Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

weird clicking/scratching/squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 06:15 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no Bueno, man.
I'd pull the wheel, pull the brake Caliper, and check the parking shoes.
I doubt that is it, though. I'm more prone to believing it a wheel bearing, or the axle. I definitely wouldn't be driving much on that.
Old 02-25-14, 06:35 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

damn this sucks, i need to get it fixed before saturday cz i got work. are any of the possible problems hard to fix?
Old 02-25-14, 07:09 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

talking to the guy that sold me the car says he replaced the bearings a year ago, the wheel is solid as a rock too, not a budge, so could it be the half shaft?
Old 02-26-14, 12:25 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
talking to the guy that sold me the car says he replaced the bearings a year ago, the wheel is solid as a rock too, not a budge, so could it be the half shaft?
Yes, it could very well be your axel/shaft..... any leaks or tears at the boots?
Old 02-26-14, 03:43 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

no, not that i can see. everything looks to be in very great condition, there is no visible damage or anything going on.
Old 02-27-14, 06:38 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

so my buddy took a look at the car, we took the caliper off and there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong. he thinks the tire is rubbing so im gonna raise the car or roll the fenders a little and if that doesn't work then ill just ignore the sound. there is absolutely nothing wrong. nothing would lead me to believe there is something wrong with the bearings because the wheel and lugs and shaft doesnt get warm, the axle is completely fine, no leaks, no tears, nothing at all is wrong.

the only thing we found was the brake pads were wearing weird, they seemed too big for the brake disc so they developed like a lip where they go around the disc, so we just scraped that lip down but still the sound is there so that's not it either. couldn't go to the shop today and it's too damn cold in chicago. so waiting for some nicer weather to take a more indepth look. this is pissing me off, it's really stupid lol
Old 02-27-14, 08:49 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sound is metal on metal, not rubber on something. it could very well be the brake Caliper is siezed, causing the weird wear and the sound.
Old 02-27-14, 08:50 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Lol weird! hmmm try maybe putting on a lift or jack up only the rear, start it and give it a little gas to see if you can hear where its coming from better?
Old 02-28-14, 04:53 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

It's definitely not the caliper, I took it off already and it's fine. If I jacked the car up and started it, it wouldn't make the sound cz there's no weight on the wheel. Even when I turn and the weight transfers to the other side then there is no sound at all.
Old 02-28-14, 02:18 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Well somehting is obviously wrong lol Just one way to find out, give it a try and jack it up..... if it only happens when there is weight on the wheel itself then that would eliminate certain things......

how is your suspension? How are your struts and springs they nice and firm and on correctly? Ive notied it made the sound in the video even when your slowed down or when you went faster the sound came and went.

Check your suspension.
Old 02-28-14, 05:10 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you know the caliper is fine? Did you check movement of the piston?
Old 02-28-14, 09:54 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

i have megan racing EZ street coilovers and yes those are fine. i'm gonna raise the car first and look at the caliper again to see if everything is moving fine. the disc is warm after driving the same as the other side so it is braking normally. gonna raise the ride of the car to make sure the tire isn't actually rubbing, even though i highly doubt that, that's just my buddies guess.

if raising the car doesn't fix it and the caliper is fine. next thing will be waiting for nicer weather to take my car to buddies shop and take a look at the bearings. they were recently replaced, a year ago, but maybe they didn't torque them right and they dried up. hopefully not...

the sound is so weird though in person. the camera makes it sound worse than it is lol, i had the camera mounted right next to the wheel u can sometimes see it and it's not even that loud in real life lol. sometimes it sounds like rubber on metal, sometimes it sounds like plastic on plastic, and sometimes it sounds like metal lightly rubbing on metal.

also weird thing is, when its really cold and the car is cold it doesn't make the sound at all, then once it warms up it comes back, then sometimes goes away, then comes back again. it's the stupidest, weirdest thing ever.
Old 02-28-14, 10:00 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems like it's definitely speed related. If that's the case, it narrows the issue down to something that rotates as the car rolls. Does it happen in reverse? Did you put the car in the air, put it in neutral, and spin the wheels by hand?
Old 03-01-14, 12:39 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Lol if you figure it out or the shop does let us know what it was after all lol
Old 03-01-14, 09:18 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

idk if it happens in reverse, ill check today cz im working so i'll definitely hear it today.

the CVs appear to be in great condition but ill get some grease in there.

Quick Reply: weird clicking/scratching/squeaking noise