Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2-wire and 3-speed sensor/sender

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 05:41 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2-wire and 3-speed sensor/sender

I have a manual transmission out of Pontiac Solstice and it has this 2-wire speed sensor. Now is there some type of converter to make it work with our Lexus 3-wire? I tried to wire my 3 wires and it won't work at all.

GM sensor looks exactly like this:

Name:  50-1008-large-w.jpg
Views: 11115
Size:  89.4 KB

Maybe i need to get a VSS buffer module like this:

http://www.rally.cc/gmvss.gif
Old 12-18-13, 06:54 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I'm not an electrical wizard, so hopefully one of the resident gurus will chime in, but I think that is a vr type sensor. Iirc, the speed sensor on the sc w58 is mechanically driven unit that generates a square wave which varies frequency based on speed. The vr sensor will vary BOTH frequency and amplitude, which makes interchanging the signals difficult without some kind of circuitry. I want to say that a Dakota digital box will do this type of conversion, but I'm not positive.
Old 12-18-13, 07:08 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Can you please show me the exact model of that Dakota Digital unit? I friend of mine mentioned that when I told him my tach don't work.
Old 12-18-13, 07:20 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Here's my 1997 VSS wiring on my wiring manual.

First, I connected RED (ground) and BLUE/RED (out) onto the 2 wires of the GM speed sensor and left the YELLOW wire capped. Speedometer is pulsing or jumping and there is some kind of interference when I click my turn blinkers... looks hilarious, like an analog stereo needle.

Then, I wired YELLOW AND BLUE/RED onto the GM speed sensor and grounded the RED wire on the chassis and no signal/movement at all.

Lastly, I joined RED and YELLOW on to one of the GM speed sensor wire and BLUE/RED onto another and it shorted my whole cluster, no lights at all. Good thing I found the 10A fuse on the driver side kick panel.

Name:  56119a0c-8f84-4f52-86ab-5828caf0d051.jpg
Views: 26237
Size:  53.7 KB

Continuation of the 3 wires on the next page...

Name:  20131218_201052.jpg
Views: 14340
Size:  95.2 KB
Old 12-18-13, 07:30 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JesLet
Can you please show me the exact model of that Dakota Digital unit? I friend of mine mentioned that when I told him my tach don't work.
I'm afraid I'm useless in that regard. I have never run a Dakota box, so I can't say for sure which model you would need. I would contact them directly, tell them what you are trying to do, and see what they recommend.
Old 12-19-13, 07:36 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Ok, the Dakota Digital box you will be looking for to convert the signal simply for the cluster to read is the SGI-5. I have already used one and had it working with the T-56 GM trans thats in my car now.

Issue with this is that my speed was not accurate due to the difference in gearing, so you will need to sort that out with a tune. I opted out of this and went with a GPS speedometer.

Are you doing an LSx swap?
Old 12-19-13, 08:11 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Ok, the Dakota Digital box you will be looking for to convert the signal simply for the cluster to read is the SGI-5. I have already used one and had it working with the T-56 GM trans thats in my car now.

Issue with this is that my speed was not accurate due to the difference in gearing, so you will need to sort that out with a tune. I opted out of this and went with a GPS speedometer.

Are you doing an LSx swap?
Do you have the same 2-wire sensor pictured above? I emailed Dakota Digital and Greg Karpe suggested the same model SGI-5.

So basically your cluster, specifically speedo and tach aren't working and you are using the navigation for speed?

I have done a 2JZGTE and AR5 Solstice swap..
Old 12-19-13, 08:18 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

I searched and I think we have the same GM speed sensor....

So did you wire the 2-wire GM speed sensor onto that Digital Dakota SGI-5?
Old 12-19-13, 08:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Okay, I'm not an electrical wizard, so hopefully one of the resident gurus will chime in, but I think that is a vr type sensor. Iirc, the speed sensor on the sc w58 is mechanically driven unit that generates a square wave which varies frequency based on speed. The vr sensor will vary BOTH frequency and amplitude, which makes interchanging the signals difficult without some kind of circuitry. I want to say that a Dakota digital box will do this type of conversion, but I'm not positive.
Bingo!!!
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/5...peed%20Sensors

just a thought but have you guys tried just using a 3 wire from an R series trans?
or using an older mechanical one and one of these.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...eed-sensor-mci

if not then yeah some type of analog to digital converter box.
Old 12-19-13, 08:40 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Do you have the same 2-wire sensor pictured above? I emailed Dakota Digital and Greg Karpe suggested the same model SGI-5.

