Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Do you trust your local mechanic or reputable shop or do it all yourself thread????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 08:16 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lokz
I just cannot seem to trust anyshop in town for any kind of maintenance. I am the only one driving a SC3 in 30 miles radius. Chances they know anything about a 1JZ SC3 is out of the question. I did the swap myself, it was a pain in the *** because i had to go to school in the morning and work on my car all afternoon till evening ( Thanks to a friend lending me his garage space). I still felt i was way better off doing it myself than giving it else where to get it done. Later i wasnt happy with the soarer harness extension. I tried to make appointment with about 5-6 shops for a harness swap and they would never call back and tell me if they are capable of doing it or not. I ended up giving my car to a fellow CL member to swap harness and do a little bit of cleanup job, since i dont have a garage space to work on. But i still feel i was way better off doing that , rather than giving it locally to someone who has no idea about what my car is about.

Once i had given my previous vehicle to a shop for a drive shaft bearings and fuel pump job. Never got it back running perfectly, hell i even had vibration after the bearing swap. Few 100 dollars on that thing taught me a lesson to learn how to do it all myself. I'm glad i can do most of the things myself now.

Shops here literally want us to beg them to work on general public cars like their tools were made of gold or something. Only thing i would really go to a shop would be welding, tuning and this like alignment or underbody stuff. I'm no way in hell going to let any shop touch my motor.

-L0kz
Not to be picking on you or sounding stupid but What are drive shaft bearings
Old 08-28-13, 05:37 AM
Lokz
Driver

carrier bearings i meant to say. My bad!
Old 08-28-13, 05:40 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I knew that sounded fishy... Lol
Old 08-28-13, 05:51 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lokz
carrier bearings i meant to say. My bad!
Center bearing who needs them solid 3.5" chromoly DS or nothin LOL
Old 08-28-13, 07:55 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I try to DIY. Not as much because I don't trust the shops, but becuase it is much cheaper, and it helps to have the knowledge of doing everything yourself.

Here is an extreme "trust" story that went down the drain very quickly, though, this wasn't a Lexus, thank goodness. It was a big, crappy, 2001 Chevrolet Express van. Boy, was that thing a lemon. Anyways, with this van, the motor needed to be taken out for everything. To do the spark plugs, you had to almost take the entire engine out. There was this one day when the oil pump inside the engine failed, and it wasnt circulating enough motor oil through the engine, and the pressure would not hold. BTW, this van had only 90k. This required the engine rods and bearings being removed. (well, of course. It's an express) My Dad got a call a couple of days later. The guy said..."Well, unfortunately, one of my mechanics blew your engine and it needs replacing now." He was like "WTC?" The mechanic was a snot and had put the engine bearings and rods in, completely backwards. Shot a rod immediately directly through the oil pan and made a hole the size of a quarter. On top of that, he had cracked the cap. My Dad wasn't very happy. An 8k van just depreciated to a 2k van. To make things worse, the owner wanted the $1200 of the money that they used to FIX THE VAN. Lets just say it wasn't the best day. They ended up giving us the van, siezed engine and all, for free! (how bout that! BONUS.)

Now, this place was a really trustworthy mechanic that my Dad knew for yearsand we had taken all of our vehicles to him, up until now. We haven't gone there since. Just shows how important trust is.

We're not planning to go back there any time soon, if ever. He lost a customer for life.

Of course, we aren't going to replace the oil pump ourselves. But if one happens to go out, Moneysworth will not get it.

On the positive side, the 2001 Express hunk of crap was sold for 1200 with no motor. Figures. 7k down the drain from a careless mechanic.
Old 08-28-13, 10:18 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Mark to be honest with you I learned all this crap on my own, trialing error, breaking stuff, spending ridiculous amount of money. Setup after setups, from 1jz, to na-t, from 2jzgte to na-t, na-t to na-t, then na-t , then gte, then another na-t.
I wish someone would just spoon feed me.
Ali will tell you when did stuff on my car and learned how stuff worked on my 2nd SC with all kinds of Toyota parts on it and modification.
Oh Yes that car had so many combination of Toyota parts each round it was like experimental science. My favorite is still that na-t setup with the vvti head w/vvti delete using gte cams and running completely distributorless with the single cam sensor and oil pump crank sensor on aem with vvti coils.
That thing ran so hard If I remember right I think the headgasket went the next day on an overboost 20+psi or something. My hand might as well have been glued to the oh s#!& handle.
Old 08-28-13, 10:50 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Yes 24 psi because the BC took a dump on me, Again I learned from that ... the hard way.
Old 08-28-13, 03:49 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Omar try and do another one of those setups. It sounds like a handful and another great DIY by you.
Old 08-28-13, 07:18 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to! but one of my friend on here can't stand my na-t setups, he thinks they're weak...

I'm redoing my na-t setup change something around.
Old 08-28-13, 07:24 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I want to! but one of my friend on here can't stand my na-t setups, he thinks they're weak...

I'm redoing my na-t setup change something around.

Cough, Cough, Cough. now I'm hurt Its just another unicorn!!! LOL
Old 08-30-13, 01:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The headgasket was just intimidated by all the awesomeness that was running through it
Old 08-30-13, 05:52 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Prolly so. Head gaskets are a pain to change too. Lol
Old 08-31-13, 05:36 AM
Drift101
Rookie

i am a machanic by trade went to school for it years ago an i have been with nissan for 10 years now, i have seen good and bad things about dealerships its all about the guys and how deadicated they are to finding the right problems, me personaly i hate just throwing parts at a car once in a while might get lucky but i like to do this right the first time, i have been doing a lot of performace stuff on the side for years, been building nissans for people like crazy mostly sr20's, but i have a buddy that had a swaped rsx with a tsx k24 motor swap was done ok, but then when the same shop boosted it thats where i found a lot of stuff wrong with it, the car never got a good final tune they ended up screwing him out of money and what not the car held to gether for about 9 months till it broke a few ring lands, so a good buddy and me tore the thing apart new pistons redid the head new head gasket studs all the good stuff, i ended up fixing a bunch of wireing, intercooler piping that was rubbing on its self, and the big thing to me was there was no heat wrap on anything, if some of you don't know hondas with that motor the exhaust manifold is in the back against the fire wall, so there was alot of heat sitting there, i wraped the manifold down pipe and cleand it all up i had the car for over a month fixing issues after that it was awesome ran great got a new tune made 500whp was a bit crazy but it was a sweet car. its all about time an the little things
Old 08-31-13, 06:37 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Great story by the way. There has been a lot of our SC owners seem to come from Nissan.
Old 08-31-13, 07:33 AM
Drift101
Rookie

ya i started out at a toyota dealer was my first dealership just out side boston was crazy busy all the time, but i cam accross the sc from a buddy so i gave up the 240 for the sc and man i'm glad i did its a blast to drive just can't wait to put some more money into the build

Quick Reply: Do you trust your local mechanic or reputable shop or do it all yourself thread????