath.

On a 1UZF, I cant help you there
Old 03-10-14, 09:08 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Judging by your username, it's an SC300.

If it is an SC400 (1UZ), I had a hell of a time getting mine off. There was a thick hose just beneath the TB that it's attached to. I basically had to manhandle the thing until it finally turned enough to get leverage to pull it off the hose. Unfortunately, the hose cracked on me. No big deal, since it was 20 years old and any parts store should have a matching size replacement. I bought one for $6 and cut it to fit in length. \

Still haven't put it back on yet. That's the part I'm dreading...
Old 03-11-14, 12:38 PM
esc300
Driver School Candidate

its a 2jzge i got it off turns out whoever did maintenance on the car before me must have not known much seeing as how there was no gaskets between anything im now stuck on removing the y pipe and manifold they are stuck with the same sealant its a real P.I.T.A thanks for your help guys much appreciated
Old 03-11-14, 01:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I got a motor where someone thought it would be a good idea to use rtv plus a busted old gasket instead of just a new gasket. It was a mess but it came right off so I think you have another issue.

are you sure you took all the bolts off the throttle body. stock there are the 2 long bolts on top, the 2 nuts that go onto the 2 long studs underneath, and if no one has ripped off the stupid o2 sensor bracket that also has 4 nuts that will sort of hold the throttle body in place if you don;t remove it.

So if your o2 sensor bracket is still on there remove the top 2 nuts (you can leave the bottom 2 that attach to the head to hold the bracket and sensor on) and then the throttle body will slide right out.

If it really is just the sealant holding it try the gasket remover stuff or some brake cleaner or some kind of chemical to soak it and try again later.
or a small soft dead blow hammer can get lots of parts off quick without damaging them too badly. One of my fav tools =)
Old 03-11-14, 02:11 PM
esc300
Driver School Candidate

i got the tb off now its just the y pipe and the intake manifold im gonna soak it and check back in
Old 03-11-14, 02:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can also take the Y pipe and the upper off at the same time (even the throttle body) if you unscrew the EGR pipe by the manifold and disconnect all the vac lines, coolant lines under throttle body, and remove the bolts for the upper manifold (if you removed that o2 sensor bracket already)
you can also unbolt the egr tube from the lower runner instead of unscrewing that large nut on the egr line (you kind of need a monkey wrench or pressure pliers) but its harder to get to those 2 bolts down there at the back of the lower runner by the firewall so other way may be easier.

The first time I do one I bypass the coolant lines and then its just a matter of pulling everything off the top of the motor, either at the Y pipe for working on coils or if valve covers needs working on I pull the whole upper manifold with everything at once, its just faster that way.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-11-14 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 02:54 PM
esc300
Driver School Candidate

is there a step by step diy on removing the upper and y pipe those are the only things stopping me from getting to my valve covers