So basically your cluster, specifically speedo and tach aren't working and you are using the navigation for speed?

I have done a 2JZGTE and AR5 Solstice swap..
I searched and I think we have the same GM speed sensor....

So did you wire the 2-wire GM speed sensor onto that Digital Dakota SGI-5?

Yes the T56 is a 2 wire sensor. I had all of my stock cluster working with the Dakota Digital boxes, but opted for a full aftermarket setup from SpeedHut to eliminate some of the wiring and stock harness garbage.

Its not for everyone, but this is my current cluster setup:

Old 12-19-13, 08:47 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

turbodremz, so its like: GM speed sensor to SGI-5 to Lexus 3-wire?

Did you get any Dakota devices besides SGI-5?

Last edited by JesLet; 12-19-13 at 09:07 AM. Reason: model number change
Old 12-19-13, 08:49 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Bingo!!!
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/5...peed%20Sensors

just a thought but have you guys tried just using a 3 wire from an R series trans?
or using an older mechanical one and one of these.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...eed-sensor-mci

if not then yeah some type of analog to digital converter box.
Ali, the MC converter is mechanical and the AR5 is some type of voltage driven...
Old 12-19-13, 08:52 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

I guess the 2 wire sensor need the ECM or some type of buffer like the SGI-5, correct me if i'm wrong

EDIT: Ali, on that wilbo site, it makes me think to wire the GM 2-wire sensor into SP2+ and SP2-

What you guys think?

Last edited by JesLet; 12-19-13 at 09:07 AM. Reason: model number change
Old 12-19-13, 09:00 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

turbodremz, so its like: GM speed sensor to SGI-1 to Lexus 3-wire?

Did you get any Dakota devices besides SGI-1?

GM signal wire to the SGI-5 signal input. SGI-5 Output to Lexus cluster. Only 1 wire from both the GM and Toyota sensor carry the signal, regardless of 2 or 3 wires. The thing your "fixing" with the DD box is the signal type/band.

I dont recall the wiring on the GM sensor, but one is signal the other is a ground. Run the signal to the DD input, and output should go to SC's body connector IK1 pin #7 based on your wiring diagram.

I had both the SGI-5 for speed and the SGI-8 for tachometer to work my LSx swap with the stock cluster. But becauseracecar, I got bored with the stock cluster and inaccurate speedometer due to gearing differences.

Here is a pic of the SGI-5, you can see with the pin-board that the wiring is very simple one signal in, and one out (outputs 1-5 have different presets that the manual from DD explains):

Last edited by turbodremz; 12-19-13 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-19-13, 09:06 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
GM signal wire to the SGI-5 signal input. SGI-5 Output to Lexus cluster. Only 1 wire from both the GM and Toyota sensor carry the signal, regardless of 2 or 3 wires. The thing your "fixing" with the DD box is the signal type/band.

I dont recall the wiring on the GM sensor, but one is signal the other is a ground. Run the signal to the DD input, and output should go to SC's body connector IK1 pin #7 based on your wiring diagram.

I had both the SGI-5 for speed and the SGI-8 for tachometer to work my LSx swap with the stock cluster. But becauseracecar, I got bored with the stock cluster and inaccurate speedometer due to gearing differences.

Here is a pic of the SGI-5, you can see with the pin-board that the wiring is very simple one signal in, and one out:

Awesome! I was looking at the SGI-8 as well... will get 'em both and I'll play with it.

By the way, would you consider rearranging your cluster like 2 big ones on the center and the small ones besides it... like typical Lexus/BMW cluster.. just a thought.

Appreciate your inputs guys

Quick Reply: 2-wire and 3-speed sensor/sender