Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My SC400 manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 07:06 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xtra
Hello
I am not sure if you already saw this thread but here is a link that might help you. I bumped into it and saved it because it had a lot of useful info.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16072

Thanks
Yeah thanks, I've been following his thread over in the LS forum too. In a couple more weeks when I get the adapter and clutch setup, I'll be doing a 5spd swap thread myself.
Old 10-25-13, 05:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Interesting that you did this to a '97 obd2 car. I plan on doing a W58 (or R154) into my '99 and am a bit worried about the wiring of the R154 into an obd2 car since it doesn't seem anyone has done it. I may just be asking you specifics about how you were able to figure out the KA wiring in the near future.
scENFORCER, I don't know if anyone specifically addressed this for you yet but as for electronics it should be the same set of issues to correct when swapping either a W58 or R154 into your '99 (SC300?). Mechanically you just need the appropriate R154 conversion parts. For wiring, you should follow Cartmill's '98 SC300 W58 swap threads. The transmission itself can be either. If you are using an MKIII R154 instead of a Soarer R154 you can use a Marlin Crawler VSS adapter for the speed signal.

For ECU's, you can technically source a '98 Supra NA 5-speed M/T ECU (for VVT-i control) if you don't want to use your Auto ECU. That might make things easier. '98 SC300, '99 SC300 and '98 Supra NA ECU electronics should not have any significant differences since they were all VVT-i.

Of course, you're probably going turbo if you're looking into an R154 in which case you'd use a GTE or aftermarket ECU eventually.
Old 10-25-13, 07:11 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
scENFORCER, I don't know if anyone specifically addressed this for you yet but as for electronics it should be the same set of issues to correct when swapping either a W58 or R154 into your '99 (SC300?). Mechanically you just need the appropriate R154 conversion parts. For wiring, you should follow Cartmill's '98 SC300 W58 swap threads. The transmission itself can be either. If you are using an MKIII R154 instead of a Soarer R154 you can use a Marlin Crawler VSS adapter for the speed signal.

For ECU's, you can technically source a '98 Supra NA 5-speed M/T ECU (for VVT-i control) if you don't want to use your Auto ECU. That might make things easier. '98 SC300, '99 SC300 and '98 Supra NA ECU electronics should not have any significant differences since they were all VVT-i.

Of course, you're probably going turbo if you're looking into an R154 in which case you'd use a GTE or aftermarket ECU eventually.
Hey Khan thanx for the reply. Its actually going into my vvti 400, and not planning on going turbo. I'm putting down some good power right now with a full header back exhaust and BFI. I also plan on giving it a supporting piggyback tune after the swap. Hoping for around 350+ whp.
I've read through cartmills thread, and am fairly certain about all the parts I'm going to require to make it work, like the vvs adaptor and 1uz swap parts.
I'm just a little gun-shy about starting it because I have 0 mechanical experience, and dont think this swap has been done yet before. I have a few mechanic friends that say they will lend a hand though, so hopefully with the combination of all the right parts, and some mechanical know-how we can make it work

Last edited by scENFORCER; 10-25-13 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 09:47 AM
Handsome
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is this a drift build? How far along are you into it?
Old 10-29-13, 11:46 AM
xtra
Rookie

Anyone can do this. It is not difficult at all.
If you've ever one an engine swap or a transmission swap, this should be a really easy.

If i had all the parts readily available, I could have done it in 1 day. There are unfortunately so little information and so many unknown. I had to figure out things myself most of the time.
My transmission had to go in and out about 5 times so far, in order to make improvement. I have done it so often that I can do a clutch swap in 35 minutes top.

So far my car is running great. The only issue so far is the idle. My car idles so low that it sometimes shuts off when I clutch it in at a stop. I just figured out how to fix it but haven’t made the adjustment yet on the car.
I had no idea how much trouble it would be to find something as simple as “How to adjusting the idle on a sc400” (PS: there is no idle adjustment screw on the SC400)
Again, because of the lack of info and misinformation.
Old 10-29-13, 02:52 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Are you going to adjust it using the TPS? I know if you move it, your idle will go up or down.

So I don't want to hijack your thread. I started my own swap thread in the LS forum, but wanted to get your opinion on this.

I noticed that the front of the Lexus drive shaft and the front part on the Nissan yoke are a very similar design. They both have a 3 bolt pattern design and are very close in size. I'm wondering if I could just have the front Lexus shaft modified to fit the Nissan yoke? It looks like it would work, and would save me from buying or making an adapter. Here is a pic.

Lexus on the left and Nissan on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
driveshaft.bmp (592.0 KB, 662 views)
Old 10-29-13, 09:39 PM
xtra
Rookie

Good day
That is a very good idea in theory, however, the Lexus driveshaft does not input in the transmission, both end of it are 3 bolt flanges and it’s rigid. The Nissan use a flex u join in order to swivel the driveshaft info the transmission and bolt it into the differential.
Having the front Nissan input shaft onto the Lexus driveshaft will work using an adapter but you will be unable, if not with great difficulty, able to put the driveshaft into the transmission.
You will literally have to jack the transmission into its mount with the driveshaft already in it for the rear 3 bolt to line up with the differential since the driveshaft will be a solid rigid piece. There won’t be any flex section anywhere.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Think it over, you might be able to find a way around it, it was just way too much trouble for me to get it done.
Old 11-04-13, 09:42 AM
xtra
Rookie

Hello Everyone
I am still working on a speed sensor adapter commonly found when swapping various transmission in our cars.
Here is what i came up with so far, i will test the prototype this weekend and i am hoping for the best.
Name:  IMG-20131104-00320.jpg
Views: 5971
Size:  53.1 KB

That's the stock speed sensor for the lexus transmission, i have built a adapter sleeve to make it fit into the nissan tranmission.
Name:  IMG-20131104-00323.jpg
Views: 6067
Size:  58.8 KB
I have also made a custom rod in order to attach the dizzy wheel onto to match the lenght.
Name:  IMG-20131104-00324.jpg
Views: 6004
Size:  62.1 KB
Here are the 2 peices.

Wish me luck, if this were to work, i would then be able to plug the OEM lexus SC400 plug into it and have the speed running without any complication.
Might have to be calibrated but i am not too worry about that since i will be replacing the differential anyways, i might just compensate depending on how this turns out.
Old 11-04-13, 03:36 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! I'll be watching this.
Old 11-04-13, 08:10 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome custom work on the speed sensor! You have access to a machine shop?
Old 11-05-13, 07:27 PM
xtra
Rookie

Update:
The speed sensor worked great. It 's only off by 2 KM/H according to my GPS.

I just came back from a 80 miles trip at various speed and the sensor is working amazingly.

To sum it up, yes it is possible to get the speed sensor from the Lexus working in the ka transmission,

This is what it looks like, no extra wires, no mess
Name:  DSC04802.jpg
Views: 6009
Size:  41.0 KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv9bN...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by xtra; 11-05-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 10:22 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

AWESOME! Could you go into more detail on how this is setup and the work that goes into this? I'd really like to have a working speedo like factory when I'm done with my swap.
Old 11-06-13, 12:44 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Awesome work, xtra! If it helps, for any further adjustment on the electrical end (to further correct speedo error) I've found the Yellowbox works very well. They even have a plug-n-play harness for the SC's VSS connector. Might be useful with rear diff ratio changes in the future.

That said, 2 km/h of variance is pretty negligible. I love seeing solutions like these!
Old 11-06-13, 02:02 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

In all this does your cruise control still work?
Old 11-06-13, 02:42 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I would imagine that the cruise would still work, because it's all a separate system. But don't quote me on that.

Quick Reply: My SC400 manual conversion